Baywatch shifting image on display

Rene368

• Content Provider

I have finally had time to install my PIN2DMD XL shield version in my baywatch. I installed version 4.25 of the software.

I used version 1.1 of Malenko's colorization files. But when the game is turned on, the image on the display shifts in some frames. Pretty annoying.

When I remove the SD card and the display falls back to "VGA" colorization the image doesn't shift. I don't know what the problem is.

Has anyone experienced this before or has a solution for this problem?

I made a video showing the problem:

• Content Provider

Thank you for the tips.

I will update te software first.

I also reterminated the 5V connector going to the dmd controller when installing the new PIN2DMD display. But I did not check the voltage on this connector. I am going to measure this and hope it's something with the connector.

• Content Provider

I have measured the voltage on the DMD controller using a Multimeter. The voltage was 5.05V and was steady.
I also did an update to V4.26, but I get the feeling the problem got worse.

I also did a test with 2 micro SD cards (Samsung 2GB (old, it doesn't have a speed class) & Sandisk ultra class 10 HC1 8GB) and found the Sandisk to perform better. There was less shifting compared to the Samsung.
But the problem is still present and at this moment I have the feeling it's the type of micro SD used.

Any thoughts?

• Content Provider

I used the V4 shield (waveshare SD holder) (ordered 2-1-2020) with a 144p NUCLEO-F429ZI with a DIY PCB of the waveshare SD card holder.
The Shield and panels are powered from the step down regulator PCB from Github.

The step down regulator PCB is powered from my DE/SEGA/STERN power adaptor PCB.

Voltage from the regulator is 4.8V ~ 4.81V when the machine is on.

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, lucky1 said:

This could be the issue.

I couldn't image how. I almost copied it from their pictures. I made an image of the SD card holder. I used their schematic for reference and used the SD card holder that is also on the EVO PCB's.

3 hours ago, lucky1 said:

You can also try to lower the panel voltage to 4.1V and see if that changes anything

If I lower the  voltage to the panels, I also lower the voltage going to the shield. I don't know if every component still works good with a lower voltage, like the nucleo.

20211117_190804.jpg

• Content Provider

If I read the board file correctly it's connected to the 5V of the nucleo. I don't know if it will work with a lower voltage, but I will try the 4.1V and see what happens.

Hopefully this solves the shifting problem.

• Content Provider

Well I tried with the 4.1V. There was no difference compared to the last video.
Also for good measurement I put the color mode to yellow and removed the SD card, at this moment the image wasn't shifting at all.

As soon as I installed the SD card and reset the display the colors came back and so did the shifting. Also I find it weird the shifting is not in every frame.

• Content Provider

I guess there is some kind of crosstalking between RGB_DMD_CLK on the HUB75 and a signal from the SD reader, but I never experienced anything like that before.

To verify that you could do a dump recording to see if the input signals are clean.

• Content Provider

So I made a dump and there was something I noticed. When the dump is started the shiftings stops and everything is fine. When stopping the dumping it appears again. I made a video of it.

I first open the coin door and closed it to get back to the "insert coin" screen were you can see shifting. Then I start dumping, open the coin door and closed it. Again you see the "insert coin" screen, but no shifting. Lastly I stop dumping and again open the coin door and closed it. "insert coin" screen starts shifting again. I also played a game of screen when dumping and there was no shifting.

The dump looked pretty weird when shown in the editor. I have a pixelated screen and when pressing start I get a pop up screen saying: "java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException". I don't know if this is on my side with the dump.

The dump is from what has been recordered during filming.

281121_143702_pin2dmd_dump.raw 281121_143702_pin2dmd_dump.txt

• Content Provider
23 minutes ago, Rene368 said:

The dump looked pretty weird when shown in the editor. I have a pixelated screen and when pressing start I get a pop up screen saying: "java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException". I don't know if this is on my side with the dump.

You need to set 192x64 as resolution in the config of the editor before loading a 192x64 recording and you need to gzip the txt file before loading it as a recording.

The recording looks fine, which means the signal distortion is happening on the output path. So it seems that the card reader signals are interfering the HUB75 output.

I don´t have that problem with my EVO and never recognized it on the Nucleo. 

281121_143702_pin2dmd_dump.txt.gz

• Content Provider

I did set the resolution correctly, but I did not gzip it. Could you explain how you zipped it, because when I zip it using winrar it does not open in the editor when selected.

Is there an explanation why it doesn't shift when i'm dumping? I find this interesting.

52 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

I don´t have that problem with my EVO and never recognized it on the Nucleo. 

Is there something I could try? I would like to fix this.

• Content Provider

gzip is not zip . I use 7zip with gzip as compressor.

30 minutes ago, Rene368 said:

Is there an explanation why it doesn't shift when i'm dumping? I find this interesting.

No idea, Maybe the timing changes caused by the USB transfer ? 

31 minutes ago, Rene368 said:

Is there something I could try? I would like to fix this.

Did you try a shorter ribbon cable ?

• Content Provider
14 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

gzip is not zip . I use 7zip with gzip as compressor.

Thank you.

15 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

No idea, Maybe the timing changes caused by the USB transfer ? 

A yes, that could be it. But the timing is something we normally can't change, I suppose?

15 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

Did you try a shorter ribbon cable ?

Between the dmd controller and the shield? No, the original was to short so I made a new one. I could try to make a shorter one.

• Content Provider
10 hours ago, Rene368 said:

Between the dmd controller and the shield? No, the original was to short so I made a new one. I could try to make a shorter one.

Do I understand that right, the original cable delivered with the panels was too short and you had to make a longer one ?

If yes then the could be the cause. Try a original cable or even shorter than that.

• Content Provider
5 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Do I understand that right, the original cable delivered with the panels was too short and you had to make a longer one ?

No, not the HUB75 cables. I extended the ribbon cable from the DMD controller to the shield. The original was to short.

But now that I've read your response you mean shorter HUB75 ribbon cables that came with the displays. I could try that. 

5 hours ago, lucky1 said:

One other thing you could try is increasing the delay of the scene Credits to 5000 (currently has 93).

Just change the value and press enter.

This is something in the editor, I suppose. I first need to dive into the editor how it works. Because I don't exactly know what you mean.