Update: Health, and why some updates / releases are held off or taking longer than originally expected.

TerryRed

• Content Provider

I mentioned a while back that I've been "sick" with extreme vertigo / headaches that has kept me from doing a lot of what I normally do (play VR, play at my cabinet, play PC games, etc).

This has continued for months, but has slowly been getting better... but I'm still far from "normal". It wasn't until last week when I was finally able to see a neurologist, and get an MRI that they finally were able to determine what is going on.

Turns out, I had a stroke (in my brain)... and this is why I've had non-stop headaches for months, and the vertigo, etc. Now I'm not even allowed to drive anywhere.

This is part of why my recent releases / quick updates have not been getting DOF / full PinEvent releases yet, as it's too hard to do much at the cabinet right now.... as it causes my headaches to get worse, and I need to take it easy when that happens.

So at XMAS, I decided to take a brief break from finishing Silent Hill (which still has a lot of work) to do a few quick table updates.... and now Sonic.... as those I can currently do... and I needed something "fun / uplifting" that won't take too long to do.

My plan is to finish Sonic with maybe a few new modes and release that, then maybe one other quick table update. No PinEvent updates for these right away, as I need to update PinEvent itself and all current PinEvent table / pup-pack releases as well to the new update standard.

The next version of PinEvent will be more of a "refinement" to keep things much simpler, and remove features that are not really being used (like Profiles), update under the hood code and commands I use for SSF and other things, and also to now only support FullDMD and FullDMD on BG. I will be removing all support for real DMD and LCD DMD for all tables (it was always a compromise to add those, and more work for little benefit as I design for FullDMD). Real DMD and LCD DMD users can now be supported with DMDExt 1.9 (for most tables), so those users will get the best of both worlds (DMDExt, and FullDMD on BG).

Tables like Silent Hill and RetroFlair 2 take WAY more time than 95% of the typical tables you see on FP and VPX (both of these are like multiple tables in one).... but I assure you they WILL be completed at some point... and they will be much better tables than I ever imagined doing when I started them.

Don't worry... I'm not pushing myself or anything. What I work on now is something I can do that keeps me sane in the mean time.

All good things come to those who wait... and I more than anyone can't wait until that happens.

Je vous souhaite un bon rétablissement Terry. Le travail que vous avez déjà accompli est titanesque. C'est l'envie de jouer à vos tables PinEvent (SW DSA, Retroflair...) qui m'a incité à installer Future Pinball sur mon cab et je ne le regrette en aucun cas. Bon courage et ménagez-vous!

• 2 weeks later...

Terry, I've been following the development of Silent Hill that you were doing.

I was surprised that I didn't see the table, and that Sonic was coming.

Today I stopped to look for Silent and saw the news. Good recovery to you, Terry.

I have some friends who also like pinball and they are all your fans and cheering you on.

From Brazil: Good recovery!!!

• 3 weeks later...

@TerryRed
Your health is far more important than putting out some games (Health First) Which by the way you have done a fantastic job on
I along with everybody else hopes you have a full recovery
Your wife and kids if you have any do not want to go through what I'm going through

• 5 months later...

Terry sir you are a class act and I know that your health will continue to get better! I want to thank you for all the hard work time and effort that you've put into this hobby. You've given me as well as so many others a saving Grace in virtual pinball. You've given us a focus and a hobby to help keep us all sane as well in these crazy times! I looked into the hobby of virtual pinball about 2 years ago and it was your concise tutorials that guided me along and helped me build my own cabinet. 2 years later and I can't imagine my life without my pinball cabinet and virtual pinball. Thank you for giving so much of your time and effort to help others! Salute!

• Content Provider

Yes Terry's health should come first!!

He stubbornly completed his Sonic table even after just suffering a stroke!!

His commitment to this community goes way above and beyond!!

I believe if you were to cut off his hands, he would use his nose to complete his projects!!

I don't think anyone should push him to complete his other projects until he gets well, and feels like it!!

Prayers for Terry, as well as Outhere.

Get well my friends!!

Carry on.

Charles

• 5 months later...
  • Content Provider

So.... after many months... the day has arrived. Tomorrow I will be going into the Heart Institute for heart surgery. It's almost unreal, as it's been so long I've been waiting. Starting to feel a bit numb to it all.

The best part... I'm awake for the whole thing. Yeet!

This will be the last day.... that I'm a hole-hearted man.

I know you will be in many minds tomorrow, certainly in mine. You have brought so much joy into this community with all your optimism, so much to be thankful for to you. Wishing for a quick recovery for you and strength for you and your loved ones.

Ronald