Golden Cue

Felsir

This one may take some time to recreate. I have collected all photographs online I could find in order to recreate assets for this table. I know the table ROM is not even 100% working so I consider this a side project... A lot of assets are being redrawn and it is very much a work in progress.

Some of the parts will only be finalized once I have it as a table.

Oh, and I'm also collecting assets for Sharkey's Shootout so hopefully both tables will come to life soon.

backglass-wip-01.png

GoldenCuePF-wip01.png

• 3 weeks later...

I'm slowly constructing the table. I stumbled on a hurdle, and I can't figure out what I am missing. I have the ROM running and tablelights are working fine- so the controller is running and linked to table elements.

However I keep getting the message "4 BALLS MISSING" on the DMD, which prevents me from further testing my setup.

I have added this to the sub Table1_Init

Set bsTrough = New cvpmBallStack
	bsTrough.InitSw 0,14,13,12,11,0,0,0
	bsTrough.Balls=4

Which I assumed would initialize the ballstack and associates it with switches 11-14. Then there are 4 balls loaded.

Oh, and I based the table on the 10.7 "completely blank table" template- so there may be some code there that is interfering (though I couldn'f find any, except de destroy ball on the drain hit event).

Any suggestions what I'm missing?

Thanks! This did the trick:

Set bsTrough = New cvpmTrough
		bsTrough.Size = 4
		bsTrough.InitSwitches Array(14, 13, 12, 11)
		bsTrough.Balls = 4

Today I had some time to experiment, and I decided to start from scratch- ofcoure reusing some of the artwork I already cleaned up. I have a more complete scan of the manual now, the images work better as a base than the pictures I had before.

GoldenCuePF-wip02.png

• 2 weeks later...

I almost completed the playfield graphics:

GoldenCuePF-wip04.thumb.png.d0c2a8142ad01654e8078e12a0518f07.png

Test apron, the checkmark lights are functioning ingame. Nearing playable status.

GoldenCueApron-wip01.thumb.png.1ee6bbb84822ebc8708d8d6235e1ad46.png

I'm also starting with Blender to create to 8-ball dome and experimenting with the ramps and rails. So the project is still ongoing!

• 4 weeks later...

Still busy with the plastics. The quality of the photo's I have are quite lacking, looking for alternatives and better shots where possible.

I may need some help with texturing of the dome. I can't seem to get a nice (8) circle on there with the UVs getting pinched. Perhap I just need to use different geometry. Getting the plastics right is my first priority.

GoldenCue-Wip05.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm still working on this one. However due to my job I currently have limited spare time. So it's usually about one evening per 2 weeks that I can spend on the hobby.

Gameplaywise, all is wired. I'm tweaking the flashers (the game has quite a few of them, and it looks way too much when these are all flashing in the game; so I want to tone them down a bit).

The plastics are becoming an issue- there aren't any decent resources of good enough quality available, so I'm considering alternatives like generic poolball pictures or other promo-shots of Kelly Packard until I find the right images.

• 2 months later...

I got a bit sidetracked- but it is still on my "active project" list. I may have reached the point where I could use some experienced eye to help out with a few things I'm struggeling with. I just can't get the flashers to look the way I want them.

What is the best way to collaborate on a project like this?

• Content Provider

I don't know what the "best" option would be, but there are at least a couple of options.

One would be to make a post detailing the changes you're trying to make and hope someone has a solution. This can be hit or miss. Either you'll get exactly the help you need to finish the table, or nobody will ever respond.

Another option would be releasing the table as a WIP with an open invitation for people to contact you or leave a comment with a potential answer to whatever tweaks you're still hoping to make. This option is assuming that the game functions, but perhaps isn't as perfect as you'd hope. I recently did this with Mini Golf. The game itself functioned, but I hadn't gotten around to making a backglass and I didn't have the skills to model the golfer. A couple of people ended up messaging me with offers to take care of these things and now the table is much better than when I first uploaded it to the site. I would lean towards calling this option the better of the two because it gets the work you've accomplished so far out into the world and gets some attention on whatever you have left on your wish list of edits.

There are probably more options, but those are the two that come to my mind. Whatever you decide, I hope to see this table released someday. It's always fun to play a new pool-themed pinball table and you've clearly put a lot of work into this.

On 8/23/2022 at 7:55 PM, CactusDude said:

IAnother option would be releasing the table as a WIP with an open invitation for people to contact you or leave a comment with a potential answer to whatever tweaks you're still hoping to make. This option is assuming that the game functions, but perhaps isn't as perfect as you'd hope. I recently did this with Mini Golf. The game itself functioned, but I hadn't gotten around to making a backglass and I didn't have the skills to model the golfer. A couple of people ended up messaging me with offers to take care of these things and now the table is much better than when I first uploaded it to the site. I would lean towards calling this option the better of the two because it gets the work you've accomplished so far out into the world and gets some attention on whatever you have left on your wish list of edits.

Thanks for the advise, I'll probably do this. I'll clean up some parts in the next week, and look to upload this one as a WIP-table. The game functions, so it is mostly cosmetics and some tweaking that needs to be done, so it should be playable for people interested in this!

