Looking for advice on Pinball Cabinet Kit

vpdash

I don't have any of the tools or any skills in wood working, so I am looking for the best option of a DIY cabinet kit. I am in Canada, so there are some places that won't ship here or it is cost prohibitive to ship here.

I am leaning towards Game Room Solutions v3 cabinet. I watched some Youtube videos of it, and it looks really nice. I have heard a lot of complaints about this product, but they seem to be more aimed at their older cabinet versions. Lifting the playfield monitor does not look to be super convenient, I do prefer homemade builds that I've seen where there is a hinge to swing the monitor up, but it doesn't look too bad to lift out the tv when required (hopefully very rarely once the build is completed). One thing that I don't like is the plexi glass on the playfield, I'd rather have a tempered glass but their installation video did not show how to insert the plexi, so I am unsure if glass can be put in there instead. I had read a comment somewhere that you need to bend the plex in order to insert it, so that would make tempered glass impossible if true. Anyone using this cab, if so were you able to update the glass?

I've looked at others like VirtuaPin which is significantly more expensive. I'd love keep the price under $1000 CAD for the actual cabinet itself. I'm thinking about $4000 CAD total. The Cab ($1000), PC ($500-$1000), and 4k 120hz playfield ($1000-$1500). Then maybe another $500-$1000 budgeted for all the remaining add-ons, toys, and whatnot.

I am certainly open to other options for cabs. Hope to hear from recommendations!

thanks!

Edited by vpdash

• 3 weeks later...

Ran across this post looking for the same answers.   

Is there a guide or anything that someone has made showing what tools would be needed ect?   Anyone in the Greenville, SC  area that would like to give some pointers?  I've built a 4 player arcade pedestal cab, but it was a GRS kit.