Washed out playfield display issue (VLC Nvidia settings)

firebrand007

Hi guys,  

I've got a strange issue with Pinup Popper, freshly installed on a new PC/pincab. I think I have a rather solid experience of pincab issues but I'm completely lost here despite searching and tweaking for a good while... 😔

Basically when I'm browsing tables the playfield video recordings all appear "washed out", like if a slight bright overlay was on top of them.

Once I launch a game it displays fine in VPX. Before I did further tinkering, it even displayed fine when I was getting back to Pinup Popper, until cycling to a game with an empty playfield. 

I run pinup version 1.46 (but got the same issue when I tried 1.45 on a different folder) on an IIyama 4K monitor and VLC 2.2.8, with latest nvidia drivers, and I've tweaked my settings  for all displays according to https://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=nvidia_settings

If I record what's happening from the pc (with Shadowplay) there is no visible difference so I took some pictures from my phone to show how it looks.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated !

It's really frustrating to have a new playfield monitor and such a great front end with cheap looking videos.

regular display in VPX or VLC :
playfield_normal_display_ingame.thumb.jpg.e802c87b0ca4f12ffac31919750ac2f6.jpg

washed out display in pinup popper:

playfield_washed_out_in_popper.thumb.jpg.05c18509447dc05f2646382b5a7c7420.jpg

Edited by firebrand007

Hi @barryodog ! Good to see I'm not the only one and thanks for chiming in.
What did you do exactly to adjust your monitor, and was it in some specific windows settings or with the monitor's remote to adjust some parameters ?   
As the recordings display just fine in VLC, it makes me doubt that monitor adjustments can solve the situation (I also already tried some tweaking of luminosity & contrast previously), but I'd certainly like to try if it's made the issue disappear for you !!

Okay, so more precisions as I've continued tweaking : all videos display fine in windows media player by default and once I disable "hardware YUV RGB conversion" in the settings , they also display fine in VLC.

So it really seems to be an issue with how Pinup Popper uses VLC preferences. I don't know what else I could do in VLC or Pinup Popper  though...

Edited by firebrand007

• firebrand007 changed the title to Washed out playfield display issue (VLC Nvidia settings)

Sharing if it can help anyone else, I just figured out the solution, though it's not 100% perfect yet (I need to do some tinkering to adjust video display colors so that it's closer to the actual playfield display).  Dumb me overlooked the fact that there are 2 color settings to change in Nvidia settings, one for monitor and one for video . (This should teach me to stop reading tips on a tiny cell screen !). 
I forced the nvidia video settings and on the monitor I force the reference settings as they are much more natural , so there is still this discrepancy that I will need to correct.

Hello guys, great topic. I'm having the same issue. Maybe it´s related to nvidia cards only...

I just changed my Display brithness and  the result is much better. I changed from 50% to 20% for playfield and backglass. Did you do anything  different?

I had the same problem and I found that I had missed changing the Nvidia color settings to "Full (0-255)" which is the middle screenshot from the Nailbuster NVIDIA setting link in the original post.  Once I made that change, then the washed out popper playfield image was fixed.   

On 9/1/2022 at 12:09 PM, jreiman said:

I had the same problem and I found that I had missed changing the Nvidia color settings to "Full (0-255)" which is the middle screenshot from the Nailbuster NVIDIA setting link in the original post.  Once I made that change, then the washed out popper playfield image was fixed.   

THANK YOU!!!

That fixed all 4 of my screens 

• 3 months later...
On 9/1/2022 at 9:09 AM, jreiman said:

would you happen to know the fix for a AMD card?