This does works properly !

dave28

1 hour ago, DanLShane said:

Plenty of VPX users would disagree.

This is a hobby supported by volunteers that requires an investment of time and love. It may not be for you.

Well if any of them want to explain exactly what software to actually download and install and what tables will work with it then that would be a huge help because it is crazy complicated how all this is set up and i would imagine plenty have been quickly put off

I sense your frustration, and I recognize that Visual Pinball installation can be daunting to those just getting started.  If the moderators don't mind me linking to a companion site dedicated to the hobby I would recommend reading and following this tutorial:

Visual Pinball Installation Guide - Installation and Setup - Visual Pinball Tutorials - Tutorials - VPForums.org

Perosnally, I got started in the hobby by installing a front-end program called Pinball Emporium. It includes all of the setup files needed for VPX, Future Pinball, Doflinx, and other elements that can get you running inside of 1/2 hour.  A YouTube video guides the newbie step-by-step through installation. Others prefer PinUp Popper, and there are tutorials for installing and using that VP organizer.

Again, I admit that this hobby seems rather segmented, but if you consider that there is no single company or individual behind this it should not come as a surprise. Contributors are scattered all over the planet, and instead of expressing dismay I would recommend making friends of these generous souls who owe us nothing yet give so much.

17 minutes ago, DanLShane said:

I sense your frustration, and I recognize that Visual Pinball installation can be daunting to those just getting started.  If the moderators don't mind me linking to a companion site dedicated to the hobby I would recommend reading and following this tutorial:

Visual Pinball Installation Guide - Installation and Setup - Visual Pinball Tutorials - Tutorials - VPForums.org

Perosnally, I got started in the hobby by installing a front-end program called Pinball Emporium. It includes all of the setup files needed for VPX, Future Pinball, Doflinx, and other elements that can get you running inside of 1/2 hour.  A YouTube video guides the newbie step-by-step through installation. Others prefer PinUp Popper, and there are tutorials for installing and using that VP organizer.

Again, I admit that this hobby seems rather segmented, but if you consider that there is no single company or individual behind this it should not come as a surprise. Contributors are scattered all over the planet, and instead of expressing dismay I would recommend making friends of these generous souls who owe us nothing yet give so much.

Thank you, im sorry for my rant. I could have done much more research before so maybe it is also my impatience also.

What keeps happening usually goes like this :

I have the VP 10.6 software and i download a table that says requires 10.6.

I try to get it started and i get this pop-up.

VBScript

machine carhop ( car hop ) terminated before initialized,

check the rom path or rom file!

then i click on ok and the table does come up on the screen and some of the buttons do work, but the main buttons like the add coin / start dont work.

i have even tried assigning then to different keys but nothing, it is as if they just dont register at all and i cant play the table.

Ah, now we're getting somewhere!

Yes, Visual Pinball requires a lot of different components to function, unlike Future Pinball.  What you are missing are the original ROM files that come directly from the original pinball machine vendors. (Bally, Stern, Gottlieb, etc.)  The error mesage you cited should include the name of the ROM file you need (in your case, "carhop.zip"). A Google search for CARHOP.ZIP ROM should locate a place to download the individual ROM. Leave it in ZIP format and copy the Zip to \Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\roms folder.  That is where you should store all of your ROM files.

Direct and specific questions will almost always get a solution for you thanks to the knowledgeable folks here and on VPforums.  Welcome to the hobby!  The more you play the more you will learn. Eventually you will be helping others.

At the top of the page - under the downloads section - there is a link to PinUp Popper "Baller" Installer. The easiest way to get set up. Once that is done you will need to download the VPX table and the corresponding ROM file to the relevant directories

• Content Provider

Hi,

Just something: instead of saying "None of this works properly" or "tables... are full of errors" you should say "I didn't managed to make it working", "I get errors and don't know why" " because most probably nearly all here is working and the only issue is on your side.

And instead of

6 hours ago, dave28 said:

Reaaly need to unify all this into one software download that all the tables will work on because i have wasted hours on this get some tables to work but for the most part its a waste of time

It would be most probably also better to say: "can someone please help me? because I don't understand. What should be installed?" and even more if you want someone to be able to help you something interresting would be to put in your first post what you want run exactly and quickly what is your configuration...

That's said, I hope you now manage to resolve your issues.