On 8/22/2022 at 9:16 PM, Felsir said:

I got a bit sidetracked- but it is still on my "active project" list. I may have reached the point where I could use some experienced eye to help out with a few things I'm struggeling with. I just can't get the flashers to look the way I want them.

What is the best way to collaborate on a project like this?

Why don’t you message the VPW guys on here and ask for assistance?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have upscaled the playfield a bit, which makes the image a bit sharper, and removed the yellow from the colour temperature and added the colour red instead. If you are interested in the customised playfield, let me know. You might want to include my playfield in your final table (the format is filed in webp format to save space).

pict.jpg

Edited by timblo

I'm always open for suggestions! Color temperature looks nice.

What do you mean by "upscaled" the playfield? I have many parts of the playfield as vector elements (texts, the billiardballs, arrows, the vodka glasses, some gradients etc.) so these are quite sharp. Can you send my the file so I can have a look 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I've uploaded a new version of the table! Visually the table looks good, I've added the plastics, the nuts and bolts and tuned the lighting some more. In all, I think it is time to call this version 1.0! There may be some more things I will change over time, but hey- a table is never really finished is it?

I made a small banner to celebrate! 🙂

GC-banner.png.537edadda0f3294f1aba8e30256e983e.png

Golden Cue was designed in June 1998 and presented at the ATEI-London in January 1999 at the same time with the first Pinball-2000-models.

It didn't reach serial-production, and when Sega transformed to Stern-Pinball it came to new life as Sharkey's Shootout in 2000.

Not all features were completed in the Rom, and only 12 games are known to exist.

Game Rules:

• Completing the features as listed on the apron, lights up the corresponding "check"mark.
  • Completing all six (6) features qualifies the CORNER POCKET Shot to Collect Bonus. Completing the CORNER POCKET when "Collect Bonus"is lit, adds the remaining "Time Bonus" to the players score and ends the game. Shoot the "CORNER POCKET" to Lock Balls and Start Multiball.
  • Game ends after plaing the LAST BALL -or- collecting BONUS.
  • If a player has not played Multiball when the last ball begins, the "Multiball Ready" is automatically lit. CAUTION !!! Player will forfeit 1,000,000 points for each by-passed "Lock" Shot.
  • Use Post-Save Buttons (under the Flipper Buttons) to raise each Side Skill Post. Pressing both Post-Save Buttons at the same time raises the Center Skill Post.

Get the latest version from the download section (pending approval).

GC-DesktopMode.png

thanks for the updates 

some suggestions

the save posts don't work

Line 275-276

Line 283-284

the "KeyUpper Left" and "KeyUpperRight"   has been replaced with Magna button calls,  at least

most of us that have the extra buttons have them mapped to the Magna buttons

change this 

If KeyCode = KeyUpperLeft Then Controller.Switch(1)=1
	If KeyCode = KeyUpperRight Then Controller.Switch(8)=1

to this

If KeyCode=LeftMagnaSave Then Controller.Switch(1)=1
	If KeyCode=RightMagnaSave Then Controller.Switch(8)=1

you can keep both calls if you like by changing the call to an "Or" statement

If KeyCode=LeftMagnaSave or KeyUpperLeft Then Controller.Switch(1)=1
	If KeyCode=RightMagnaSave or KeyUpperRight  Then Controller.Switch(8)=1

I updated this calls and the center post was constantly triggering,  I only mapped the Magna calls and everything was working.

the bumpers also don't have any sound or DOF calls  Line 371

'Bumpers
Sub Bumper1_Hit:vpmTimer.PulseSw 49:End Sub  '49
Sub Bumper2_Hit:vpmTimer.PulseSw 51:End Sub  '51
Sub Bumper3_Hit:vpmTimer.PulseSw 50:End Sub '50

update to this

'Bumpers
Sub Bumper1_Hit : vpmTimer.PulseSw(49) : playsound SoundFX("fx_bumper1",DOFContactors): End Sub
Sub Bumper2_Hit : vpmTimer.PulseSw(51) : playsound SoundFX("fx_bumper2",DOFContactors): End Sub
Sub Bumper3_Hit : vpmTimer.PulseSw(52) : playsound SoundFX("fx_bumper3",DOFContactors): End Sub

The auto plunger also does not have a sound

line 298

.InitExitSnd SoundFX("fx_AutoPlunger",DOFContactors), SoundFX("fx_AutoPlunger",DOFContactors)

the event has a sound call but the "fx_AutoPlunger"  sound was not added tot he Sound Collection. 

you need to add the fx_AutoPlunger to the sound collection or add a different sound and updated the script to call your updated sound file.

Thank you for pointing these out! I'm happy to have put the table out there- got some good feedback and assistance from it. (Thanks @CactusDude for encouraging that).

@Pinballuser I've added the changes to version 1.2.

Note the reason you kept repeated activation of the post-save was because the 2nd half of the "or" statement should also evaluate something not just KeyUpperLeft. Anyway, I fixed it so it now works on both buttons. Many thanks for pointing these out!