VR - Ball trail or refresh issue - ball not super smooth

Hi all, I jumped into VR pinball as an extra feature of my cab, I have been running standard VPX and all works great, smooth, etc. (Thank you all to the community for the awesomeness you provide!)

I got VR to work, and tables load and play  (it crashes with pupcapture checked so I will explore that, but I am first working on and focusing on improving the gameplay within VR playing standard tables. My test table is TOTAN, and that is running good. The issue I am seeing is I see like a ball shadow or trail...as the ball comes down quickly, I can see kind of a faint ball behind it, I am wondering where in the settings I can tweak or try and improve this so that I do not see this trailed image.

I am running Oculus Quest 2, on a 1060 ti 6gb

Is this graphics card my bottleneck?

I adjusted refresh rates inside the oculus settings, I could see some improvement, but still seeing the ball trail. Is there anywhere else to check? I tried increasing the super sampling above 1.0 but that made the whole table wig out and get distorted.

Am I stuck with what I have due to the card I have? or are there some tweaks I can try to adjust?

Thank you!

Are you playing the tables that are optimized for VR? You said "standard" tables, if you are talking about Flupper1's version of TOTAN that has been optimized for VR (in the large room filled with gold) then you need to set your "VR Far Plane" to 20,000, also, make sure your "Max Texture" is set to 3072. If this is the room you are trying and still have issues, there is another version by psiomicron that is in a minimal room to be a bit more resource friendly. 

Ok thanks...I will try looking at those adjustements. I was playing VR room as well as some of the latest VPW tables in VR....they all seemed fuzzy to me and at times not super fluid, so I was not sure if it is limited due to my hardware config, or if maybe VR is fuzzy normally..or perhaps I am not tweaking the right settings to improve graphics on the oculus.

Im also jumping from a 4k tv (my 2d setup) to VR Oculus Quest 2, so perhaps my expectations for clarity is too high?

On 12/15/2021 at 11:50 PM, cmt26 said:

Ok thanks...I will try looking at those adjustements. I was playing VR room as well as some of the latest VPW tables in VR....they all seemed fuzzy to me and at times not super fluid, so I was not sure if it is limited due to my hardware config, or if maybe VR is fuzzy normally..or perhaps I am not tweaking the right settings to improve graphics on the oculus.

Im also jumping from a 4k tv (my 2d setup) to VR Oculus Quest 2, so perhaps my expectations for clarity is too high?

Hard to say but I used to have a GTX 1070 and remember wanting more so I bought a GTX 1080 and then remember wanting more still so I bought an RTX 3080, I am finally happy :) Table is clear from top to bottom. As for tweaking the settings, try leaving the VPVR SS at 1.0 and adjust the Oculus Rendering and possibly the SS with the Oculus Debug Tool (see below) and setting the FPS Limiter/Sync and Maximum Prerendered Frames to "1" in the VPX/Preferences/Video Graphics Options. Some other settings to check are ball stretch (don't stretch the ball for VR and cabinet anti-stretch the ball for VPX), max texture dimension (3072 for VR and usually unlimited for VPX), FS Backdrop (untick for VR and tick for VPX) and Force Exclusive Full screen (turn off for VR and enable for VPX)

How to boost Oculus Quest 2 resolution using link Open the Oculus app on your Computer.
Click Devices on the left side of the app.
Click Quest and Touch.
Scroll down to Graphics Preferences.
Here, you can adjust your Refresh Rate and Render Resolution.
Refresh rate: The number of times your Quest 2 screen updates with new images each second. You can set your refresh rate to 72 Hz, 80 Hz, or 90 Hz.(I would start at 72Hz)
Render Resolution: Adjusts the resolution that the app or game you're using is being rendered at. The maximum render resolution you can set is 5408 x 2736.
Improved visuals vs performance
Keep in mind, while increasing your refresh rate and render resolution will result in improved visuals, these adjustments could have a negative impact on overall performance. Even with some of the newest and most powerful GPUs, maxing out values for the render resolution slider with a 90 Hz refresh rate may result in dropped or missing frames, which creates a less smooth in-VR experience, if you wanted more resolution you could grab the "Oculus Debug Tool" in your Oculus software folder and bump up the resolution even more. To do this, adjust the "Pixels Per Display Pixel Override" Setting it at "1" results in 100%, try 1.1 and hit enter, then 1.2 (1.2 means 44% more pixels) and so on until you have issues then back off a bit until everything is smooth. Always launch the Oculus software first, then the Debug Tool and make your settings, then open VPVR. Unfortunately this has to be done every VR session unlike the OTT

Awesome, thanks for the detailed response guys, I unfortunately cannot tackle it this weekend to test but will try over the next week. Great guide and I will post results once I try everything out. But sounds like I need to take out a second mortgage and upgrade the graphics card to reach my expectations lol.

Thanks again for the suggestions, guide, and tweaks. Unfortunately I think I am limited with my hardware. It still is cool and plays well with minor hiccups, but perhaps if I ever have an extra 2/3k laying around I can come back and tackle the tweaks again and now I have a starting point.

thank you

Edited by cmt26