Masters of the Universe - Collector's Edition

TerryRed

• Content Provider

Demo of how progression and Toggle Modes works

Compared to all previous versions of the original table, the new Collector's Edition will have many more modes and features. Now you have objectives and progression for every shot and it's modes.

However, you have the choice for what mode is active for with each shot. You can either change them by hitting inner loops / targets (which only affect one ramp or kicker), or you can forcefully toggle all 3 shots to their next mode with the action / plunger button.

This allows control of gameplay that can be more fun, as progression for each shot and every mode is tracked and displayed with 3 small inserts located at every shot. The colour for all inserts will change to match the active mode.

Its a bit easier to show than explain, so that's what this video is for. This is still work in progress and subject to changes... but this video should give you a good idea how it will work.

• Content Provider

MAGIC SHOTS Demo - Very cool new feature!

I wanted to add Orko in the game somehow and make him more usable. So I created a new feature called Magic Shots.

This basically works by holding down the action button at anytime (except MB), and if you have a Magic Shot available (shown on the left of the apron) then Orko will use his magic to capture the ball, and then transport it elsewhere on the table... and then he'll make the ball magically move and make a shot for you!

This can be handy to save a ball about to drain, or it can be used during a mode to easily make jackpot shots to allow for easier progression.

You'll get 1 Magic Shot added for each new ball. So if you play a 5 ball game, then on the last ball you could save all your Magic Shots to complete a mode easily... or just for simply saving your ball from draining. I may allow for getting more Magic Shot rewards somehow.

Orko has multiple voiceovers, and he moves and animates when casting the spells. You see a magic effect around the ball which lights up the table. Neat stuff. This video shows you how it works!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Demo of new DMD and Collectibles - Super nostalgia!

Progress is carrying along. Now I have the new collectibles features working and all new DMD with some videos and new rendered text and artwork etc. It's all coming together really nicely.

Your objective in the game is to collect all the toys from the 80's. Action figures, vehicles, and playsets. You can do this with multiple shots, clearing each mode, and other things. There are currently over 40 of them. That my become more or less... we'll see how it goes.

I just had to add the 80's toy commercial voice over guy ("From Mattel") to indicate your progression for getting a collectible.

This video shows how that all works as well as the new End of Ball Bonuses and much more. I'll show some of the other modes in another video. Fun stuff!

Demo of new DMD and Collectibles - Super nostalgia!

Progress is carrying along. Now I have the new collectibles features working and all new DMD with some videos and new rendered text and artwork etc. It's all coming together really nicely.

Your objective in the game is to collect all the toys from the 80's. Action figures, vehicles, and playsets. You can do this with multiple shots, clearing each mode, and other things. There are currently over 40 of them. That my become more or less... we'll see how it goes.

I just had to add the 80's toy commercial voice over guy ("From Mattel") to indicate your progression for getting a collectible.

This video shows how that all works as well as the new End of Ball Bonuses and much more. I'll show some of the other modes in another video. Fun stuff!

• Content Provider

New! Sorceress Struggles hurry up mode demo

In this new hurry up mode, the Sorceress is trapped in another dimension. You have a limited time to rescue her. There's only one problem... her powers are working in reverse in this other dimension!

That means at different times during the countdown, when her powers reverse, your flipper controls will also reverse! When this happens, any flipper you are holding down will also reverse, which makes it tricky when you are about to make a shot!

The music and lighting fading up and down makes for an almost dream-like sequence. If you are desperate, you an always use an Orko Shot to help you out. You will win the Zoar action figure if you complete the mode.

If you fail... well, just like Skeletor always says... "Ah! Just like a woman!"

• Content Provider

New! HORDAK is HORRIBLE - hurry up mode demo

This new hurry up mode has Hordak is being... well, horrible. He is draining your energy to power his Magna-Beam Transporter. You must stop him before it is fully charged!

During the countdown, at different times the lighting will flash red, which will drain your energy and your SCORE! If you make any shot that is lit as red at any time, you will also have your score drained! (and Hordak will laugh and snort at you!) This also prevents you from getting the jackpot on that shot!

You need to hit the bumpers enough times for one jackpot, and the he-man kicker for the other. During this time the ramps will toggle red, so don't hit them!

When you get the first two jackpots, then the ramps become the new shots to hit, and the bumpers and kicker will toggle red... so stay away from them. Especially the bumpers as each hit drains your score, and that can add up quick!

