VPX VR cab - good benchmarks ? Colored dmd, pup

Hello, 

I've got a regular pincab and I'm strongly considering building a VR "stubby" (just the front of a cab with force feedback toys, essentially SSF, a shaker and a plunger) which I would connect to my more recent gaming PC with an Oculus Quest.

I've found a couple of old tutorials but not much, would you have good resources to recommend ? 

Also, I was wondering if it was possible or not to display colored dmds in VPX VR ? 
I haven't managed to make it work so far, nor can I display PUP videos but I suppose that's not supported yet ?

Thanks!

I can answer the second question, color DMDs work for me. I am still on an older version (4407) so not sure if it is still working in the newer revisions.

In the vpxvr preferences keys,nudge and DOF  there are 2 settings capture external DMD and capture PUP player.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much @lizard ! Life got in the way and I couldn't test and tweak earlier but your suggestion was very helpful, I wouldn't have thought to look for it in "keys,nudge,dof".
It's working well indeed now. I had the latest freezy dmdext and sambuild but needed to tick these options and set up the regular options within vpinmame for all color roms (external DLL /  no dmd display / colorize).

The PUP pack capture seems be a bit more complicated but I'll be getting on that too since it's feasible.

One disappointment on the DMD rendering within VPVR is that it's quite blurry on some tables, and even slightly distorted on a few tables (Indiana Jones VR Room comes to mind on these 2 aspects).
Does anyone know if it's possible to make the DMD look less blurry/fuzzy in VR ?

I haven't any blurry or fuzzy in vr with a rtx 3060.

I use a dual boot, one for vpx and another for vr on my pincab with quest 2 and oculus link.

My dmd is a pin2dmd with vpx, i disable the network.

For the second hard disk, i use :

the last nvdia drivers , opencomposite rather than steam, oculus debug tools, vpvr and vrlauncher.

For each you have to find the good settings according to your setup in order to obtain max performance and for me, it's works.

And i also disable the sound on my quest,  less data via oculus link  ;) and sound is better on my pincab with ssf.

Hi Firebrand, if you've already built a cab, you've got all the info you need to build a stubby for VR...

its a lot less complicated than a full cab, no screens or backbox to deal with, in fact I just chopped the front of my cab off (had it dual purpose for a while, so I could plug it back into the main cab) but ended up not really using it for anything other than VR

I'd try it without SSF to start, for me, the extra hassle of plugging in the power just for SSF isn't really worth it, normally I just have one USB cable to hook up to my PC

I guess it really depends on how much space you have available and if you've got an external PC or not as to the decisions you make

On 2/26/2022 at 9:36 PM, firebrand007 said:

Hello, 

I've got a regular pincab and I'm strongly considering building a VR "stubby" (just the front of a cab with force feedback toys, essentially SSF, a shaker and a plunger) which I would connect to my more recent gaming PC with an Oculus Quest.

I've found a couple of old tutorials but not much, would you have good resources to recommend ? 

Also, I was wondering if it was possible or not to display colored dmds in VPX VR ? 
I haven't managed to make it work so far, nor can I display PUP videos but I suppose that's not supported yet ?

Thanks!