Maverick Colorization

Hi,

does anyone maybe already has started with the colorization of Maverick pinball? I know the list from @Terranigma... 

But to be sure I rather ask the guys before I will start a new project.

I own this pinball and like to start installing the pin2DMD Display XL and taking some dumps in the next weeks.

Are there boundary conditions or wishes which I should pay attention like creating 16 oder 64 color project?

greetings

• Content Provider

Sounds good! As you know, Vpin users can't run 64 colour files "at the moment" unless they have real Pin2dmd hardware. Freezy will update eventually and the benefits of 64 colours will then be available for all. So I would recommend to go with 64 colours if you can, as everyone will be able to enjoy the extra depth of colours in the end. Try and test on the latest version of the Pin2dmd firmware as well, this will ensure you have all the fixes and features that may not be available in previous ones.

@Wob is able to run 64 colour Vpin files with his setup, so if you need someone to test, he may be able to do it for you when the time comes. Hopefully others with the real pin can also help test too and you will have all versions covered.

Another recommendation is to check your game and display rom versions and possibly update to the latest. I'd be happy to help with that if need be.

Totally up to you how you go forward with the project, so this is just some feedback for you.

Thanks and good luck!

• Content Provider

Hi,

I agree with @Terranigma, I would think any new project should go with 64 colours to make the most of what is on offer. That said I wouldn't be able to fully test side\side for Maverick at this stage as it needs to be scaled down to fit on my Standard PIN2DMD (128x32) and when I recently testing another XL Display game it looks very poor actual display, luckily it was a 16 colour project.

Happy to produce some early dumps if you need and hopefully by the time you get to testing phase 64 bit colour has made its way to a Virtual DMD (eg Freezy's DLL)

Cheers,

Wob

• 4 weeks later...

Now a new Pin2DMD is installed into my Maverick pinball.

I did some recordings and started the coloring and keyframing work.

Here are some impressions 🙂

I would like to upload some more, but it seems that my upload volume is limited.KingDot.gif.0bee51c8ad046dbbe0863dc8f385d09e.gifMel.gif.da9ef8ae23211f1220c464e2509620e4.gifMulti.gif.8e86b74c8a3d160a3fc801ee7f32c2f4.gif

I put the actual work to a google drive. There you can find the project files and the pin2dmd files for real and virtual pinballs.

If you like to do some coloring work and give me some support, you are welcome :-).

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nu8tkQR6kAZ4ULuXcTMFrCvy0QHvFa4l?usp=sharing

At the moment most of the attract mode scenes are working and the bonus collecting scenes when the ball is lost.

Edited by Newbie77

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The last weeks I didn't found the time to move the project forward.

The coloring and keyframing of the attract mode is finished.

If anyone wants to work on the coloring and likes ro put the  dots, let me know, so that I can do the keyframing for these scenes. 

greetings

• 1 month later...

Hi I came across this today and tried it on my vpin, couldnt notice a difference at any of the scenes above using the vni & pal file, both named correctly using the right ROM in Altcolor. What you have done looks great so far judging by the pics above though. I'm on Freezy 1.90.

Cant wait to see this one come to fruition. Its a great game thank you for sharing and seeking feedback.

On 12/27/2021 at 6:06 AM, blackvulcan3 said:

Hi I came across this today and tried it on my vpin, couldnt notice a difference at any of the scenes above using the vni & pal file, both named correctly. I'm on Freezy 1.90.

These only work on Pin2dmd supported 64color mode.(Lucky1s DLL)

Freezy does not currently support this mode. 

• 11 months later...
  • Content Provider

I believe this one is on hold at the moment, Newbie77 can correct me if I am wrong. From what I have seen, the attract mode is the main thing that is coloured and I am looking at resuming this on my end. 

Unfortunately there have been a lot of other things that have come up over the past month and that has consumed most of my time. We also have quite a few other projects on the go that are near completion, so trying to give those a hand to get over the line at the moment.

On 12/27/2021 at 7:06 PM, blackvulcan3 said:

Hi I came across this today and tried it on my vpin, couldnt notice a difference at any of the scenes above using the vni & pal file, both named correctly using the right ROM in Altcolor. What you have done looks great so far judging by the pics above though. I'm on Freezy 1.90.

With Maverick, I will honour whatever format Newbie77 wants to release in for Vpin if I end up on this one. However, if you are planning on waiting around for VNI files for a lot of new releases, you may be disappointed. From what I can tell, most if not all of the projects I have on my radar will be releasing as PAC exclusively. This is the authors choice, and while I support all formats, please understand that they are the ones creating the content so it is up to them how they wish to distribute their files. There is a new format as well if you have not seen, that is also an option and you can read all about that one in the other sections of this forum. Heaps of choices for everyone now. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...