If you complete the mode, you collect the Hordak action figure!

Man-E more modes are coming!

image.thumb.png.20c728e5bcc4b8ae53ee3ef0fcb0d35f.png

First off...Thanks so much for all your hard work. I have the VPX conversion beta 9a w/ PUP & everything works great except for the annoying fact that as soon as the table loads my Shaker motor goes crazy & won't stop until I completely exit the VPX and start a new table. Any idea what could be causing that? BTW - I have 350 tables functioning normally on my current setup & I'm using VPX 8, but have tried loading it w/ VPX 7.2 w/ the same results. Please help!!

• Content Provider
4 hours ago, rvaughn said:

First off...Thanks so much for all your hard work. I have the VPX conversion beta 9a w/ PUP & everything works great except for the annoying fact that as soon as the table loads my Shaker motor goes crazy & won't stop until I completely exit the VPX and start a new table. Any idea what could be causing that? BTW - I have 350 tables functioning normally on my current setup & I'm using VPX 8, but have tried loading it w/ VPX 7.2 w/ the same results. Please help!!

This is not a topic for that table. No idea what is going on with it as VPX has been updated numerous times, and that table could be not complete or modded.

My advice... wait for the FP Collector's Edition. You won't regret it.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KiwiBri said:

WOW!!  I stumbled upon this thread and this looks incredible! I may have to look to install FP now.. I only use VPX... but if its the only way I can play this.. 

You should really install FP regardless, if for nothing else, for the other @TerryRed tables, he work miracles under FP...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a Masters of the Universe fan! Your FP table is really cool and I play it regularly. THIS table is simply incredible, the amount of detail, the lovingly realized figures, the sounds and the whole thing is simply incredible!

The figure collection mode is just amazing!

According to my rating, this will be THE one and only MotU Pinball table.

I know you shouldn't hope for an early release, but I would be happy to have a merry Christmas with this table.

Best regards from Germany.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

So... I did a thing...

Over the last day or so, I decided to import and build the entire MOTU CE table in Blender with the possibility of prebaking some shadows, lighting, and the VR Room. I don't know how much will carry over to FP.

The VR Room should be able to and it looks so much nicer with prebaked shadows. I had to build up the entire cabinet and backbox as that doesn't import into Blender (since FP generates those things automatically based on the size settings given in the editor).

Either, way, I think this turned out great!

This is the before...

image.thumb.png.be0705a1025049a8847105ffc943c74c.png

...and this if the after...

MOTUCE-Table1.thumb.jpg.342b0a3b277d7be46ba75da30f7666a5.jpg

MOTUCE-Table2.thumb.jpg.56dc6a9f061c9c2b0ff503e474fdf8f6.jpg

MOTUCE-Upper.thumb.jpg.4414851f652c43b497f87c25f7eef7c5.jpg

MOTUCE-Lower.thumb.jpg.4e5796271a5d24f6ed87490916e949cd.jpg

MOTUCE-Stridor.thumb.jpg.bbbc627f1ca9bc8d0719837619f76618.jpg

MOTUCE-BC.thumb.jpg.ef816ef27d1482154959fa048f54cc62.jpg

MOTUCE-VRRoom1.thumb.jpg.11214d9f17c16b669eaa65506670adb9.jpg

• Content Provider

After some frustrations with figuring out why Blender was not saving my baked textures correctly...

...successful first tests in FP!

This is the model with No Baked textures.

image.thumb.png.d282b7b2cbb448377fb949344692c18b.png

This is the same model now with baked textures with shadows, etc.

image.thumb.png.bd3ec8493141f92553baa66625892396.png

...and here is how they are looking in FP now. You can see the depth the baked shadows adds to both the models and the floor.

As you can see, I now have a Snake Mountain model I purchased and have to painfully convert down from 3 million + polygons down to a lower polygon model. I'll need to paint it and add eyes to make it look nicer. I always wanted this in the room so it matches the layout of the table (that has Snake Mountain art on the left side, and Castle Greyskull on the right side.

MastersoftheUniverse-CollectorsEdition(PinEventV2FizX-1.0)33-bake22.thumb.png.14fb727a176b129060614c365a71ae3a.png

MastersoftheUniverse-CollectorsEdition(PinEventV2FizX-1.0)33-bake2.thumb.png.593e67cb111d61866b6079181b35eb56.png

• Content Provider

Snake Mountain... painted, textured, and baked!

