Altsound volume changes?

BarneyRubble

I've started installing altsound versions for tables that I have installed that have awful ROM-version audio, LOTRO is a good example.  Love to play the game, but the audio is so awful I don't enjoy it.  ENTER altsound, exactly what I was looking for and solved the problem, but created a new one.

The 'table' mechanical sounds are just too loud now compared to the altsound sounds, music, speech...  I can hardly hear any of the speech, and turning up my system volume to the point that I CAN hear those altsounds makes all the mechanicals way to loud.  

How do you 'balance' out the table sounds with the altsounds?

Boy suxxors to get old.  I had kinda forgotten about this.  Couple years ago I installed Pinvol and use that to bring my table volume up or down and it works great so sorta back-shelved this.

Now with altsound it becomes necessary once again. Thanks!

Use rom volume to match mechanical sound.  Then pinvol to bring it all into acceptable range!

Ok I am still missing something here's what I have done in the way of troubleshooting and factors on my cabinet:

1.  My system:  Stereo speakers installed on Backglass, that's it.  Powered through a mini-amp also installed in cabinet, volume is set to about mid range.  Running Windows 10.  Running sound out of my MBoard via phone jack to Mini-Amp, splitting cable Left/Right.

2.  Audio Software:  Standard windows audio package, using NVIDIA driver, volume levels set about midway.  MJR's PINVOL installed and using cabinet button combination to have cabinet button control of volume while playing a game, set to individual table, LOTR is set to about 68%.

3.  ROM volume via keyboard keys 8 and 9 NORMALLY set to about 25.

4.  LOTR script allows for some volume levels I played with these independently until I got the game sound levels to be where I like them :

VolumeDial 0.5

BallRoll Sound 3

RampRoll Sound 3

With ROM volume set to 25 via 8/9 keys and ALTSOUND set to 0 via F1, the game sounds are all evened out, and I can hear the music as well as the speech, but there is also distortion.

I downloaded all the ALTSOUND_LOTR files I could find on altsound.vpin24:

Original, altsound_lotr;

Enhanced, altsound_lotrSojend, altsound_lotr_Sjoend_normalized, altsound_lotr_TheWool, and altsound_lotr_hawknole

Adding them to my altsound folder in VPINMAME one at a time, and renaming them to match the installed ROM, I fired up the VPX (10.7) with altsound enabled in VPINMAME.

The only one that came close to acceptable volume for background music and speech was lotr sjoend normalized, all others I could barely hear the background music, and even more so the speech.  Some I could hear the music, not loud enough, but OK, but the speech is merely a whisper if at all.

Going back to VPINMAME Altsound set to 0, all was well, sounds were all equalized out but distorted.

Am I missing something, I'd like to replace bad ROM soundtracks and it looked like ALTSOUND was the answer, but I am not so sure.  This test proved one thing, different ALTSound packages are not all created equal (no doh).  

All the sounds included in these packages are in .ogg format.  My cabinet plays them with Groove Music, which I don't have any experience with, but I guess that's the Windows install, while these .ogg files are playing within the game, what software is running these, VPINMame? 

EDIT:  Ok altsound.csv, included in every altsound package, gain column.  No way am I going to hunt down every sound I want boosted and edit those entries in this .csv file, I'd really rather have distortion.  I guess I found my answer.  Is there an alternative to the alternative?

Is .ogg the only format that sounds can be in for altsound, or can it be any other format?

7 hours ago, BarneyRubble said:

Is there an alternative to the alternative?

The alternative to altsound is to use Pinsound Studio v18.8.3 which is more robust and features additional audio adjustments. In my experience it is also better synchronized and less buggy than altsound. This also would give you access to a larger library of alternate audio packages available for free from Pinsound Community. Keep in mind v18.8.3 was the last published vpin compatible version and is no longer available to download directly from Pinsound, however someone linked dropbox download here: https://vpuniverse.com/files/file/8772-king-of-rock-and-roll/?do=findComment&comment=12687

Compatible Pinsound audio package downloads are available from here: https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

You can also use a Sound Editor program like Audacity, and increase the amplification on all of the Altsound files.

I think when these Altsound files are extracted from the rom, the default volume is low.

I had to raise them all in the NFL altsound package.

All together 385 different sounds all had to be amplified!!