Need help with FX3 pup pack triggers using Lucky1s dmddevice.dll

Pin666

Hi guys! I still can’t figure out, how to use Lucky1s dmddevice.dll in combination with FX3 pup packs. The PIN2DMD itself works fine and the pup packs start, but will not trigger any videos. Just swapping the dmddevice.dll with the one from Freezy makes everything work. Off course than I don’t have 64 color support anymore.
I must be missing something here. Any help is much appreciated!

35 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

I’ve read that before and renamed freezys dll to dmdscreen.dll. That works well for VPX pup packs, but doesn’t do the job for FX3 in my case.

is it supposed to work on FX3 as well? 

1 hour ago, Pin666 said:

I’ve read that before and renamed freezys dll to dmdscreen.dll. That works well for VPX pup packs, but doesn’t do the job for FX3 in my case.

is it supposed to work on FX3 as well? 

No.  You would really need an updated version of dmdext for that (which supports the 4.xx firmware).  However, there was a beta version of 1.9 that supported it, but didn't make it into the final freezy code.  I have been using it without issue for both fx3 and future pinball.  Here is the link:

3 hours ago, movieguy said:

No.  You would really need an updated version of dmdext for that (which supports the 4.xx firmware).  However, there was a beta version of 1.9 that supported it, but didn't make it into the final freezy code.  I have been using it without issue for both fx3 and future pinball.  Here is the link:

Thanks for your help! It turned out though that I use PUPdmd and not dmdext. I don’t even know why exactly I switched to PUPdmd at some time. But now at least I know that there is nothing wrong on my side. So I had to come up with a workaround for my setup. The good part is that I don’t have to use a beta build. Here is how I made it work. Look at the pics. Pinup popper made it possible. You can choose to use freezys dll by custom launch_param in games manager on tables that needs it.
the background on why I rename the dll and not just copy it is the fact that the dmddevice.dll is in use while the table starts. The dll is locked by windows at that time. But if you rename a dll the existing file handles will be handed over to the renamed dll and things will still work. New file handles will go to the newly renamed dll.

at least this works now on my setup. If someone wants to try it, please backup your stuff first. Use at own risk.

D07E849B-5BC2-432D-A732-5DF24B54FDAE.jpeg

6483897A-A483-46B0-8921-150504D2E9C1.jpeg

5E3B41B5-9417-40C4-ABA5-8776757DE21E.jpeg

• 2 months later...

If I can use this method to make this work, I will beer you ASAP! I have the exact same problem and also use the pup control dmd method. Which version of Freezy's DLL are you using? I simply cannot get the videos to trigger no matter what I do (Aliens puppack). Everything else works fine and of course I want to use Lucky's dll so I can finally get the 64 bit color versions for VPX tables. It has driven me crazy so I yelled outright when I read your reply :).   

24 minutes ago, jdsabin1 said:

If I can use this method to make this work, I will beer you ASAP! I have the exact same problem and also use the pup control dmd method. Which version of Freezy's DLL are you using? I simply cannot get the videos to trigger no matter what I do (Aliens puppack). Everything else works fine and of course I want to use Lucky's dll so I can finally get the 64 bit color versions for VPX tables. It has driven me crazy so I yelled outright when I read your reply :).   

Latest Freezy for 64 Color - https://github.com/freezy/dmd-extensions/releases
Or
this - https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/4123-pin2dmd-colorprism-v30-firmware/#comment-44773

Latest Lucky1 - https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD

Thanks outhere! I am using the latest 64 color freezy so all good there. I wasn't sure what version of the older freezy dll was being used to trigger videos for the FX3 pup packs. I have a 1.7 version around so figured I would start with that and see how it works using the method pin666 describes above :). The 64 color freezy dll just won't work when I run a pup pack for FX3 inside popper. 

Closing the loop. I went back through and added the bmp's from the Aliens pup pack that were a separate download from the main pup pack and also reworked the startup script for FX3 making sure I followed the popper page related to FX3 setup. At that point, things started working.  I wound up buying all the FX3 games so I just hated to delete them altogether so I decided to try to spruce up FX3 as much as I could because it was either that or remove all of them from my cab forever because I am more a purist and played VPX 99% of the time. With a pup pack and mirroring the DMD area, tweaking the way scores and some other things worked, getting the 'start new game' automated, adding two player options and the different modes with wheels within popper, FX3 is now as good as it can get on a cabinet and even though I do not anticipate playing them a ton more, occasionally it will now be fun to play an FX3 game on the cabinet when we're in the mood for a pinball arcade game experience versus a true pinball simulation.