This model was a high detailed model, meant for 3D printing with no textures. I had nothing to go by except for pics of the older toys... so I tried my hand a 3D model painting. Kind of neat, but Blender had only two tools. Paintbrush and Smear... so it was hard to get something super detailed. But that's ok, as when I baked the model with shadows, that helps to make up for it.

This is the model as it was, with no paint / textures, and after I reduced it from 3 million + polys down to about 120,000.

image.thumb.png.512d8d36f51dbadb5acc7eedec4a7951.png

Second pic is after painting and adding the eye texture using shrink wrap.

image.thumb.png.cc8a279f37d658cdcd0e0b4055ebfabb.png

Third pic is after baking in some lighting and shadows. This is now in-game. Looks MUCH better now.

image.thumb.png.8e0450121436e84c14b13c717d0b14df.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

I've been busy.

I've added more models and toys to MOTU CE, and have completely updated most visuals and the textures to use pre-baked lighting and shadows (for the main lighting, G.I. and spotlights).

Snake Mountain Snake

I added a new Snake Mountain snake model. This was from the Snake Mountain 3d scanned model, so I had to convert this down to more optimized numbers of polygons. I also had to manually paint the snake like I did for Snake Mountain, since it didn't have any textures created for it. I tried to make it look similar to the classic 80's toy I grew up with. Turned out great.

image.thumb.png.094760701fddb524c73bfb2611895cd7.png

The snake is positioned on the top left ramp. When a ball rolls through the entire ramp, the snake will rotate to follow the ball as it passes by, then returns to its default position when the ball exits the ramp.

image.thumb.png.e3b5a3426c21e1ab1bdf348cb83746b8.png

Snake Mountain doorway and door

I really wanted to add more to the table for Snake Mountain visuals. The left side of the table is geared towards Snake Mountain, while the right side is geared towards Castle Grayskull.

So I purchased a 3d model of the classic Snake Mountain toy's doorway and its wolf head door. This was a tricky one to convert and remodel. I also prebaked new textures for both the doorway and the door to make it look so much nicer with shadows.

The doorway is placed at the halfway point of the ripper ramp, which now converts to a different type of ramp at the doorway.

image.thumb.png.fa7b5557a54953349625f635c21008db.png

Snake Mountain bridge

I really wanted to add the bridge from the Snake Mountain toy to the table.

I wasn't sure where I could use it. Then it clicked. Why not convert the ripper ramp's second half to the bridge and combine that with the snake, and doorway to act as a complete "escape from Snake Mountain" type of ramp.

So I purchased a detailed model of the classic 80's toy bridge. I had to remodel this in a way so it would follow the shape of the invisible wireramp while reducing the polygons. I also prebaked new textures to add shadows that really add a nicer depth to the look of the model on the table.

image.thumb.png.b3d3d5d38fc2695ee30850c12bb698fe.png

How it works.

When the ball goes through the ripper ramp, it will roll towards the snake which will rotate to look at the ball. When the ball passes the snake, it rotates to follow the ball rolling down the ramp towards the door. When the ball hits the door it smashes it open. The door uses BAM's miniplayfield easing feature (set to bounce) to easily animate the door to have a cool bounce effect when it opens and hits its max rotation.

Then the ball passes through the doorway and transfers to a short wireramp which then becomes the bridge. The bridge will "glow" to the same colour as what the neon light on the ramp is showing. This cool effect uses BAM's custom model RIM feature.

When the ball rolls off the bridge to the left inner lane, the bridge glow turns off, the door will close (with a bounce effect), and the snake returns to default position.

image.thumb.png.7ba079f6b5f09f0cecac83ef322c1176.png

Video demo of the Snake Mountain ramp toys:

Blender and prebaking textures for lighting and shadows.

I've spent a lot of time with Blender to learn how to do some prebaking of some lighting and shadows of the table and most items. This completely elevates the visuals of the table. The results... especially during gameplay and in VR, looks awesome.

This requires the table to be completely imported into Blender, rebuilt, and have all default textures applied. I had to recreate all the table's G.I. and spotlights.

