Problems Loading VPU With Chrome PC

I have had this issue for around 6 months now since a website update. Using Chrome on PC and clicking my VPU Bookmark results in (90% of the time) a 30 to 45 second delay in the web page loading, same for going from page to page while in VPU.  Sometimes (5% of the time) VPU will not load at all, while another 5% of the time VPU will load pretty quick but still not immidiate like it used to. If I use Edge the site will load all of the time at a decent speed but still not immediate like it used to. Thinking it's a Chrome issue I have made sure Chrome is up to date, deleted cookies, signed in and out of VPU, created a new bookmark, cleared the Chrome/PC cache and a couple of other things. Weird, if I am on the Virtual Pinball Spreadsheet and click on a table that is located on VPU it will always load at a decent speed. So I am at a loss as to why this is happening with Chrome and wonder if anyone else has seen this issue and maybe have a solution....other than switch to Edge ? :) 

• Administrators

Not sure what to tell you at this time... I don't have access to my PC or tools that I'd need to troubleshoot.  In the middle of moving and have everything packed up.  Forced to use my SteamDeck for now...  I'm using Chrome and don't see that behavior. 

I'm planning on moving the site to a new more dedicated host and faster server in the very near future.  We should all see better speeds when that change happens.

1 hour ago, studlygoorite said:

I have had this issue for around 6 months now since a website update. Using Chrome on PC and clicking my VPU Bookmark results in (90% of the time) a 30 to 45 second delay in the web page loading, same for going from page to page while in VPU.  Sometimes (5% of the time) VPU will not load at all, while another 5% of the time VPU will load pretty quick but still not immidiate like it used to. If I use Edge the site will load all of the time at a decent speed but still not immediate like it used to. Thinking it's a Chrome issue I have made sure Chrome is up to date, deleted cookies, signed in and out of VPU, created a new bookmark, cleared the Chrome/PC cache and a couple of other things. Weird, if I am on the Virtual Pinball Spreadsheet and click on a table that is located on VPU it will always load at a decent speed. So I am at a loss as to why this is happening with Chrome and wonder if anyone else has seen this issue and maybe have a solution....other than switch to Edge ? :) 

Yeah since the front page went down the only avenue we have is Unread Content as a substitute and it sometimes hangs up just as you say.  What I've noticed is that content with fewer posts load much faster than threads with a couple hundred posts.  And it's not Chrome nor Edge (which is chrome based anyway) It's the server as I sometimes get 50x errors. We just have to wait for Dazz to get moved in and the new host set up. 

• Content Provider
3 minutes ago, Cliffy said:

Yeah well when you're on dialup Charles it wouldn't matter what browser you're using :) J/K!

Weren't those the good ole days? lol

If you wanted to download something over 100 MB's, you left computer running all night, and hoped you didn't get kicked offline and had to start download all over! lol

Nick's FSS table site has a similiar problem.

If you use Firefox, his site loads.

If you don't use Firefox, his site has problem of loading page.

https://fss-pinball.com/

I use Firefox, and have no problems with any sites loading.

1 minute ago, xenonph said:

Weren't those the good ole days? lol

If you wanted to download something over 100 MB's, you left computer running all night, and hoped you didn't get kicked offline and had to start download all over! lol

Nick's FSS table site has a similiar problem.

If you use Firefox, his site loads.

If you don't use Firefox, his site has problem of loading page.

https://fss-pinball.com/

I use Firefox, and have no problems with any sites loading.

indeed. on my commodore 64 with a phone coupler on eagles lair bbs :)  Just hit nicks FSS page and it loads plenty fast but yeah some images will not show.

• Content Provider

Here is a weird story for you...

Back when VPinball site was thriving, Randr did an upgrade to the site.

Well I was no longer able to get site page to load after he upgraded it.

Nothing I did,  fixed the page not loading problem.

(Tried all browsers, and firewall settings)

So I decided to upgrade my Windows from Vista to Win 7.

Low and behold, the page loaded now.

So this problem actually forced me to upgrade to Win 7!

I am stubborn, and have the philosophy that if it ain't broke, there is no need to fix it.

So I probably would still be using Windows Vista, if this hadn't of happened. lol

So thanks to Randr, for helping me out of my "never update anything if you don't need too" shell.

It was sad to see the site close down the way it did.

I lost alot of important info and collaboration notes from communications with other authors.

(I was being taught by 32assassin how to use blender!)

Still Randr deserves a huge thanks for keeping the site up for as long as he did.

(If you think it is easy to open a pinball site and maintain it, then try it yourself.)

I hope him and his family are doing well.

So in conclusion,

If you are having problems with site pages loading, try opening the page in different browsers, or try updating the one you have.

If all else fails, try upgrading your Windows! lol worked for me!

Carry on.

• 1 month later...