43" 4k diy cab - done.

Dipkid

Hi all. swedish old lurker here, Est. in 1981, living with my little family outside Oslo, Norway.

Here are some pictures of my new cab I've been building this spring: 

It sports a 43" 4k Acer PF, a 27" 1080p Samsung backglass and a (in hindsight little to big..) 19" LG dmd.

The Pc is a i7 with a 1tb ssd, gtx 1070 & 16 gigs of ddr4 ram.

Plunger, nudge & tilt through a kl25z board, pinscape & a potentiometer.

SSF with sub, 4 exciters and 2 backbox pc-speakers.

2 sets of Usb-encoders controls the buttons and the button-ledlights

I drew all the plans & artwork in illustrator CC, printed the graphics directly on the plywood sheet on a Arizona flatbed printer and cutted the parts on a Zünd cnc router table.

(The led strips & matrix are addresable, but i havent gotten to it to program / set them up, so for now they just pulsate..)

Im running Pinup Popper & VPX 10.7, and rarely Pfx3.

Misc pics from sketches, plans and build:

Thanks for looking!

pin.thumb.jpg.6ff148e42a84bd2f41ff13c6c42028c3.jpg

Done. Todays topper is a 1984 russian bear skull.

cab-red-cp.thumb.jpg.5edaf18afbb1006b951471142c749ce5.jpg

Front / CP 

cnc.thumb.jpg.a8a854348089b20f500397349b0c904a.jpg

CNC Cutting

printing.thumb.jpg.9b78eb53e3899e91f19403187afdc6b3.jpg

Printing

wire-sketch.thumb.jpg.91ddb73ffb4cac13359c6e5cfecfeffa.jpg

Digital Wire chaos.

wires.thumb.jpg.3683e453f98e5bde35d66b2d9f992de4.jpg

IRL wire chaos.

plunger.thumb.jpg.24e71dfebba3c1f08715ee9f5be001c4.jpg

Ghetto plunger solution.

Nest-Test.thumb.png.088a844c8300c485cd7f30f4b6059f31.png

Fitting all the parts on 1 sheet of plywood.

pin2.thumb.jpg.44f2e1f317c4c50137c2e2d5f65dd891.jpg

It eats my entire gaming basement, so Im redoing the entire room incl the concrete floors now..

pin3.jpg

neon!

Edited by Dipkid
added info

• Dipkid changed the title to 43" 4k diy cab - done.

Wow.... how is the width on a 43" screen (feel wise) is it essentially the same size as a Widebody  'real' cab or mid way between the  regular and widebody? Do you have dimensions at all? I'm thinking of moving to a 40-43 inch cab (from 32") but i'm tight for space.....

Really epic job though, love the backbox!

23 minutes ago, LegoYoda said:

Wow.... how is the width on a 43" screen (feel wise) is it essentially the same size as a Widebody  'real' cab or mid way between the  regular and widebody? Do you have dimensions at all?

I designed the cab around the PF screen  so everything would fit tight and nicely. 

(so thats was the first thing I got for the build pretty much)

I didnt really check out alot of actual cab specs, but it turns out my plans are pretty close 1:1 for a regular 90s Bally/Williams cab. my cab is 56.5 cm wide, whereas a Attack from Mars is 56 cm. 

I got about 2mm of free space between the cab-walls and the pf-screen. I solved that with a strip of black vinyl. (pretty new monitor, so the bezel only builds ca 1cm, didnt bother do remove it)

My cabs length is ca 132 cm and the height is 182cm-ish.

Edited by Dipkid
added info

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looking good. I am looking at building my first cab, truly undecided on the PF display.  Would you recommend the acer 4k?

What refresh rate in your experience is acceptable versus an ultimate wish list display ? Your build has inspired me not to get a flat pack kit. I have some crazy ideas and might upset traditionalist. 

13 minutes ago, MagellanX said:

Looking good. I am looking at building my first cab, truly undecided on the PF display.  Would you recommend the acer 4k?

