Mini Pinball Design 32" Playfield

MrArcade

I am building a vp into a Williams Stellar Wars cabinet for myself. My daughter loves playing and is wanting a machine for graduation. I plan to build her a 32" playfield machine.

I have several 19" 4:3 monitors as well as a few 19" 16:9 monitors. I want the 3 monitor effect with 2 monitors. I can't see getting a good result unless I use another 32" for the backglass etc.

I can allow the monitor to come up through the top of the head giving a topper display area, or I would have to make the cabinet deeper to allow the monitor to not extend above the top of the head.

Thoughts on the design? Planning on it being a tabletop machine, but I can add legs if needed to stand alone.

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled.jpg

My table is using a 32" screen for the playfield... It's much bigger in footprint and weight than you'd think, tabletop may not be the way to go there. Where is the PC going to go for example, what will add height and weight...  I like your idea of the 2nd monitor being used as a toper also, clever...  I wonder if a 27" would do what you want though whilst giving you a little more space on the edges for speakers? Dont forget to add some space at the front for a "lockdown bar" as you'll need to rest your palms on something and when you do youu wont want to block the screen.

The drawings above were just something I put together quick to get an idea how the two 32 inch monitor setup might work. Yes I definitely need to add some space at the front of the cabinet for the lockdown bar. As for the speakers, I'm pretty sure I can get some very shallow speakers and mount them to the Plexi that will be in front of the rear monitor. All that should have to go into the cabinet is motherboard asy, power supply, SSD, kl25z, and wiring. I don't plan on doing any feedback in this cabinet. I might put in a five light flasher bar at the back of the playfield.  I will leave space to add an analog plunger in the future. For now it will just have a digital button plunger.

I will have to do some measuring of components, I think it might be a little snug, but everything should fit. My biggest concern is the height of the lockdown bar and buttons if it is resting on something like a kitchen table. I know if I would make legs especially with levelers that could be set to the perfect height. I just wanted it to be a bit more portable. Still in the designing stage so many things probably will change.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

I agree with LegoYoda. A 32" playfield is too big for a table top machine. The playfield alone will be at least 28" long. That'll require a pretty big table. I used a 22" monitor in mine and I wish I'd found a 19" playfield honestly. But YMMV.

-