R.I.P. Coach John Madden

watacaractr

What an amazing career arc Madden had! Multiple overlapping arcs. Check out some of Al Michael's stories he tells about him. Fun stuff.

He was head coach of the Raiders against my Browns in the 'Red Right 88' game in '81 that I think started the long run of bad luck the Browns have had to this day. ...but I still loved him. How could you not!!

FOX just did a special tribute to him 3 days ago (Christmas Day).  I didn't like him much back in the 70's (because his Raiders were always kicking my team's ass), but he was a great coach, had a great football mind, and was probably the most interesting and colorful football commentator of all time.  My wife, who is not the biggest football fan, would actually sit down and watch an entire football game with me, regardless of the teams playing, as long as Madden was covering it.   She would also shush me if I tried to speak to her when he was talking.  He was the best.  R.I.P. coach Madden.

• Content Provider

Agreed. Great coach, amazing commentator. Games were always better with him. His "All Madden Team" specials were must see. I considered selection to his teams to be more prestigious than the Pro Bowl.