KL25Z no longer produced?

Ive been trying to build something so i can join the digital league, but getting my hands on a KL25Z seems impossible. The only place i can find one to order is on ebay for more than $70. I cannot afford that, i really can't. I ordered one on amazon for
$40 but was given an KL26Z instead, and when I inquired about why they sent the wrong one I was told that the KL25Z is no longer being produced and that the KL26Z can do anything the KL25Z does. I was able to return it after explaining the KL26Z was worthless to me. I have spent over a month trying to find one of these things. I should have just spent the $70 at this point, but it just seems like robbery. Does anyone know if these will be made again, or where to get them at an affordable price? The ones on ebay may be the last around :(

edited to add: I know result show up when you google search under shopping, but i assure you once you try to order one from "neobits" or "mouser" ect ect they do not actually have any in stock

also one is on ebay for 30.99 but when you look at the image it is not a KL25Z at all but something totally different (red pcb with cartridge style pins)  in a KL25Z box, i have no idea what is up with that seller's listing

Edited by petelunacy

I have seen it listed for AliExpress in the google shopping results, but I feel like allot of the stuff they sell on that site is bootleg and shady, just like wish. Don't know if i can trust them, and it's a $31.50 gamble to find out. I'm worried they will send me either a fake or a kl26z like the amazon seller did.

Thank you for trying to help, unfortunately im all the way over in Boston Massachusetts. Here's hoping the freescale people notice people still want the 25 and make more some day. I wonder how crazy it would be to make the 26 compatible, they are supposed to be identical but with the addition of a magnetometer and a light sensor. I'm tempted to tinker with the software and see if it's just changing pinout numbers in a text file. I should have tried that before returning the 26, d'oh!

I got to talk with the people at freescale today. the KL25Z is not discontinued, however they could not help me find one. there is a 52 week delay for them to make more, and a very large minimum quantity for them to bother. none are currently in production, but i'm told mouser should have around 100 units in early 2023. Also that one on ebay for $70 is gone, now there is one left for $101. So I guess I'll join that digital pinball league on facebook in about a year :(

Edited by petelunacy

• 3 months later...

In case you are still looking... since I was in the same boat... I just ordered one of these.  Still waiting on it to confirm 100%... but based on the comments / reviews, sounds like the real deal.  check out Newark.com  and look for "XTRINSIC-SENSORS-EVK"  It's an evaluation kit but guess what it includes... a KL25Z   :)  And the best part... only $21 US

On 4/29/2022 at 9:43 AM, karcs said:

In case you are still looking... since I was in the same boat... I just ordered one of these.  Still waiting on it to confirm 100%... but based on the comments / reviews, sounds like the real deal.  check out Newark.com  and look for "XTRINSIC-SENSORS-EVK"  It's an evaluation kit but guess what it includes... a KL25Z   :)  And the best part... only $21 US

If they are indeed the same, can you ping me? I was going to get these but wasn't 100% sure.

For those interested, received the package yesterday.  Attached are images of the un-boxing, the top, and the bottom of the KL25Z.  Sure enough, looks like the real deal.  Comes attached with the sensor card, but it was only attached by pins.  Simple enough to pull it off and have a standalone KL25Z.

Only catch... and this is a positive or negative depending on how you look at it... it already has pin sockets soldered onto half the pin holes (as you can see in pics) for the sensor card.  For me it is a positive because it means even less soldering   :)    I just have to find someone in my area willing to help me solder pins to the remaining ones.

Hopefully I can start playing with this in the next couple of weeks by loading on the Pinscape Controller.  I am just starting out, so I have a lot to learn.

KL25Z-bot.jpg

KL25Z-top.jpg

KL25Z-unbox.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 7/16/2022 at 9:48 AM, kevindstanley said:

Just some new info, I ordered one today, looks like there is 5 left. Stocks are dwindling

I picked up a couple and they got delivered last week. Haven't had a chance to use them yet as I am focusing on the cabinet build but they look like they will do the job. Thanks for the heads-up.

Any luck? I got my board in and pulled off the child board and I can't seem to get the pinscape configurator tool to recognize it via USB(SDA port for programming a new pinscape board). I get an odd USB error of "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)". Thanks!

image.thumb.png.6313fc43fb71898e634b9e3e60be56e5.png

On 5/3/2022 at 10:17 AM, karcs said:

For those interested, received the package yesterday.  Attached are images of the un-boxing, the top, and the bottom of the KL25Z.  Sure enough, looks like the real deal.  Comes attached with the sensor card, but it was only attached by pins.  Simple enough to pull it off and have a standalone KL25Z.

Only catch... and this is a positive or negative depending on how you look at it... it already has pin sockets soldered onto half the pin holes (as you can see in pics) for the sensor card.  For me it is a positive because it means even less soldering   :)    I just have to find someone in my area willing to help me solder pins to the remaining ones.

Hopefully I can start playing with this in the next couple of weeks by loading on the Pinscape Controller.  I am just starting out, so I have a lot to learn.

KL25Z-bot.jpg

KL25Z-top.jpg

KL25Z-unbox.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 5/3/2022 at 7:17 AM, karcs said:

KL25Z-bot.jpg

KL25Z-top.jpg

KL25Z-unbox.jpg

Hi can I ask, did you ever get this to work?  im in same situation as you, I got a cheap Xtrinsic board, I used an old windows 7 machine to update the bootloader so its recognised in Win 10 but i cant flash the Pinscape software to it, did you get yours working?