New release: v2.0

freezy

Release time! There are two major additions, which made me bump the version to 2.0. As always, it can be downloaded here.

ZeDMD Support

First announced in December last year, ZeDMD is a new type of DMD based on the ESP32, and it's very low-cost to produce (around $70 in total).

It's got all the features you'd expect, like RGB support, and the device code is open source. You can't buy it anywhere yet, because it's a DIY project, but I'm sure there will be sellers soon.

Serum Support

Serum is a new file format created by @zedrummer, who also created ZeDMD. Check it out here.

It works quite differently than PIN2DMD colorizations, and it comes with a new editor. It has innovative features like animated color rotations, which give a surprisingly nice effect when used discreetly.

Serum has been developed in collaboration with several coloring authors, so while it's still young, it's a proven system. There is a full tutorial how to use it here.

Personally, I am really happy about Serum, because it's fully open source, allowing others to contribute, and doesn't come with licensing issues like PAC does.

There is already one fully finished colorization (Scared Stiff by @dtatane), with a few more on the way. If you're an author interested in this new tech and you'd like to convert your existing PIN2DMD colorization to Serum, convince @zedrummer that you're actually the author, and you'll get help converting your project (it's semi-automated).

There are also people actively working on getting Serum to run on real pins, so stay tuned about that.

Finally, if you're interested, jump on their Discord server here.

64-bit Compatibility

@vbousquet added a fix that makes dmdext play nicely with the other 64-bit version of the ecosystem. As far as I know, this was the last piece needed for people who are running the entire vpin stack on 64 bit.

The Future

There are a few ongoing things that are probably going to make it into the next release. If that's not a bugfix release, that is. :)

Scorbit

Scorbit is a global leaderboard platform that is very popular in the real pin world, and they recently decided to open it up to virtual pins. The first virtual Scorbit-enabled table was Batman 66, which integrates it directly through the table script.

In order to get Scorbit running for ROM-based games, I'm working with Jay and crew to integrate their Scorbitron code into dmdext, which would instantly add Scorbit support to all VPM-based games.

This is pretty cool, and I'm looking forward to seeing this in action.

64 color support for PinDMD3

Recent colorizations (both PIN2DMD and Serum) produce 64-color frames, which don't work well with PinDMD3 devices. This is due to PinDMD3 not supporting 6-bit frames, so everything has to be converted to RGB24, which adds a lot of lag.

I talked to Russel, and he's willing to add support for 6-bit coloring to the PinDMD3 firmware.

PAC Support

For those who are wondering why Lucky1's plugin system didn't make it into this release, read about it here (maybe sit down before you do ;)).

That's it for now. Enjoy!

-freezy.

23 hours ago, LynnInDenver said:

Radiant Silverball is now on the new system... easy upgrade, easy colorization install (ONE FILE!), runs snappy, looks very good.

IMG_20230306_173719066.thumb.jpg.ffce6d432defeef24343926c2109e461.jpg

Thank you, @freezy, may I never have to consider going anywhere near a Pin2DMD colorization ever.

Just installed mine, also looks amazing! Thanks! @freezy

I'm very new to the idea of color DMDs in VP, and it took me a bit to get this 2.0 up and running (had to set up the configs for my setup as I have no cabinet and play VP only on desktop), but I did get this to run and loaded the two Serum colorizations here (Scared Stiff and Tron Legacy), and they both work very nicely and look sweet. 

Take Care and Thanks!

• freezy unpinned this topic