Glow Effect!

zanyt13

Hey!
I'm new here, but a plays alot...mostly VP, but also som FP.
I'm thinking about buying a real DMD for my comming pincab project...because of the look. When using a 17 or 19 inch display as a DMD, the content look abit dull or boring, so i got this idea, to make the displays look more real, and make it brighter, and give all dots abit of glowing.
Not sure if it is possible, but it would look nice. I made a quick one in PS just to se how it would look like.
So what do you think....and is it possible? :D

post-1632-0-94015900-1372190376_thumb.jpg

I debated with my self over this issue for quite a while of real DMD or not.  The one issue I hung up on is that with a real DMD you can use real speakers where they would normally be, but you would only have one speaker grill design. With the two monitor setup, I have all the custom speaker grills that each table had and ultimately that is what made me choose the two screen setup. I just didn't want to loose all the really cool artwork for the individual speaker grills.

Another point if you do decide to go real DMD, make sure it will work with FP. I know it will with VP, but I haven't kept up with the DMD projects on FP since I'm not using one.

Good luck, it was a tough decision for me, and I still revisit it often.

I agree that a "glow" filter would be an awesome addition to pinmame.  You have to wonder why this wasnt added years ago? 

On the real vs monitor front:   Dont forget that a 'real' led DMD also does not glow as much as a plasma display does (although they obviously look better than a lcd monitor). 

• 6 months later...

Yes hit f1 when table is in attract mode in vp editor not in hyperpin. Then change the 67 to 77 and then the next one from 33 to 44 and the last one from 20 to 0. This will take out all the unwanted dots and it will be more clear. I find the best color for a dmd is yellow, But can be changed to color of your choice. Hit f3 when done hitting ok to reset.

why are all dmds one color?and why red? is it that tough to make a multicolored one?

just asking as a multicolored one would really make the pins pop...more than they already do anyhow

This is the only reason I have stayed with an LCD . . I think that being able to customize the color to the table you are playing is really cool. If you could get a real DMD in multi-colored I would be all over that in a second.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Plasma dot matrix displays are expensive and complex to build due to the cellular structure of the dielectric layer. It's a LOT easier to have a single color phosphor to emit photons through using PWM than constructing subpixel cells that generate color tones. The particular shade of orange we're all familiar with is used because it is one of the single brightest glowing phosphorescent crystals we can produce.

Multicolored DMDs are now on the market, but are game specific as all of the color data has to be supplemented in to the ROM's output in real time by a chip in the DMD. The game itself would have no way of understanding that it now has color capacity.

Archived