Weird Sound Issues with all Roms

Abhcoide

I am losing my mind over this and I am very grateful for any assistance!

I do know how to adjust ROM volume, such as with the Williams roms hitting the "end key" and adjusting with 8 and 9.  I can see in the DMD the volume going up or down.

The problem is, whether I turn the volume all the way up or all the way down - it doesn't seem to have any actual material impact on the sound. 

For example, Monopoly or Medieval Madness - sounds are quiet.  

I can turn the sound all the way down (on the ROM) - but I still hear the sounds.  I can turn them all the way, max to where it should be distorted, yet it is still quiet - the actual level hasn't changed.

What do I do?  I'm not even sure how to diagnose this, as this does not seem to be how this should be working.

My audio is an onboard 7.1 Realtek.

The speaker settings are properly configured, in that the SSF all goes to the right place.  When I do the speaker test, sounds are all coming from the appropriate places.

I am running PinVol, but this problem happens whether PinVol is running or not.  

I really don't know what to do or where to even begin!

Thank you in advance

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the suggestions; they were good ideas!

1. It seems to have the same quietness on a 2 speaker setup as it does with the full surround.

2. I'm running Windows 10 - I looked at the volume mixer and everything looks to be in order, but I don't see anything specific to vpinmame so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

3. F1 has the Use Sound checkmark ticked.

I've tried a few things in the meanwhle, including making sure that the centre channel (using EqualizerAPO) - but that also didn't yield success for me.