Need help with cab issues

ryesteve

I'm running into some issues with my cab that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with.

The first issue is with the DMD.  Every so often, the DMD stops responding because PIN2DMD is crashing or getting unloaded or whatever.  I'll get a "PIN2DMD not found" popup from Popper, and PIN2DMD no longer appears in the system tray.  Sometimes a reboot gets it back right away, but other times I'll get a message like "the previous loaded usb device was not recognized" and I've got to restart again to try to get it back.  It seems somewhat table-related, but as far as I know, tables shouldn't be crashing PIN2DMD.  It's happened more than once with Last Action Hero and Tales of the Arabian Nights.

The other issue I have is that sometimes holding the flipper button causes all keys to stop responding properly.  This happened once while I was moving the table around in camera mode, and again during gameplay while cradling the ball.  What happens is that only one out of every 3 or 4 keystrokes gets recognized.  On keyboard as well, not just the cab buttons; and in any application.  Eg, if I close popper and vpx and open up notepad and start typing keys, it doesn't register most of them.  Reboot gets it back, but I don't know why this would be happening.

It feels like maybe these issues might be related, ie crappy controller boards that are bugging out, but I'm very ignorant about this stuff, so I have no idea.  If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Pin2DMD error... do you have good/clean/enough power going to it? USB devices dropping can be poor cable (data) connection or it can also be the PCB running it falling over (a bit)  if there's not the right voltage going in all the time.

I've been getting a lot of help with the cab from someone who knows way more about this stuff than I do, and he diagnosed a glitchy power supply that was feeding the solenoids, so I'm hoping if it was something similar with the dmd he would've flagged that too.  I haven't had a recurrence of this issue in the past week since I posted, and I'm in the middle of a "fix all my POVs" project, so I've probably loaded and launched over a couple hundred different tables since then... so I'm still thinking this is somewhat table-specific somehow.