Kl25z plunger calibration

GGPinball

Hello all,

having some issues with trying to calibrate my plunger for the kl25z. Using the stand alone board and followed mjr’s guide. Tried with first the potentiometer and then the optical sensor. For some reason when I try to calibrate the software flickers open for a second and closes, preventing calibration. Any idea why this is happening?

• Content Provider
On 12/8/2021 at 8:41 PM, GGPinball said:

Hello all,

having some issues with trying to calibrate my plunger for the kl25z. Using the stand alone board and followed mjr’s guide. Tried with first the potentiometer and then the optical sensor. For some reason when I try to calibrate the software flickers open for a second and closes, preventing calibration. Any idea why this is happening?

A little confused why you are trying pot and optical sensor? what are you using? Try downloading the software and checking its unblocked or that windows has not eaten any files. Have you ever had the plunger working at all? If not possibly connected wrong? 

16 hours ago, pritch33 said:

A little confused why you are trying pot and optical sensor? what are you using? Try downloading the software and checking its unblocked or that windows has not eaten any files. Have you ever had the plunger working at all? If not possibly connected wrong? 

Not using both at the same time. First I tried pot route and that didn’t work. Bought another and had same issues. Then I switched over to the optical sensor. 

Physically they work but I can’t calibrate them. When I try to open up calibrate in the pinscape software, it closes immediately on its own. 

I did try to redownload and unblock but that didn’t help. Next thing I’m gonna try is hooking up my kl25z to a different computer and install the software there to see if it’s the board or my computer. 

• Content Provider
17 hours ago, GGPinball said:

Not using both at the same time. First I tried pot route and that didn’t work. Bought another and had same issues. Then I switched over to the optical sensor. 

Physically they work but I can’t calibrate them. When I try to open up calibrate in the pinscape software, it closes immediately on its own. 

I did try to redownload and unblock but that didn’t help. Next thing I’m gonna try is hooking up my kl25z to a different computer and install the software there to see if it’s the board or my computer. 

I assume you have tried the obvious? No idea when it comes to optical. As for the pot, what pot are you using? pic of how its wired would help. tested with a different USB lead, different USB port , checked for shorts. Are you using any other USB devices on the cab (conflict?) I had a similar issue helping put someone recently using one of the small red Chinese pots of eBay that have 2 lots of connectors and it appears  I stuffed one channel but got the second working. Done a few pots and first time I had an issue.

6 hours ago, pritch33 said:

I assume you have tried the obvious? No idea when it comes to optical. As for the pot, what pot are you using? pic of how its wired would help. tested with a different USB lead, different USB port , checked for shorts. Are you using any other USB devices on the cab (conflict?) I had a similar issue helping put someone recently using one of the small red Chinese pots of eBay that have 2 lots of connectors and it appears  I stuffed one channel but got the second working. Done a few pots and first time I had an issue.

So i followed the pinscape build guide to the t. I did different usb ports, front and back of the pc where the connect in seperate ports on the board, also tried with different usb cables. the board is all I am using for buttons so no usb encoders to conflict. I purchased two different pots on amazon. The thing I'm thinking now is the shorts. I'm wondering if one of the cables im using from pot to board is shorted. Maybe thats why it is causing the calibration to open and close so quick..

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, GGPinball said:

So i followed the pinscape build guide to the t. I did different usb ports, front and back of the pc where the connect in seperate ports on the board, also tried with different usb cables. the board is all I am using for buttons so no usb encoders to conflict. I purchased two different pots on amazon. The thing I'm thinking now is the shorts. I'm wondering if one of the cables im using from pot to board is shorted. Maybe thats why it is causing the calibration to open and close so quick..

Just remembered another issue I had with a pot. if you are attaching your pot via the screw holes that are on some, try removing them or backing them off a little. I had a problem with them shorting out the pot, must have been pressing on something internally.

