3D Model Request Thread

One of the future perks of VPE will be a high quality asset library with fully textured models ready to use. This library will also act as a database with rich meta data so creators can quickly find a part, either by category, era, part number, manufacturer, and other attributes.

We don't have the database yet, but we're already moving common assets into a separate library project. This thread is a call to the 3D artists here. When we're in need of a model, I'll be posting here, and if you know if it already has been modeled, or if you have time to model it yourself, please speak up :)

Cheers!

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, freezy said:

Would a 3d scan of one help?  I can pull one off my machine and 3d scan it.  Also, I have a download section setup here on VPU for 3d prims if you want to upload there. https://vpuniverse.com/files/category/67-primitive-resources/

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, freezy said:

That'd be awesome! I knew you had a section for this, but couldn't find it. Was looking for "models".. ;)

@Pandeli is there a way to get a scan down to something we can use in a game engine, or would it result in remodeling it?

I'll change it to 3D Models instead.  Prims are old school.

A 3d scan would be helpful for general proportions and save time taking measurements, but it would need to be remodeled.  Scans rarely result in clean enough results for mechanical models.  

Edited by Pandeli

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Pandeli said:

A 3d scan would be helpful for general proportions and save time taking measurements, but it would need to be remodeled.  Scans rarely result in clean enough results for mechanical models.  

I have a professional 3d scanner, so it's not a cheap phone based scanner. It's actually pretty damn accurate.  I have that exact lock.  I'll scan it later this evening and you guys can test it out to see if it will work.  If it works out; I have access to a pretty big collection of various pinball parts that I can scan.

• Administrators
16 hours ago, freezy said:

Very cool, thanks in advance @Dazz!

Well... bad news this lock is giving me one hell of a difficult time trying to scan it.  I have a couple more tricks that I can try, but the thin parts on this lock make it very difficult to get lined up correctly.  I've reached out to another group that I belong to see if they have any other suggestions for scanning this piece.

On the other hand; I scanned several of the Simpsons characters and have a couple more to go.  These have turned out great so far.  These do require some post processing. The scan resolutions are quite good so these models contain billions of polys.

Bart_scan.PNG

Comic_Book_Guy.png

Homer_scan.png

Scratchy_scan.png

• 4 months later...

Hi Freezy - I work in 3D for VFX (am a Assets TD so don't do much modelling these days) but I would be happy to help out on creating some assets for a library in my spare time. 

The part above, do you still need help on this?  (I downloaded the .fbx but there are no UVs for this model and the geo needs quite a bit of cleanup as well. I'm guessing you also want to have PBR textures for these?)

I have recently discovered VPE and pinball again and am really excited about this project. 

Cheers!

Edited by Ekar

Awesome! Yes I ended up auto-unwrapping the latch, but as you said, the geometry isn't ideal.

Do you have any physical pinball parts at your disposal that you could model? While modeling skills are important obviously, having the hardware available to measure is as important as well.

If you're on Discord, PM me here for a link please :)