Black Knight Sword Of Rage

vinch52

Hello every body,

I need help to improve the Black Knight Sword Of Rage table.
I am looking for someone who could help me to improve :
the physical part, the 3D of an elements as well as the lighting

Despite having watched several tutorials on youtube, the result is not great (most likely because my English is not good at all)
Thanks in advance,

Vincent.

Final 05.obj

Edited by vinch52

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

what about posting your table here also beside VPForum and ask for help there?

I guess you'll have a better feedback!!!

Thanks for your effort and for sharing your amazing work!!!!

If you need some graphical help, Photoshop, Illustrator... let me know!!!!

Thanks again!

On 9/12/2022 at 2:04 PM, vinch52 said:

Hello every body,

Despite having watched several tutorials on youtube, the result is not great (most likely because my English is not good at all)
Thanks in advance,

Vincent.

Final 05.obj 2.93 MB · 10 downloads

Why don’t you contact the VPW guys?  You can email them directly on here.

On 10/5/2022 at 2:13 PM, ashleyb said:

Why don’t you contact the VPW guys?  You can email them directly on here.

No offense...but "contact VPW" isn't really an answer.

VPW has their own projects and schedule and they're not going to drop everything to begin working on a project you really want to be released.

I've learned, from my own experiences, that building my own tables isn't something I can just source out to others.

Being told "contact VPW" is basically like being told, "Contact Industrial Light + Magic if you need help with your visual effects art school project".

That really isn't how it works. If the table becomes really workable, VPW might consider it, I would guess.

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, tabascoman77 said:

VPW has their own projects and schedule and they're not going to drop everything to begin working on a project you really want to be released.

I've learned, from my own experiences, that building my own tables isn't something I can just source out to others.

Being told "contact VPW" is basically like being told, "Contact Industrial Light + Magic if you need help with your visual effects art school project".

That really isn't how it works. If the table becomes really workable, VPW might consider it, I would guess.

Yes, thank you for articulating this so well. The VPW team does great work, and I imagine that a big part of that is choosing projects they're interested in and have the resources to do well.

I would also echo CainArg's suggestion to post the table here and have an open call for help. I've personally had success with people helping me improve Mini Golf, and Felsir seems pleased with the suggestions for edits that Golden Cue has received since it was uploaded. Not every table release has to be VPW caliber. Honestly, there are a lot of smart people in this hobby who like to tinker with things. If a table gets uploaded with a wishlist of improvements, someone might just come along and help cross something off the list. And if not, well, at least the table is still out there for people to try out, in whatever state it's in. Good luck.

12 hours ago, tabascoman77 said:

“No offence”, but I disagree with your incredibly patronising reply, the guy was reaching out for help and no one’s contacted him yet, as far as I know.  So I suggested contacting VPW, if they aren’t interested they would say so, but if they are, I’ve no doubt they would help and prioritise it with their existing projects as they saw fit (no one suggested they “drop everything“).  Also, I’ve never played the table, so not sure how you’ve assumed it’s a “project you really want to be released”.

I suggested the same to this guy in the post below and VPW took him and the project under their wing.  Though this project does already look to be quite advanced, which may have made a difference.

So “no offence“, but you’re wrong, as I would think the more talented people they can add to their group the better and in return the individual gains knowledge and experience.

11 hours ago, ashleyb said:

“No offence”, but I disagree with your incredibly patronising reply, the guy was reaching out for help and no one’s contacted him yet, as far as I know.  So I suggested contacting VPW, if they aren’t interested they would say so, but if they are, I’ve no doubt they would help and prioritise it with their existing projects as they saw fit (no one suggested they “drop everything“).  Also, I’ve never played the table, so not sure how you’ve assumed it’s a “project you really want to be released”.

I suggested the same to this guy in the post below and VPW took him and the project under their wing.  Though this project does already look to be quite advanced, which may have made a difference.

So “no offence“, but you’re wrong, as I would think the more talented people they can add to their group the better and in return the individual gains knowledge and experience.

Yeah, I'm not saying VPW wouldn't help or that they wouldn't teach him a few things. I'm saying they're not an entity you can just phone up as a magical cure-all like your local plumber.

