PupPackScreenTweaker won't open Screens.pup files...

tabascoman77

Maybe it's just me but I cannot open the majority of Screens.pup files I have with the ScreenTweaker app. This drivers me nuts. There's one or two of these files I have that work and I literally have to copy them and use it to make calculations and then import those numbers into the non-working Notepad file.

I have no idea why some screens.pup files work and others don't. It's maddening.

Can anyone throw me a bone?

I wish I could but it just doesn't work with all screens.pup files. I can't figure out why exactly but it seems to not like non-traditional Z orders. I could be wrong but I noticed that myself when opening pups that didn't start with screen 0. @matiou stopped working on it in 2019. He started a beta 1.2 but never went beyond the 1.0 release https://github.com/matiou11/PupPackScreenTweaker

I love this little tool same as you and hope it can be improved some day

8 minutes ago, Cliffy said:

I wish I could but it just doesn't work with all screens.pup files. I can't figure out why exactly but it seems to not like non-traditional Z orders. I could be wrong but I noticed that myself when opening pups that didn't start with screen 0. @matiou stopped working on it in 2019. He started a beta 1.2 but never went beyond the 1.0 release https://github.com/matiou11/PupPackScreenTweaker

I love this little tool same as you and hope it can be improved some day

That's a shame. It's a great idea. Eliminates the guess work positioning DMD's. The paint.net method only works if the DMD is perfectly centered on a 2-screen set-up. Other than that, it won't position correctly.

I guess I will try to use the workaround I have.

1 hour ago, tabascoman77 said:

Maybe it's just me but I cannot open the majority of Screens.pup files I have with the ScreenTweaker app. This drivers me nuts. There's one or two of these files I have that work and I literally have to copy them and use it to make calculations and then import those numbers into the non-working Notepad file.

I have no idea why some screens.pup files work and others don't. It's maddening.

Which puppacks will noe open?

2 hours ago, tabascoman77 said:

It would appear this might be the reason if you have A-line that is number 11 or higher and if it has these at the end   ,,
the file will not open

1 hour ago, tabascoman77 said:

Nearly any of them except Wizard of Oz. I have to go through them to audit but Screens.pup files rarely open with the app. WOZ is the only file that opens for me so far.

Hmmm.  About 50/50 for me @tabascoman77. I just did a quick check from the bottom up and xfiles, woz, wonka open up. I didn't find any NOT opening until I hit Tron.  Tom and Jerry wont open as well as South Park, Ghostbusters, Way of the Dragon, Rick and Morty, Munsters, Logans Run, Deadpool, IronMaiden LOTB, Guardians, Guns n Roses Data East (gnr_300), Gilligan's Island, Cyclone (topper only), Back to the Future, Bugs Bunny, Batman 66, Apollo 13. All other I have open fine. Make sure you unblocked the pup zips when you downloaded and make sure your screens.pup isn't checked as read only in properties.

23 hours ago, outhere said:

It would appear this might be the reason if you have A-line that is number 11 or higher and if it has these at the end   ,,
the file will not open

@outhere - I will try your theory and let you know.
@Cliffy - I am going to audit mine in just a bit and update you.

To clarify: I can open each screens.pup file in Notepad and edit there...but the whole point is to be able to open them with ScreenTweaker.

On 7/8/2022 at 11:18 AM, outhere said:

the file will not open

@outhere - Tried putting quotes at the end of each line. Did not work with ScreenTweaker.

Tried reducing screens to 10. Corrupted the screens.pup. Does not work with ScreenTweaker.

Tried reducing screens to 11. Opens in Editor but does not work with ScreenTweaker.

I have no idea why this program is so fussy. It doesn't make any sense to me. It just picks and chooses what it wants to open and what it doesn't want to open, no matter what you do.

@Cliffy Here's my audit:

Batman '66 - Does not open

Beatles - Does not open

Black Knight: Sword of Rage - Does not open

Deadpool (JP's) - Does not open

Endless Summer - Does not open

Guardians of the Galaxy - Does not open

Halloween: Ultimate Pro - OPENS

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - OPENS

Home Alone - Does not open

Hot Wheels (early alpha of my own design) - Does not open

Iron Maiden LOTB - Does not open

Jaws: Ultimate Pro - Does not open

Leprechaun - Does not open

Munsters - Does not open

Retroflair - OPENS

Total Nuclear Annihilation - OPENS

Wizard of Oz - OPENS

So, that's basically 70-30 for me. 70% of my screens.pup files won't open with ScreenTweaker.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 11:18 AM, outhere said:

the file will not open

Hey @outhere I found a puppack that does open with tweaker and it has 20 screens! im_183ve

Sooooo... that's not it doggone it :)

im-tweaker.jpg

11 hours ago, Cliffy said:

Hey @outhere I found a puppack that does open with tweaker and it has 20 screens! im_183ve

Sooooo... that's not it doggone it :)

im-tweaker.jpg

Yeah, I don't think having that many screens is an issue. I tried that out and it didn't work. There's just no rhyme or reason to Packs not opening in that app. I cannot figure it out.

• 5 months later...
On 7/26/2022 at 8:04 AM, tabascoman77 said:

Yeah, I don't think having that many screens is an issue. I tried that out and it didn't work. There's just no rhyme or reason to Packs not opening in that app. I cannot figure it out.

Just stumbling across your post on my way to find the Batman 66 PupPack download. Did you ever get your above mentioned problems resolved? I don't use PupPackScreenTweaker so I wouldn't have been much help there. I've had to alter many of my pup packs, however, and I make all my changes using PinupPackEditor. I got 77 Pup tables so far, and they all fire right up and run the way they were intended. It's been months since your post so I'm guessing you've moved past this in one way or another, but if your pup issues are still lingering..feel free to give me a shout. I'd be glad to help ya out if you want.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2023 at 12:26 PM, GTheOneAndOnly said:

Just stumbling across your post on my way to find the Batman 66 PupPack download. Did you ever get your above mentioned problems resolved? I don't use PupPackScreenTweaker so I wouldn't have been much help there. I've had to alter many of my pup packs, however, and I make all my changes using PinupPackEditor. I got 77 Pup tables so far, and they all fire right up and run the way they were intended. It's been months since your post so I'm guessing you've moved past this in one way or another, but if your pup issues are still lingering..feel free to give me a shout. I'd be glad to help ya out if you want.

Hey G...PUPEditor is my other go-to and everything opens up with that...however, I've found it less accurate than ScreenTweaker and the interface to change layouts can be wonky.