Front Page of VPUniverse?

• Administrators

Hello Everyone!

Finally after having to fix a major bug that was keeping the initial site homepage from working; it's time for me to populate the front/homepage.  What kind of information would you like to see on the front page when you go to VPUniverse.com?  

I'd like to have a currated news section for Pinball news.  Not only what's going on in the world of Virtual Pinball but also Real Pinball. I can also pull RSS feeds from other sites, but what other kind of info do you feel should be on a front page?

The only thing I don’t like which is VERY minor is the “most downloaded” bar. It’s just too broad of a term over time and will be mostly, if not totally be stagnant for way too long. I always pass it without a look. Perhaps toss it to the bottom?

This might be pie in the sky, but would there be a way for alerts as per category (VPX, Future, B2S etc)….RSS on the news is a good idea, but as per myself, I’d be more into my Apple Watch giving me an RSS of what new VPX goes up, perhaps subs that I choose alerts for. Only you’d know Dazz…All I’m saying is if all pages are categorized anyway as a separate entity , perhaps a “keep updated” RSS, or even Email might be nice on selected forum posts, selected releases, the news area as you spoke of also. Than again that might be bandwidth hell. 

Might sound a little brown nosey, but VPU is a great site as is…the fact it always gets better and improvements are on the list is really appreciated. That goes for the community as a whole also…we really appreciate you all…through thick and thin our admiration is deep for the entire aggregate. 

I like to see whats new and updated  news on the main page.  Maybe links to content / articles that are not on VPU.  I do like seeing the highlighted tables/content as its allowed me to find out about tables I didn't know existed etc. Maybe link to the hot forum topics etc?

Maybe even have the odd "Survey". ie. What table or content would you like to have updated, tweaked etc?  Fav real VP table, Fav Real Pinball.?

cheers and beers

Edited by KiwiBri

• Content Provider

Not to take away from VPinball but a "new releases" slideshow at the very top, somewhat like that site had, would be great. Maybe 5 - 10 new things? That way, if you click on a particular new release, it takes you right to the download/info page. This was an awesome feature on VPinball. It showed the preview pic and a bit of text info on it when you went to the front page. Just wishful thinking. :)

• Administrators
1 hour ago, watacaractr said:

Not to take away from VPinball but a "new releases" slideshow at the very top, somewhat like that site had, would be great. Maybe 5 - 10 new things? That way, if you click on a particular new release, it takes you right to the download/info page. This was an awesome feature on VPinball. It showed the preview pic and a bit of text info on it when you went to the front page. Just wishful thinking. :)

I sortta have that going on right now... Not in a slideshow, but more like a newspaper layout.  I'll see about adding it as a slideshow

https://vpuniverse.com/

I'd been trying to remember what it was about Vpin that made it 'flow' so nicely and I think @watacaractrmentioned part of it.  There was also a way to stay on top of forum posts but with discord taking over conversations that's probably not necessary.  A lot of space is devoted to Featured and Top Downloads that I quickly skip over.  So maybe more emphasis on What's New would be nice.  

Thanks again @Dazzfor your continued work!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, JFR1 said:

I'd been trying to remember what it was about Vpin that made it 'flow' so nicely and I think @watacaractrmentioned part of it.  There was also a way to stay on top of forum posts but with discord taking over conversations that's probably not necessary.  A lot of space is devoted to Featured and Top Downloads that I quickly skip over.  So maybe more emphasis on What's New would be nice.  

Thanks again @Dazzfor your continued work!

Have you not checked out the new front page?  https://vpuniverse.com/ It's still a work in progress, but it'll get there.