Importing gif as scene replacement?

• Content Provider

You can also import animated gifs and if needed split them into single frames in the editor. I have done that for a private project using Photoshop. You need to export the gif while making sure you use the right amount of colors and the correct dimensions. The palette will be imported the same time. 

6 hours ago, NetzZwerg said:

You can also import animated gifs and if needed split them into single frames in the editor. I have done that for a private project using Photoshop. You need to export the gif while making sure you use the right amount of colors and the correct dimensions. The palette will be imported the same time. 

Took a few shots at this.  I must be missing something!

Where do you specify the palette being imported? And does it try to build out 64 colors?

• Content Provider

First of all download the latest editor from google drive.

Then use Scene/Recording -> import Scenes to import a animated gif.

If <= 64 colors are used the picture is imported with 6 planes.

If more colors are used it is imported with 24 planes. 

Hi Lucky - very helpful!  Your direction is going to make my Last Action Hero concept, a reality!!!

Where can i read more about, planes?

And just a humble suggestion, can the link to the google drive pin2dmd editor be saved in the FIRST POST of the thread here:  pin2dmd tutorial

Or just make the link to the editor a topic and sticky the thread so it is easier to access for new artists, like myself!

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, trueno92 said:

Where can i read more about, planes?

Planes means the number of color in bits. 6bit = 64 colors, 24bits = 16,8Million

1 hour ago, trueno92 said:

And just a humble suggestion, can the link to the google drive pin2dmd editor be saved in the FIRST POST of the thread here:  pin2dmd tutorial

That post is fromNetzZwerg. I can only edit my own posts and not those of others, but the download link is here https://pin2dmd.com/#5

hi again,

Had an issue with many scene replacements and also palette updates 

the scene looks fine in the editor, all colors working ok.

However, when I play it back in real pin, i get strange corruption of the palettes, the scene plays back normally.

anyone else experience this?

Thank you for your speedy replies as I am hammering out this now.

What happens when I extract colors?  I press on it and i update the palette, but i don't see the color palette on the right get updated

image.thumb.png.52e7cd2497078ed71c98bd319095d9fd.png

what happens after quantize?   i press it, but i don't really see what happens.  

ok to help others

image.thumb.png.90ae0a736386f53dbddbc3ec6ecccdbf.pngyou 

we need to select the colors and add them to the palette so it can be the 64 colors used for the scene. then it will add them to the palette.

then build out the scene on the new palette making sure the keyframe matches

Edited by trueno92

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, trueno92 said:

question - once I have pasted over a scene and it converts to 24 plane, the editor does not allow me to paste a quantized 6plane image over top of it.

anyone else experienced it?

I don´t know what you mean with "paste a quantized 6plane image over top of it." You can only paste 6plane images in 6plane scenes. 

Its ok, i started over. 

One thing that is odd is after i did multiple scene replacement,  i notice the screen sometimes lights all pixels when it did not before. Like a flash between screen changes.

Ill keep looking into it.  Video to follow later this evening

Edited by trueno92

Question gents, how can i correct my 0 - pal0 palette?  It appears i overwrote it and messed it up, i suspect thats causing the flashing.

Ah i opened another project and saved the palette and reloaded it into this one! Whew

Edited by trueno92

Hi Lucky, I pasted a frame from a newly imported scene.  The import was 24 plane.  The pasted frame also says 24 plane.  When i try to paste the quantized 6 plane version to correct my work, it will not reset the plane to 6 plane but pastes the image, and leaves it as 24 plane, my work is corrupted when played back on rpin.  can you tell us how to change the mistake paste 24 plane image back to a 6 plane image for the scene?

• Content Provider

If the scene is corrupted you can export a old version of the scene an reimport it into your new project or delete the 24 bit frame from the scene

using "frame -". Before you delete you should note the delay of that frame and afterwards use the "frame +" to add a new frame and adjust the delay accordingly.

P.S. I uploaded a new version of the editor which should fix the real pin export of scenes with 24 planes . The scenes should be played back correctly without having to convert them to 6 planes.