VP requires some effort; like already mentioned. I recommend this guide https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=tutorials&article=160

Because, if you install a "on in all" - you are still pretty clueless to how it works in the first place. What is described there is pretty easy to follow and really essential. Now, I haven't used the baller installer myself, but, I expect that you don't need at least the first step in this mentioned guide, but, you absolutely need to do the rest - figuring out if the machine requires a rom and if it does; making it available for pinmame.

3 hours ago, Aubrel said:

Just something: instead of saying "None of this works properly" or "tables... are full of errors" you should say "I didn't managed to make it working", "I get errors and don't know why" " because most probably nearly all here is working and the only issue is on your side.

This is really good life advice. Emotional intelligence 101.

Stick with it... it DOES all make sense eventually, but as everything is an add-on for another part of the jigsaw, all written by different people with different reasons it's tough to get it all linked in your head....  start with "A"  get that working.. then layer on the other bits as you go :)

22 hours ago, DanLShane said:

Ah, now we're getting somewhere!

Yes, Visual Pinball requires a lot of different components to function, unlike Future Pinball.  What you are missing are the original ROM files that come directly from the original pinball machine vendors. (Bally, Stern, Gottlieb, etc.)  The error mesage you cited should include the name of the ROM file you need (in your case, "carhop.zip"). A Google search for CARHOP.ZIP ROM should locate a place to download the individual ROM. Leave it in ZIP format and copy the Zip to \Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\roms folder.  That is where you should store all of your ROM files.

Direct and specific questions will almost always get a solution for you thanks to the knowledgeable folks here and on VPforums.  Welcome to the hobby!  The more you play the more you will learn. Eventually you will be helping others.

Thank you, I have it working now after doing that.

Its like a key to get the table going i guess, that makes things much more clear.

• dave28 changed the title to This does works properly !
9 hours ago, dave28 said:

Its like a key to get the table going i guess, that makes things much more clear.

Really ROM files used for VPX tables serve basically the very same purpose as ROM chips do in real pinball machines providing sound, rules, features, lighting matrix along with the code for the basic game which is why most VPX tables require the ROM file  or files to function. Some "original" authored VPX tables don't use a ROM but some do it just depends on how the table author codes to get the functions and features out of their design that they want.

Hope that helps.

12 minutes ago, blanger said:

Really ROM files used for VPX tables serve basically the very same purpose as ROM chips do in real pinball machines providing sound, rules, features, lighting matrix along with the code for the basic game which is why most VPX tables require the ROM file  or files to function. Some "original" authored VPX tables don't use a ROM but some do it just depends on how the table author codes to get the functions and features out of their design that they want.

Hope that helps.

Yes i have an original ghostbursters slimer table now that did not need a ROM.

The issue i have now is this. I have vpx10.6 set up on a laptop and a desktop.

Both were running fine and then out of the blue i get this issue where my mouse cursor does not register on the vp program, it seems to go invisible and it happened on both the laptop and desktop.

After looking online i found others who had the same problem and the fix that works for me is to go into the graphics options and un-select "force full screen" or something like that.

And then it goes back to how it was before the issue happened and all is good.

It is an odd issue, i dont know what triggers it because i never changed any settings as far as i remember.

I'd have to check my setup but I'm pretty sure my mouse will not work or move on a screen when a table is loaded and start is pushed starting a game, but I'm using the full screen setting in the display options, the only way I get control of the mouse is if I pause the game by using one of the "function keys" to bring up menu settings or service menus but the mouse goes away as soon as I reenter the game and continue playing the table.

I think this is a "Windows" thing related to full screen mode where if you start a game (doesn't use the mouse to play) the mouse is removed from the screen until the game gives control back to the Windows desktop, which is why if your not in full screen mode you have access to the mouse it's a behavior I've seen before with Windows based games that run in full screen mode, but I could be totally wrong about your problem. 😃

I also have a MMO that I play on my desktop which is a three screen setup if I start the game in full screen mode it captures the mouse cursor and it can only travel inside the screen the game is playing on, but if I play the game in a "window" (not full screen) the mouse cursor freely travels from the game screen to the other screens while playing the game, but as soon as I would click on something on the other screens I loose control of my game until I click back in that window..... hope that makes sense.

Edited by blanger

• Administrators
On 12/12/2021 at 7:53 AM, dave28 said:

Fixed now thanks to one of the replies helping me, thanks

Please do not edit your original posts and remove the original questions asked.  Doing this is not helpful to anyone else that may be seeking the same advice.