[New VP10 Alert] Volkan Steel and Metal (Original 2023)

• Content Provider

Volkan Steel and Metal (Original 2023)

WELCOME TO VOLKAN STEEL & METAL

An Original by onevox & oqqsan

onevox: Game Concept, Layout & Graphic Design, 3D Modeling, Sound Design
oqqsan:  Programming, Lighting Design, Special Effects, Animations, Game & Rules Improvements 

apophis: Fleep sounds, nFozzy physics, DOF, Consulting
leojreimroc & sixtoe: VR Implementation

Testing by VpinWorkshop: Bietekwiet, PinStratsDan, H3RBSKIx, leojreimroc, JoePicasso, Smaug, porggy, sixtoe, bord, iaakki, Thalamus, fluffhead, tyson171, Wylte, Arelyel Krele, Primetime5k, Robby King Pin

Special thanks to Joe Picasso, the VPX dev team, and DJRobX & Rusty Cardores for SSF 

Attract Music: Industrial Elegance by Gooseworx 

Volkan Steel & Metal is a unique game with toggled scoring where some strategically placed targets change scoring to Player 2 (Robert Baron), and others change it back to Player 1 (Capt. Tweed). In a one player game, your goal is retain as much of the "money" as possible. Once a score is awarded, it is retained by the player.

Hold Left MagnaSave button to display game info, Right MagnaSave to flip pages

The backstory will help understand the rules and concept:

Volkan Steel & Metal is an original game design based on a late 1800s Steampunk metal factory founded by Capt. Augustus Tweed in the town of Irongate. The Company found massive success with Tweed's discovery that Strontium, when used in alloys, makes metals stronger and lighter. This proved valuable in the development of Steampunk airships, devices and prosthetics. Competitors were unsuccessful in re-creating Tweed's formulas, so their tactics turned ruthless. Tweed's sister, Abigail, naively met and married Mr. Robert Baron while in college, and convinced her brother to hire Baron at Volkan to improve their standing in the community. But Tweed suspects Baron is trying to take control of the Company, or is a spy trying to steal the formulas. Robert and Abigail think Tweed is paranoid. 

Your goal is to complete orders for metals and alloys while retaining as much of the Volkan’s profits. To complete an order, you will need Coal (saucer) to stoke the Blast Furnace (upper left VUK) and raise the temperature. You will also need a certain amount of Steam and Electricity for each order to run the factory. And, of course, the necessary ores needed for each order: Iron, Copper, Tin, and Zinc bumpers & Carbon standup. Plus, Volkan’s secret element: Strontium drop targerts. Once everything is collected for each order, the Blast Furnace door opens in the upper center. A successful shot completes the order.

TOGGLED SCORING 
ONE PLAYER GAME 

Build your fortune by running Volkan Steel  & Metal. Your money is collected in Tweed’s bank account. But your scheming brother-in-law, Robert Baron, will STEAL your money and MEDDLE in your affairs if you’re not careful. Two Baron Blue standups switch scoring from Tweed's Player 1 score to Baron's Player 2 score.  Two Tweed Green targets switch scoring from Baron’s score back to Tweed’s  score. Play as Baron! Use flippers to choose if you want to play as Tweed or Baron before launching Ball 1.

TWO PLAYER GAME 
Must be selected before first ball is launched. In a two player game where Tweed is Player 1 and Baron is Player 2, both players can add to their own score and switch scoring to their opponent with the Blue and Green targets. So keep an eye on the center console (apron) light, playfield lights or backbox to see who has control. Player with the most money at the end of the game takes control of Volkan.

Hold Left MagnaSave button for game info, Right MagnaSave to flip pages

• Content Provider
5 minutes ago, Busstoph75 said:

File size 54b? 🤔Screenshot_20230705_081649_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2b8c2ab3b3bb789cfbf938a04092bd48.jpg file?

VPU is having occasional upload problems with large files, so it's a text file with a Mega link as a temporary measure.

• Content Provider
44 minutes ago, Tommy714 said:

When I try to run it I get the following:

I'd put money on your VPX being out of date!

Visual Pinball X (Standalone EXE) 10.7.3 - https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=33262

Other updates available:

Visual PinMAME (Standalone DLL) 3.5 -https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11571

New (Replacement) Rom's for 3.5 VPinMame or higher  - https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3928-new-vp10-alert-super-mario-bros-gottlieb-1992/?do=findcomment&comment=42960

B2S Backglass Server 2.0.2 - https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=12553

• Content Provider
On 7/9/2023 at 9:48 AM, Tommy714 said:

Ok, got it working with the newest version of VPX.  Now, since there is no DMD rom, how do I display a blank on the DMD screen?  

On 7/9/2023 at 6:22 PM, Tommy714 said:

Got the table working great.  Wonderful work, many compliments.

Now, is there a way to make my DMD screen blank so I don't have to look at my windows desktop since there is no rom file?

3 hours ago, Tommy714 said:

How do I get something to display on my DMD screen since there is no ROM?

• 3 weeks later...

The table is great thank you.  I am struggling with the DMD.  I have a 3 screen setup.  Unfortunatelly I used the easy pinup baller installer so the ignorance of know how is lacking when issues come up.  Currently my DMD is blank.  What is a good option to get my head around how this is supposed to work?

Thanks

Andrew

VSAM DMD.jpg

1 hour ago, blakhawk111 said:

The table is great thank you.  I am struggling with the DMD.  I have a 3 screen setup.  Unfortunatelly I used the easy pinup baller installer so the ignorance of know how is lacking when issues come up.  Currently my DMD is blank.  What is a good option to get my head around how this is supposed to work?

Thanks

Andrew

VSAM DMD.jpg

Right click on the backglass and in the settings go down to Edit Screenres. This will open the B2S_ScreenResIdentifier. Just let it determine which screens you have and then tell it which ones are for what, pf, backglass and dmd. It will create a tablename.res for you

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get the DMD on this  game.  This is what I get when I right click on the backglass. I can ssee a DMD but it's super tiny in the right top corner of the backglass. I love this game but can never see my score. Do I need to update my b2S? I see no b2S_ScreenResIdentifier. I just did baller installer a few months back.  ALL my other games work fine with the DMD, it's just this one that has no DMD (and no way to read the score). 

This may be my favorite of my 300 games. This is killing me not being able to play it right. It's seriously the only game I want top play. ...and I have alot of games.  I have another 1000+ I don't put on my machines.

20230817_173522[1].jpg

20230817_173510[1].jpg

Not a very active forum. Bummer. Here is my temp solution for others caught in the "VP Info/Help Desert" that is this hobby in 2023. Expect No answer or 5 different answers to most questions. 

For now I just instaled the "FullDMD" backglass (B2s file), so that has the scores on it. I'll let you know when I figure the 3rd screen out. For now there are 2 options for the B2S file. Try the other one but make sure you delete the one you were using in the Tables folder. Then at least you can see the score. 

To anyone able or willing to help. Please save the day! We need more Heros in this business. 

• Content Provider

You don't have b2S_ScreenResIdentifier because your B2S Server install is out of date. 

Current version is 2.0.3. Read the wiki that is linked on the front page and follow instructions carefully.

https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass

I don't have this table installed, so I can't help otherwise. But the table would have been built based on players using current software. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...