New animated wheels "APNG" - does anyone know a program with which you can compress (reduce) these wheels?

timblo

Hello In itself I think these new animated wheels "apng" are not bad. But I think the file size for many is quite large (up to 20 MB and more) is there a tool (e.g. handbrake for videos) with which you can reduce this a little? I didn't really find anything on google thank you for the information

My guess is that the applications used to build the apng wheels already do a pretty good job at lossless compression.

If you want to try lossy compression then i've had some good results using pinga/pingo before, https://css-ig.net/pinga (pinga has an interface, pingo is a cmd line utility that does the same).

Just make sure you work on copies of the wheel images (as pinga will overwrite the file as processes it), and i think you'll need to change the file extension from .apng to .png for the pinga drag drop interface to work, then change the file extension back after.

So I think the main issue ,and I'm guilty of it for sure, is that some of the APNGs durations are way too long and so the file sizes are big. 3  sec loops are probably optimum, in my opinion, for size vs content. I use screen to gif and it doesn't really give any settings for tweaks for file size, except if you want to make a Gif file.

• Content Provider
On 8/4/2021 at 1:55 AM, ionman99 said:

So I think the main issue ,and I'm guilty of it for sure, is that some of the APNGs durations are way too long and so the file sizes are big. 3  sec loops are probably optimum, in my opinion, for size vs content. I use screen to gif and it doesn't really give any settings for tweaks for file size, except if you want to make a Gif file.

Have you tried reducing the frames? On my larger ones I drop every second frame so overall size is halved. I don't notice any difference. There was some nice wheels done the other day but up in the 50mb size. I work 5 to 10 seconds on mine but agree shorter is a better option. Im also using SCG

• 2 weeks later...