PinCabView2D : Most old DOS Pinball Games in your Pincab!

Aubrel

On 3/24/2023 at 2:56 PM, Turnbull said:

Because i'm still stuggling with the integration of PinCabView2D in my popper frontend, only the intelligence of the VP universe can help me

Attached you can see my mess. So, my questions are:

1) What do i put in the red-marked fields? (see image attached)

2) How can i add the single pinball tables (e.g. Epic Game has around 13 Tables) using the "Add New Games => Scan for new games"-function? In my understanding of popper, there should be something like a table directory, where all tables of all games should be placed, right? Or do i need one emulator entry per game and then i give the .../epic/ dir as the game folder? An if so, how do i come to the table number, because PinCabView2D_Launcher.exe wants a number as parameter to start with a specific table..

Damn, i'm mega-confused. Who can cure me?

Turnball, im with you. If there is some instructions around popper frontend setup i would be most grateful 

Thats what I thought should happen like everyone else is reporting, when you say extract the full PinCabView2d archive, do I also extract the other files such as ArcCabView_Mame and PinCabView_Run etc into a folder? I extracted all of the .7z files as well. I will try to only unzip PinCabView2D_3.3 and see what happens.

Also are the tables stored as .iso files or in original dos format (8.3)?

Edited by Bunter2000
additions

Well I tried installing all the archives into the same directory - that did not work, plus it had to overwrite everything so that was not good.

Found another .ini file inside the pincabview2d folder and managed to get the path changed as well as the correct name of the .exe file. I still have a few issues to rectify but all is working so far.

I started again and only installed the PinCabView2d archive file (nothing else) and all works, so I guess I now have a windows pinball player for old DOS pinball games.

This maybe a silly question as I am totally new to this virtual pinball scene, do I need to extract anything else to integrate into pinup popper configuration? 

Thanks again in advance.

Bill 

Edited by Bunter2000
removed double words

• Content Provider

Glad you managed to get it working.

About frontends, you need to know how to use your frontend.

If you don't, ask for help to the FE autors or in their support threads.

For my part I don't know anything about Poper as I never tried it.

But I think any Frontend should be able to run an exe with a command...

Thanks again,

The system I am running is an 15-4670 with a 2Gb Nvidia 710 graphics card, 8Gb RAM with win 10 installed on an SSD which I thought would be enough.

It plays (steam) FX3 and Zaccaria as well as Future Pinball and PinballX through Pinup Popper and all pinballs play perfectly including sounds but any of the DOS pinballs are very slow and the sounds and effects badly stutter making the game unplayable , I assume dosbox needs tweaking - can you point me to places I can search for a possible fix.

Or can tell me where to look in the configs. I tried all sound options within the DOS pinballs and the best options I could get were either soundblaster or soundblaster 16. But even with "No Sound" selected the balls travel very slowly with sounds still playing - which I thought odd??

• 1 month later...

I was googling a way to experience old classic pinball dos games such as Psycho pinball with that authentic feeling of a physical pinball machine. Really impressed with the work that has been put in to this. Is the software still in development?

Im kind of starting from scratch here, what kind of hardware(computer spec) is needed for this?

• Content Provider

My cab is running an Intel i5 3570k CPU @ 3.40GHz (i.e., the technology is from 2012). The games are DOS. I think you'll be fine with whatever you are running. Give it a try. I haven't tried this project yet, but I do run the sister projects PinCabView, PinCabViewWFS, and PinCabViewVPX. They all work impressively! 

• 9 months later...

Hello!

Any chance quicklaunch for Epic Pinball, Psycho Pinball, etc. can be added in the future? I tried to mess around with the .ini file, but I can't access to where you assign the 2nd parameter in the exe launcher, to the corresponding function key, which once the assignment has been done, will be linked to the "f" key (so that the .ini file knows what function key to trigger when the "f" key is virtually pressed). Since those games don't allow the table launching trough a specific key (like the funcion keys for pinball dreams, etc. that is why the quicklaunch is working for them), we kinda need a sort of "key-press-sequence" to allow the system to launch a specific table.

For example: if we want to quicklaunch Epic pinball table number 5, we will need to assign a key press sequence to that "f" key that the .ini file is launching, like "SleepTime4=1500, Key4=Down, SleepTime5=1500, Key5=Down, SleepTime6=1500,  Key6=Down, SleepTime7=1500, Key7=Down".

In this way we managed to go down 4 times in the menu, so being able to select the 5th table. Then we will just use a couple of "KeyX=Enter" more to finally launch the table.

All we need to do is to transform the value of the parameter in the exe in a sort of counter which will be used to trigger a given number of "KeyX=Down" events.

That at least would work for Epic Pinball. I don't think this could be working for Psycho Pinball, for example, since the table selection, in the menu, is made by using the 4 different cursor keys: up for north table, right for east table and left for west table (south table is selected by default, so no action is needed here). The whole logic would change from a counter system, which iterate X times to trigger X KeyX=Down events to a switch system or an if/else statement system where we can define one of the following:

• (switch) case 1: KeyX=Up, case 2: KeyX=Left, case 3: KeyX=Right, case 4: just keep pressing enter
  • (if/else) if (parameter ==  1){KeyX=Up;} else if (parameter == 2){KeyX=Left} else if(parameter == 3){KeyX=Right} else if(parameter == 4) {//do nothing}} else{//parameter is not valid, handle the exception}

Just throwing some ideas on the table, but I don't have idea on how to implement such things :P

Thank you for the software anyway, it is amazing to run in my PinUpPopper frontend!

Cheers!!