New Build, Gpu Question...

Redbeard30

I'm in the process of building a new cab, its going to be inbetween a standard and widebody in size. 40-42" PF, 21" 4:3 BG monitor, and 17" LCD/DMD. I'm reusing as much as I can from my mini pin and spare parts bin to save $$$. I will be using my current pin pc - and phenom x2 560 o/c to 3.9ghz, Asus Matx mobo, 4gb ram and gtx560ti o/c to gtx570 speed. I currently am running 2 monitors, new cab is 3 screen. I am going to try using onboard GPU (anti hd4250) for 1 or 2 screens and use the 560 for pf. If this doesn't work, my other option is to buy a gtx650ti boost or 660. Will either of these cards run all 3 monitors with good performance? My mobo only has 1 pci-ex16 slot so two cards isn't an option. The 560ti is running everything great, the 650boost is equal to or slightly faster than 560, but not sure if it can handle 3screens without stuttering. Hopefully I can enable onboard in conjunction with nvidia GPU...the mobo manual isn't too clear on this...trial and error will tell I guess.

Some motherboard don't allow onboard video with a video card plugged into a pci slot.  I have a 660 running on 2 different cabs without stutter at all, but I also use a PinDMD2 which I think eliminated all the trouble I had in the past.  Really looks great running a DMD and now only have 2 displays running off my video card.  Cheap and simple fix.  (I would think your 560 would be fine also with a PinDMD also.  PinDMD only required a USB2 port and a DMD to work.  Something to think about.

You have a great card already. More than enough for VP performance wise. Feels like a waste to get another just for the 3 monitor support. I also use a pindmd2 instead of a third monitor,  and it looks awesome,   but then again a pindmd2 + a dmd screen will set you back a lot more than a new card.....   choices choices.....

You could look into a cheaper (maybe even secondhand) AMD video card.  I think AMD supports 3 monitors on one card from the 5XXX series onward, you can get these for a LOT less than a decent 3 monitor compatible nvidia card.  Any model with gddr5 should work just fine.  I have a passively cooled 5750 and it also runs every table out there (on a 2 monitor setup at least).......

Also, dont forget that 3 screens on one card does not work on windows XP at all.

Have you tried unlocking your phenom to 4 cores?  I feel mine runs VP slightly better @ 3.5 ghz, 4 cores instead of 3.8 ghz, 2 cores. Unfortunately with all 4 cores active i cannot overclock past 3.5 ghz.

A real DMD is something I'm planning for in the future...just not in the cards in the near future. I've read on various tech forums of people getting both onboard and pcie GPUs to work same time on the same chipset as mine, and w/ same bios, so I'm hopefull I can do it with my board. I tried unlocking to an x4, it unlocked but was not stable at all at any speed. I've got a budget board so that maybe the issue. I'm going to try enabling both GPUs (onboard and discrete) this weekend. I will update my findings. Fingers crossed! My other option is to use my 24" rotated and go two screen, but that will make for a pretty slim back glass image, so its a last resort. Sucks doing this kind of hobby on virtually no budget! 3 kids and a wife that was unemployed for over 2 years puts a cramp in free spending! But I look at as a challenge and am just happy I have what I have already...but she finally found part-time work...so eventually I will upgrade!

As far as anti cards go....I've wanted to try one as it seems a few people have great results, but also seems that more than a few have issues. I'd like to test myself but I always end up with nvidia due to the local PC store having great refurb prices on nvidia cards. I bought 2 nvidia reference gtx560ti's for $126.00 with one year warranty! Cards were refurbished and warrantied by nvidia. The PC shop does occasionally get refurb 660ti in for around 200$ but always sell out before I can grab one.

Archived