Was it this style of  pot. As this is the only type I have managed to short out. https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Logarithmic-Potentiometer-Arduino-Electronic/dp/B01CZVZ16O/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Slide+Potentiometer&qid=1639424687&sr=8-4

7 hours ago, pritch33 said:

Just remembered another issue I had with a pot. if you are attaching your pot via the screw holes that are on some, try removing them or backing them off a little. I had a problem with them shorting out the pot, must have been pressing on something internally.

Was it this style of  pot. As this is the only type I have managed to short out. https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Logarithmic-Potentiometer-Arduino-Electronic/dp/B01CZVZ16O/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Slide+Potentiometer&qid=1639424687&sr=8-4

No I used one with the three pins. In all honesty, it could be my shoddy solder job lol. I have to record a video of what happens. It looks like it opens for like a millisecond and then closes. Then it will do it multiple times. And sometimes act like I’m hitting alt/ctl/delete

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, GGPinball said:

No I used one with the three pins. In all honesty, it could be my shoddy solder job lol. I have to record a video of what happens. It looks like it opens for like a millisecond and then closes. Then it will do it multiple times. And sometimes act like I’m hitting alt/ctl/delete

Pics might help then. DId you solder the KLZ or just the pot.? Have you tried testing buttons in the pinscape software. or is this just an upgrade to a plunger. you have had a pinball for a while?

6 hours ago, pritch33 said:

Pics might help then. DId you solder the KLZ or just the pot.? Have you tried testing buttons in the pinscape software. or is this just an upgrade to a plunger. you have had a pinball for a while?

Yes I solder wire right to the board and to the pot. Buttons all work fine in the pinscape software and when actually in use. Plunger is the only issues I run into. Built the cab about a year ago. This is my first build and my main cab to play on. 

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, GGPinball said:

Yes I solder wire right to the board and to the pot. Buttons all work fine in the pinscape software and when actually in use. Plunger is the only issues I run into. Built the cab about a year ago. This is my first build and my main cab to play on. 

If you soldered wires directly I would be looking for a short. maybe a loose strand of wire. Personally the pins are a better option IMO. Are you sure your wiring is correct also on the pot. 

1 hour ago, pritch33 said:

If you soldered wires directly I would be looking for a short. maybe a loose strand of wire. Personally the pins are a better option IMO. Are you sure your wiring is correct also on the pot. 

I'm gonna rewire and try again. I definitely have everything wired correctly. Here is what Im talking about for what it does when calibrating. I have the optical sensor set for this one, but it does the same when i switch over to the pots. Second video shows how its going crazy on its own,

Ok update: so I decided to try out the plunger in my laptop. Downloaded pinscape software. I was able to calibrate it without a problem and program it to save on the kl25z. Plug it back into my pincab and now it looks like it’s working. Didn’t open up pinscape software on computer but has to be something with my cabs settings that doesn’t like the pinscape software

• Content Provider
16 hours ago, GGPinball said:

Ok update: so I decided to try out the plunger in my laptop. Downloaded pinscape software. I was able to calibrate it without a problem and program it to save on the kl25z. Plug it back into my pincab and now it looks like it’s working. Didn’t open up pinscape software on computer but has to be something with my cabs settings that doesn’t like the pinscape software

Glad you got it sorted. Sounds very strange indeed. Maybe virus software blocking pinscape? I was sure its a short.

17 hours ago, pritch33 said:

Glad you got it sorted. Sounds very strange indeed. Maybe virus software blocking pinscape? I was sure its a short.

You know I thought I put an exception on the pinscape folder. I’ll have to check on that. If it is I’ll update you. 

Upon further testing, it is not a permission issue. I did have the folder and sub folders listed as exceptions. I then turned off all antivirus and still received the same results. 

I then switched from the optical sensor back over to my Potentiometer. Had to do same fix of connecting it to a different computer to calibrate and save. This is the second laptop I tested it on and it works fine with both. So it has to be something weird and localized to my own machine.