Each time I've been told "contact them", I cringe because that almost never works and I'm sure VPW gets hundreds of people screaming for help...but, go off.

2 hours ago, tabascoman77 said:

Yeah, I'm not saying VPW wouldn't help or that they wouldn't teach him a few things. I'm saying they're not an entity you can just phone up as a magical cure-all like your local plumber.

Each time I've been told "contact them", I cringe because that almost never works and I'm sure VPW gets hundreds of people screaming for help...but, go off.

🤪

On 05/10/2022 at 23:13, ashleyb said:

VPW 

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your attention for the table.

Why don’t you contact the VPW guys?  You can email them directly on here. I don't know how contact; VPW guys 😅 (I search a member with the name VPW or I tag with # ).

For the moment there is two people has propose to help me Tabascoman77 and Kongedam.

I Cleaning the Code and correct some Bug appears with the VPX 10.7.2.

Unfortunately VPX10.7.2 is beta version and not stable, but it allowed me to find errors in the code (a very positive side).

currently the DOF in loop (pup pack) does not work anymore for the moment on my last version I am still looking for a solution (my laptop had some problems , but I'm back).

I would like to work on another table, but I no longer want it to last 1 year of programming...

Best regards,

Vincent.

PS: I look to remove my post on VPForum to past in WIP, but there is no possibility to remove or past the post in unavailable 😅, I have somes demand to change my post in WIP, but it's not possible,

I'd like to freeze the post during the important upgrade.

• 1 month later...
  • Content Provider
On 10/11/2022 at 8:20 AM, ashleyb said:

Getting tables into VPW workshop really depends on several things.  In case of Magic Girl it was also a bit of luck that was involved.
I've contacted Drik333 and offered help after i've read his message. This was purely out of interest in this table from my part. I didn't had any assets at that point.

When looking and asking around i got in contact with Eric Bartels. He's the one who worked on the real Magic Girl table for about 3 years and got it working.
Sometimes coincidence happens. Eric's his workshop is about a 20 min. drive from my home. So after my first visit, things got into gear because i could take a lot of photos and measurements and he gave me some good assets to start with.

At my second visit Eric gave me the original disk (With the unfinished code, but still...). This was awesome! Now we have all the DMD clips, sounds, etc.

As a VPW member i also had to ask the guys to get this project into the workshop. I'f the assets are good and interrest the group is there... there is a chance!

It's true that there are a lot of projects going on, so you need a bit of luck getting a WIP into the Workshop. At this point MG is still a WIP and i'm hoping we can keep the progress going.

• Content Provider
On 9/12/2022 at 3:04 PM, vinch52 said:

Hello every body,

Thanks in advance,

Vincent.

Final 05.obj 2.93 MB · 14 downloads

I've been working on the Knight model.

My buddy has the cab so i had all the time and space to get some good pictures, etc.  

In this case i used an app to scan the model and then cleaned, fixed and textured it in Blender. At his point its looks "ok" 
I'm not a 3D modeler  and still learning.

I promised this model to another author for his project. So i can't share it a this point. 

BK_SOR_Knight.png

• Content Provider

Hello. I'm the one who but up VPW with few other fellows. The idea of us is to help and assist table authors; our initial idea was not ever to make any table or Mod releases, as they are just bloating the Spreadsheet. We wanted to help authors to update their own tables to have more realistic nFozzy/Rothbauer physics, Fluppers flashers and 3D inserts and Fleep SSF sounds. Intention was that the authors would have realeased these tables as an updates to their own releases. Like updating from 1.0 to 2.0 or something, so that there would be only one line of each table in the Spreadsheet file.

Our scope is not to take some table project in and fix it. We aim to assist and teach the authors to make it themselfs. This is about sharing the information and best practices, so that there could be more people understanding how to make tables. We have some common internal projects that are mostly about developing some new features or technologies we use. Or just sharpening our blades and having fun.