Future Pinball has realtime dynamic lighting that looks amazing, but those lights can't recreate shadows for all the items on the tables. We can use BAM shadowmaps for every light, but that only applies to the playfield surface.

By prebaking textures for many table items in Blender with G.I. on and G.I. off conditions, you can create a much more realistic look to the table. The lighting and shadows applied across all items can really make a big difference in how the table looks and the depth effect it gives.

I have to click on each table item in Blender, then have Blender "bake" the item with the lighting conditions I have set. Then I save those rendered images and import them into FP. I have to do this process for each item one at a time. In most cases I do this with G.I. lights off (just the main / sun light is used)... and also do this with the G.I lights on.

Blender does this using ray tracing, so you can have all aspects of lighting, reflection, emission from all items on the table have an effect of the rendered texture. I find that I don't like to use a "full reflection" rendered look, as that only looks good from one camera view. (the ray traced reflected illusion loses it's effect once your camera view changes or if you play in VR).

Then I change the table's code to change all textures on the table for G.I. on and G.I. off and other lighting conditions such as spotlights being turned on / off. I didn't go crazy to do this for "everything", as FP's dynamic lighting combined with the prebaked textures I do use, makes for a fantastic combination when used correctly together. this work really well with FP's moving camera views, and looks stunning in VR!

image.thumb.png.43a83e58bb570fee3c2dde783c9117c8.png

The Combined Result!

Here is how the table looks with the prebaked textures in-game! I LOVE how this turned out. When you compare it to the table with the original textures, it really stands out. The direct and indirect ray traced lighting / shadows on the playfield, backwalls, sidewalls, ramps, plastics, metal guides, etc really works nicely in all views.

When I play this in VR, it looks like a real table is in front of me, and the toys look like the real toys from my childhood. Now I'm going to want to do this for other tables now! (this was always the plan for Silent Hill).

image.thumb.png.b4c3aab4d4c0be0bf2ec465a72e24868.png

image.thumb.png.8ccc55a023f51c29c11818a9a1d0bb1c.png

image.thumb.png.956648f06422074f62db92db2cd7827a.png

Now that I'm at this point, I need to focus on getting some of the Man-E Modes done.

• Content Provider

New mode: Orko's Outta Here!

So far, the current main modes I have for MOTU CE are:

4 multiball modes (He-Man, Ripper, Castle, Skeletor), She-Ra Sling Shots, Sorceress Struggles, Hordak is Horrible, collecting all the action figures / vehicles / playsets.... and you can also use "Orko Shots" to have Orko use his magic to make a shot for you.

MAN-E Modes

Man-E Modes are multiple additional modes you can play when you enter the He-Man kicker (and Man-E Modes is enabled). The first of those modes is:

Orko is Outta Here!

In this mode, Orko is up to his bad magic tricks, and pisses off Man at Arms. Orko is scared of his fury, so he tries to fly away to hide. Your job is to find him, by hitting whichever shot makes its way to where Orko has flown to (no blinky lights to help you). You only have 60 secs to complete all the shots to catch Orko. If you catch him, you complete the mode and collect the Orko action figure.

When the mode ends, Orko magically transports back to his normal spot by the plunger.

More Man-E Modes are coming!

Edited by TerryRed

It's great that you pay attention to the details, the Man-E-Face modes are ideal for this, but you have to figure it out first. I think it's great that the different faces can be seen on the FullDMD / Backglass as an intro, great!

The Filmation clips fit the table perfectly, the soundtrack is already blasting, an absolute retro feeling.

Would you mind giving us a little spoiler as to what the 40 figures to collect are?

Please don't take it as a criticism, the Snake Mountain you chose is very "fashionable" and I think the good old Snake Mountain, which you also have as a beautiful model, would fit in better.

I've attached a picture that was upscaled with PS and one from the internet that might fit better.

image.png.bee4e6ea85fc46b32b3f6c9338ad7257.png

SNAKE2.thumb.png.69695c9c2c10d963c302b25a53bf5b5f.png

snakeMountain.thumb.jpg.d1c10dd0a890c6d9af7024319978326a.jpg

Finally, I look forward to further videos on the progress of the development of this ingenious table.

I'm currently preparing my iScored banner to get a highscore!

The models are looking amazing. Your attention to detail reminds me of Pixar’s toy story where the army men had that extra plastic circle on the back. Only people who played with the toys would notice. Great work!