DOF performance issue

TimDp

Hello everyone!

I have a performance issue with DOF; puzzling me for quite some time. I got DOF R3++ running and everything works but the output is jerky/slow/stuttering.

DOF sends data to my 2 output controllers which I have installed: pinscape and teensystrip (teensy 4.0). When running any table in vpx (used a couple of releases, now on 10.7.4) all my output is jerky. I only have some led-buttons (pinscape) and some ws2812b ledstrips (teensy 4.0) installed. The input devices on the pinscape controller work instantly; no lag at all. Flipper and plunger input is working great without delay. More complex led strip effects are jerky or just partially shown. I only have this problem when the table is actually running. When I press Escape in vpx when the table is running, then the last output that the B2S backglass server sent to DOF shows nicely. Could this be caused by the B2S Backglass server triggering to much data to DOF during gameplay?
The start-button and launch-button for example do blink but in most tables, especially rom-based ones, the led-button does not go completely out. But when I press Escape in vpx when playing (freezing the playfield), the led-button blinks nicely. When I use a DOF tester to activate the led effects and led-buttons individually, everything works fine; also the most complex led strip effects. The DOF tester uses the same config-folder as during gameplay.
If anyone would be so kind to help me out or has some ideas what could be causing this. Could it be that the B2S backglass server sends too much data simultaneously at some point causing DOF to trigger too many effects simultaneously to each output device without any delay? Or am I missing a setting I need to tweak in one of the configuration files? I am currently using B2S backglass server 2.0 and vpinmame 3.6; but also with earlier versions i had this performance issue. A good table example in my case is Docter Who. Testing all output individually with the DOF tester works great when testing the rom. But during gameplay the output devices do not perform well. When i use a non rom-based table like Batman66 I don't notice any problems. All output, like the matrix leds in the back of my cabinet show instantly. The B-A-T-M-A-N letters displayed on the matrix led syncronize exactly with the intro song.

If anyone has had similar issues please let me know.

• 11 months later...