We still have this idea ongoing and our Discord has various table projects in Helpshop section. These are tables that we are not publishing our selfs, but there are individual authors that we are helping. All these authors are normal people who contacted us and requested help for their project; we let them in and we instruct when asked. It is all about learning and teaching. "Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime". We are not unicorns; we can be contacted and if you are serious about making vpin tables properly, learn new stuff and able to take some critique, we can setup a helpshop channel for your project. Also if you are a coder who wan't to be in the team, just contact us and we have fun projects for you.

Then there is one caveat.. And this is just a general rule we want to obey. We don't want to attend into a table project where the original table is still been sold by some manufacturer. That's it. It is a gentleman's rule. As an example, long ago we were close to start a Big Lebowski project, but then Dutch Pinball started to sell them again. We ditched our project totally and we may look into it 5 years after Dutch has stopped producing it; probably not.

Wouldnt it be worth to get in contact with the respective manufacturers? Maybe some of them would like the idea to be promoted by a well done virtual pinball version of their machine? But probably you did anyways already and got  rejections or most likely you dont want to deal with any/some kind of restrictions or whatsoever they would come up with - understandable. Anyhow - what comes out of the VPWorkshop is on its own level - thanks for sharing your passion!

1 hour ago, iaakki said:

there is one caveat.. And this is just a general rule we want to obey. We don't want to attend into a table project where the original table is still been sold by some manufacturer. That's it. It is a gentleman's rule.

• Content Provider
57 minutes ago, makmak said:

Wouldnt it be worth to get in contact with the respective manufacturers? Maybe some of them would like the idea to be promoted by a well done virtual pinball version of their machine? But probably you did anyways already and got  rejections or most likely you dont want to deal with any/some kind of restrictions or whatsoever they would come up with - understandable. Anyhow - what comes out of the VPWorkshop is on its own level - thanks for sharing your passion!

There is plenty to do with older tables too. We just want to make the scene to expand with more authors as that will eventually serve the ones who still have time to play these games. I personally feel that people waste a lot of time to make all sorts of stuff around the actual VPX project. So there is a LOT of commitment in the scene; but I just feel there is no focus.

One big issue with VPX is that it really cannot provide proper collaboration with more devs in a single project. Ideally I'd like to see that devs could use GIT to share tasks and chores for tables. Also all Mod developers could create their own branches and there would not be a need to make yet-another-lighting-update mod-releases that waste Spreadsheet and bandwidth. Those would be just branches/features that anyone could then pick into their version they use in their cab. This will somewhat improve with VPE and we can collaborate easier.

@iaakki @eMBee both your posts were so interesting! Thanks for pulling back the curtain on how VPW approaches projects—fascinating! For what it’s worth, I have @vinch52 amazing WIP on my cabinet, and even though it’s not finished, it is still one of my favorite modern tables to play. I sure hope someone in the community can help get this table across the finish line. If you haven’t had the chance to play his table, it’s so good.

I wish I could find a way to help with table creation. I only have a MacBook (apart from the barebones pc in my cab that isn’t set up to be a good work computer.) I’ve often wondered if there is a list of tasks that could be tackled by non-table authors who have the time and patience for grunt work.  🤔🙋🏻‍♂️Wouldn’t it be great to have some people who can knock out menial tasks while the VPW wizards do the real magic?

• Content Provider
11 minutes ago, elsimpso said:

I wish I could find a way to help with table creation. I only have a MacBook (apart from the barebones pc in my cab that isn’t set up to be a good work computer.) I’ve often wondered if there is a list of tasks that could be tackled by non-table authors who have the time and patience for grunt work.  🤔🙋🏻‍♂️Wouldn’t it be great to have some people who can knock out menial tasks while the VPW wizards do the real magic?

Well one can start from here. Bord makes excellent instructional videos how to make out this very basic task that all our projects go through (make sure that playfield scan is straight and table measures are correct before starting!!!). Adding nFozzy/roth physics... If you learn this, you can do almost anything with VPX. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 10:51 AM, elsimpso said:

@iaakki Oh cool! Is there any way to work in VPX on a Mac? Do any of the VPW guys work on macs? 

Yes, you can, but you need a Mac that's fast as hell and you need an app which will allow you to work with a Windows container. It's a bitch to set up and it really isn't worth it. I'd get a PC solely for VPX use.