What refresh rate in your experience is acceptable versus an ultimate wish list display ? Your build has inspired me not to get a flat pack kit. I have some crazy ideas and might upset traditionalist. 

you'd have to ask a more pc-tech savy person about screens 😊. I'm more of a crt and console kinda guy.. I'm very happy w my acer, but if I had deeper pockets i would prob get a 120hz screen like a new lg oled 42. the acer is 60hz. but since I run a 1070 card in my cab, 60 fps at 4k is pretty much the sweetspot. I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me in that case.. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 8:34 PM, MagellanX said:

What SIZE you building.... IMO 4k is only any real benifit on 40" + screen sizes... anything from 24-32" (common sizes) and I'd use 1440p monitor.  32" is nice.

Refresh rate... I've had 60hz, 120Hz and 144Hz screens in my cabs.... the jump in smoothness at 120Hz is really noticable and VERY worthwhile...  144hz is nice but it's not as noticable and it's harder to drive.  For me on a smaller <40" cab target 1440p@120Hz for best bang for buck and for >40" go 120Hz as anything more is going to be stupid expensive and stupid hard to drive. Remember you want to be having MINIMUM frame rate of 120 to get that smooth experiance, an average wont cut it (believe me, i'd found out!).

Remember with monitors you generally find that at the max advertised refresh rate you can't get full colour depth... so on my 144Hz monitor i had to run it in 120Hz mode to get 10-bit colour... in the 165Hz monitor I run at 144hz to get 10-bit colour. You may not care... I did...

Power wise. what you running?  FX3? VPX?  for reference my Rysen 2600X +2060Super 6GB did 240fps on FX3 and 140-200 on VPX (depending on table).  Either way, that did me for a 120Hz display.  On the modern FX though the 2060 wont cut it... MINIMUM 3060Ti for 1440p and I'd say Minimum 3070ti if trying 4k with Ray tracing (and a more modern CPU)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

I am running an I7  3.6Ghz, 32 GB ,  1070ti as my test system. with a 46" Samsung and 32" LG both at 60hz.  1080p

Bench building first as I don't want commit to a CAB and have tons of mods later.

I am the kinda guy that wants to know all the intricacies from the ground up and then design and implement (not to just jump and buy stuff to get the job done)

My final build will have my I9 getup in it with the 3060Ti (currently my edit machine) which I know will have enough balls to run well.

The screens will take a while to decide on as I want my eyeballs to see them in person and in action first before I decide.

On a side note is anyone else using their setup to mine crypto ?

Thanks 

"On a side note is anyone else using their setup to mine crypto ?"

yes, for the last 2 years I had multiple casrds inside the machine slowley paying for itself... but that ship is about to  sail for a viability perspective... ETH Hardfork Sept 19th will kill profitability. Yes there are other coins still PoW but mutli Terrahash of ETH network capacity will suddenly flood them overnight....  Plus once you pass 30p/Kwh (in Uk at least) in electric cost it's totalyl unprofitable...  So, dont buy anything specific to mining, just take what you can while you can witht he HW you have....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 10:41 AM, LegoYoda said:

"On a side note is anyone else using their setup to mine crypto ?"

yes, for the last 2 years I had multiple casrds inside the machine slowley paying for itself... but that ship is about to  sail for a viability perspective... ETH Hardfork Sept 19th will kill profitability. Yes there are other coins still PoW but mutli Terrahash of ETH network capacity will suddenly flood them overnight....  Plus once you pass 30p/Kwh (in Uk at least) in electric cost it's totalyl unprofitable...  So, dont buy anything specific to mining, just take what you can while you can witht he HW you have....

Thanks appreciate the feed back , I have been mining since 2016, Power consumption  is not really an issue for me as I have the BG view on my security cameras and mining when not playing pinball In my Office/Workshop which I spend 16 hours a day in,  The hard fork certainly pulled the handbrake up. All the more reason to getting a move on with components finalization will post pic of the progress soon, right now have a temporary setup up and running with a zero delay button kit while I shop around. I feel I might be late to the party just glad I made it so far.  Too all members thank you.   

