Jump to content

Smart power switch- any options to reduce PSU idle power?


Recommended Posts

I have a 'smart power switch' that does not work consistently. The strip has a calibration feature; which I dialed to the point that it triggered the way I expected it to do so- this happens to be the "MAX" setting.


At first, the power stip didn't trigger at all- the USB devices also kept their power so I switched the "S4/S5" setting in the BIOS. That did the trick- the USB devices were no longer active.

The strip now triggers roughly 20% of the time I shutdown the system- leaving 80% of the time the TVs and my LED power supply switched on.


Did anyone have a similar problem? How to fix this? I am tempted to unplug the cabinet entirely as alternative and leave the PC on autoboot when power is available ("power on after power loss" BIOS option).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I wired in a sw at front bottom of cab in parrallel with the start switch on the PC. so it act the same as  a normal start switch on the PC. Then I took a spare ATX power from the PC power supply - 12v and use it them to fire 2 x Fuse protected AUTO  (Car Horn Relays) rated at 30A each. I did put a diode over the coils of the relays as well. The relays control the 12vdc and 5vdc to rest of the cab. So when I turn the PC on it in turn turns on the 12VDC and 5vDC. Cheap as to do.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

I use a power saving board with PC as the master. to power it on I have the option of a switch extended to the front of the cab as many do or I use google home to power on using one of these below. Its powered by an always on USB port on the PC . Hey Google turn on pinball. (Similar to this one) https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/393424910209?hash=item5b99f3b781:g:YjUAAOSw3CFg4DOh


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

I bought one of these from eBay:


30A High Current Contactor Switch 12V Electric Relay Board DC Power Control


I live in Ohio USA. The relay board arrived in about 2 weeks from China.


My main power cord has 3 plugs available, I have the main pc power supply and a modified standard power strip plugged in here. One of the AC lines of the normal power strip is cut and wired to the relay board.

I wired the pigtail of the relay board to a 12v IDE from the main pc power supply.  I have a momentary pushbutton wired to the power switch pins on the motherboard. The pushbutton is mounted where the power switch was under the pinball.

When I push the button, the pc turns on, applying 12v to the relay board, giving power to the modified power strip which powers the monitors and speakers, etc



Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion, tapping from the PCs 12V might be the best solution I guess, I checked with a multimeter and there is still some power seeping through when idle but likely the current is low enough to keep the relay from switching.


To be honest- I solved it in a different way entirely at the moment; since I added a Philips Hue LED strip as undercab lighting I also added a smart power plug. When I hit the lightswitch of the gameroom, the pin switches on as well. It's just that I need to shut down the PC before switching the lights off as well.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...