VPX AA options... what do you use?

I have a 27" 4K @ 60Hz monitor in my minicab. It's running a Ryzen 2600X with GTX 1080Ti. It's a reasonably decent spec but not cutting edge. It plays all tables at 60fps pretty flawlessly with just QXAA on.

I have noticed that the screen can look like it needs some AA on the long wire frames and long edges of wood in cabinet. I'm being a bit picky really but I've got to that stage of the cab where I'm looking for improvements, but it's kind of diminishing returns right now. 

Of course there are a plethora of AA options in VPX and I dunno whether to let the GPU take this over in Nvidia control panel. It is a dedicated cabinet PC and used solely for VPX.

I tried to use the Brute Force option (just to see how it impacted performance) but the table Judge Dredd (VPW version) gave me an out of memory error when I tried to launch it. Considering I have 16Gb of dual channel ram I'm a bit surprised. I like to use that table in Super Game mode as I find it to be the most demanding as far as fps count goes. Some tables just flat out close VPX with no message or warning with Brute Force ticked.

If I use Brute Force must I have other stuff switched off? Is there some sort of combo with the GPU I need set? Turn things off in Nvidia CP?

The system probably doesn't have the grunt to use this option, but I would like to know why it crashes or closes out on me. 

What AA do you guys use that have 4K playfields?

Edited by DBrown67

I'm using a 5600xt gpu which is a step down from your 1080ti. Brute force is enabled on about 75% of tables. Whenever I add a table I will load it up with fps counter and if it dips below 60 fps at any point brute force gets disabled for that specific table and I use the quality smaa option instead.

Per table settings is the way to go because each table is built different. I have brute force enabled by default, aa off , ao update in game off and screenspace reflections off. These settings can be controlled individually in table options.

Also, enabling force exclusive fullscreen is important to get the most out of your hardware.

My eyes must be getting old - because I'm very happy with NOT using any AA at all on a 4k. When I test tables, it is in windowed mode, only when put into the front-end will they run with forced full screen or if I use my special icon on the desktop - because a table is stuttering. VERY seldom I see that I should add.

What you guys should really look at is that your nvidia settings is put to high performance option; if you really need all the extra stuff that I feel I don't ;)

I prefer to run my GPU on default settings and by not forcing AA ... the fans are hardly spinning at all. Much better not having to listen to fan noise - and enjoy the excellent ssf that has been made lately.

Been playing around with this today. I managed to get decent results by turning the AA options off in VPX and then in Nvidia Control Panel I set it to over-ride third party application ad set the Antialiasing to x4.

In my frontend I just use my own static screenshot of the table so that when it loads the table just "pops to life" as it were. My screenshots were all taken before this tweak so I can see any improvement if I concentrate on one particular area or aspect of the table. For example in Judge Dredd I look at those "pursuit" boxes at the entrances to the ramps. The black lines there are a little fuzzy in the screenshot (I am being picky here) but when the screen loads with the tweak they are perfect. I did try with x8 as well but I could see no difference at all from x4 so left it at x4.

Everyone's setup is different but with this tweak I was able to keep around 95-105 for most of the time in this demanding table. It did dip to the mid 80s in Super Game with a full multi-ball going on. But I'm happy with that as I will ofc put VSync back on.  I tried other tables like VPWs TftC and also ToTan and Addams Family, but none of them them were pulled as low as Judge Dredd.

By the way Thalamus... I think you meant to say set NVidia settings to Quality and not Performance? I didn't really try that as I'd already found a happy medium with this tweak. I could of course be messing for hours and hours looking at frame rates, but I've got the improvement I want. It's just whether the ocd in me can resist from retaking all the screenshots for the front end  :P

Yeah. Sat in the sofa and tried to think of what the settings where without having to walk over an turn it on :

Pretty sure they are on Quality here. (still haven't been on today - unusual I should add)

Settings, set to performance is a huge step upward to get those FPS you are mentioning being - from what I understand a gone problem.

It will always be a individual thing. Visuals vs something else - different hardware .. pushed to the edge, or in my case, adjusted to enjoy, my way.