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2022 at 10:27 AM, LegoYoda said:

What SIZE you building.... IMO 4k is only any real benifit on 40" + screen sizes... anything from 24-32" (common sizes) and I'd use 1440p monitor.  32" is nice.

Refresh rate... I've had 60hz, 120Hz and 144Hz screens in my cabs.... the jump in smoothness at 120Hz is really noticable and VERY worthwhile...  144hz is nice but it's not as noticable and it's harder to drive.  For me on a smaller <40" cab target 1440p@120Hz for best bang for buck and for >40" go 120Hz as anything more is going to be stupid expensive and stupid hard to drive. Remember you want to be having MINIMUM frame rate of 120 to get that smooth experiance, an average wont cut it (believe me, i'd found out!).

Remember with monitors you generally find that at the max advertised refresh rate you can't get full colour depth... so on my 144Hz monitor i had to run it in 120Hz mode to get 10-bit colour... in the 165Hz monitor I run at 144hz to get 10-bit colour. You may not care... I did...

Power wise. what you running?  FX3? VPX?  for reference my Rysen 2600X +2060Super 6GB did 240fps on FX3 and 140-200 on VPX (depending on table).  Either way, that did me for a 120Hz display.  On the modern FX though the 2060 wont cut it... MINIMUM 3060Ti for 1440p and I'd say Minimum 3070ti if trying 4k with Ray tracing (and a more modern CPU)

Hello, I'm about to do a screen 32" replacement on my 3/4 cab using this new 4k 240hz monitor from Corsair and a pc build using the Intel i9 CPU and GTX 3080 GPU. I'm starting second guess myself on which monitor would have the best results. 

Dedicated for VPX, FX, FX3, and FP tables in your experience what is best, high pixel rate or high refresh rate?

1st option high refresh rate at 240hz (2560 x1440)

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Monitors/CORSAIR-XENEON-32QHD240-Gaming-Monitor/p/CM-9020004-NA

2nd option high pixel count at 3840 x2160 (144Hz)

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Monitors/CORSAIR-XENEON-32UHD144-Gaming-Monitor/p/CM-9020003-NA

High refresh rate is always brilliant BUT by that I mean 120hz and above.  there's lots of videos online in the tech space showing that past 144Hz the law of diminishing returns kicks in HARD. I would not worry about refreshrates faster than144Hz, as a differentiator. you wont feel them.

I would hit 144Hz or 165Hz (because both readily available) and then baseline there and go for screen quality past that...  at 32" you wont see any benifit from 4k.. it's too small and you'll have a hell of a job driving the New FX at 4k with RT ON with a 3080 (note, I get 75fps from a 3070Ti at 1440p in FX but well over 200FPS in all the other applications (FX3, VPX etc))

So, I would go for the 1440p pannel personally as, yes it's overkill for refresh rate BUT it will display at 10-bit colour no problem and you wil be able to drive it ok. 1440p with Anti Alising on and super high refresh rate swill look amazing an dbe buttery smooth.

• 1 year later...

Digging up my old thread here, cuz it came up at Google when I searched for 120hz vpx stuff. 😊reason for googling is I picked up a rtx 3070 yesterday & today a nice man dropped of a lg 42" oled c2 on my doorstep. upgrade time! to be continued.. 

• 4 months later...

So heres the updated  Cab!

Its now 3,5" (9 cm) shorter (I always thought my cab looked unnaturally looong, especially after changing PF screen.)

It now has a new LG C2 42" PF, a new mobo, a RTX 3070 and a Ryzen 5 5600x cpu.

I've rewired and tidied up pretty much all of the leds, cables and wires. Got new speaker grills. Also a new custom shiny lockdown bar, courtsey of my old man, the welder.

Last but not least I have chromed out pretty much all of the t-molds, siderails and the backbox. 

pin1.jpg

pin2.jpg