Visual Pinball And Dof First Time

PTcrusher

Hi,

I'm building an arcade cabinet that is pinball-capable. The control panel has some leaf-switch buttons, the monitor rotates and I bought a fancy illuminated launch button to put on front.

Basicly what I'm about to do is to get the launch button to lit only when it is supposed to. I mean the launch button is only supposed to be ON when there's a ball to be launched.

The lauch ball is going to be controlled by a device similar to this one: http://goo.gl/ovnFaP

I'm trying to compile some information in order to setup my system for the FIRST TIME but I'm a little bit lost.

Could someone give me a list of things that i need to do, till i get the table rom to interact with the launch ball light?

1. I need to download and install Visual Pinball, B2SServer and Direct Output Framework

2. From my understanding i need to code a class that implements IOutputController and calls the USB Relay methods to turn the relay on and off.

3. Do i need to also code a custom Output class like LedWizOutput or do i have a generic one? Do i need to code a Toy also or what is the buildin Toy that better suits my setup?

4. Compilte DOF

5. ??????????????? Now i need to glue the pieces together ???????????????

What are the files that need to be configured in order to the table rom be able to intect with BOF?

How does the table rom nows which method of the OutputController to call?

Thanks in advance

• Content Provider

Hi

You got most of the points right.

If you really want to use a output controller which is not yet supported by DOF, you will indeed need to create a specific output controller class which implements the IOutputController interface. This interface requires the output controller class to have a list of outputs, which can be used by the toys of the framework.

It is unlikely that you will need to code your own toys. The existing toys should just work fine with your output controller class.

The table rom has no idea of output controllers. Thats the piece of magic which happens in the config of DOF. If you use ini files as generated by the config tool (recommended since those configs do already have data for the launch button), they will try to match a LedWizEquivalent toy which has the same numer as the ini file. You can setup a LedWizEquivalent toy in your cabinet config which uses the outputs of your output controller.

As a starting point for your own output controller class implementation, you might want to have a look at the NullOutputController class in the framework.

If you got some code ready, I'll be happy to review it or to assist. If it works fine I'll be happy to integrate it into DOF.

Regards

Tom

Hi

You got most of the points right.

If you really want to use a output controller which is not yet supported by DOF, you will indeed need to create a specific output controller class which implements the IOutputController interface. This interface requires the output controller class to have a list of outputs, which can be used by the toys of the framework.

It is unlikely that you will need to code your own toys. The existing toys should just work fine with your output controller class.

The table rom has no idea of output controllers. Thats the piece of magic which happens in the config of DOF. If you use ini files as generated by the config tool (recommended since those configs do already have data for the launch button), they will try to match a LedWizEquivalent toy which has the same numer as the ini file. You can setup a LedWizEquivalent toy in your cabinet config which uses the outputs of your output controller.

As a starting point for your own output controller class implementation, you might want to have a look at the NullOutputController class in the framework.

If you got some code ready, I'll be happy to review it or to assist. If it works fine I'll be happy to integrate it into DOF.

Regards

Tom

Thanks Tom now i have an idea how the things play together.

To be honest i not even got the usb relay yet but, if i manage to integrate it i'll let you now and i'll be glad to share the code.

Best Regards,

Edgar Santos

Archived