New cab build, starting off with the gaming PC - connections to TV/monitors?

woodsy15

Hey there wonderful community.  Starting a new cab build for myself, have been out of the game for 7-8 years so lots of new things to learn.  I picked up a gaming PC at a great price, looking to do a 4K build and hoping for 120hz on the 43" TV eventually.  Debate aside around 60 vs 120 etc. just wondering about connections

i5 10400F 2.9Ghz

MSI H410M-PRO MB

16 GB DDR4 Ram

250GB SSD OS Drive

1TB content drive (rpm drive)

Win11 Ghost Spectre installed

PNY Geforce 2060 6GB Ram Video card

The 2060 seems like enough to do 4K so hoping things will work well

The 2060 has a Display Port, HDMI, and a DVI connector

Motherboard video has HDMI, DVI built-in

I know whatever 43" LCD TV (120) I purchase will not have Display Port

32" TV for BG

15" for DMD

So I am expecting HDMI for the 43" TV, is there any advantage to using a Display Port > HDMI adapter cable from the 2060 to the 43" TV?

Am I better to use HDMI > HDMI for the 43"TV?  Save the DP conversion for the 32" due to any limitations?

DVI > HDMI could be used for the 15" DMD without much stress I am guessing

Have not explored the MB BIOS much yet, but currently it seems the motherboard video is disabled in favor of the 2060 on startup.  In the past Cabs I used the MB onboard VGA for DMD where the MB allowed PCIe and onboard VGA to function simultaneously... 

Thanks all for any advice as I try to get my cab building sea-legs back 😉 

5-PNY-Graphics-Cards-RTX-2060-Dual-Fan-fr.png

• 3 weeks later...

If you're using a 4k TV and HDMI from a 2060 you're using HDMI 2.0... this is maxed out at 4k/60  It wont display 4k/120.  You need HDMI 2.1 for that (both TV and GPU). This is why a lot of people use Monitors as DP has been able to do120 for longer.  Adapters wont help.

You could drop the resolution down to 1440p 120 and see if the TV just does an upscale but that will introduce lag...

See here https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/audio-video/hdmi/hdmi-versions.php for HDMI specs

"DVI > HDMI could be used for the 15" DMD without much stress I am guessing" - Correct. no issues here at all