Tales from the Crypt Colourisation #2 WIP

One thing I am having trouble with is the Thunderstorm scene

Do I need to colour the whole 20 second countdown?

Currently I have only coloured 2 seconds and this works fine but after the 2 seconds it goes back to the standard pallet.

If another scene interrupts it within or after the 2 seconds the scene returns colourised but once again it only lasts for 2 seconds.

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, SpaceGambler said:

One thing I am having trouble with is the Thunderstorm scene

Do I need to colour the whole 20 second countdown?

Is the Thunderstorm scene the last image you posted? If so what is your keyframe for that scene and what is static content? If the word "Thunderstorm" never changes, doesn't appear in the game again in that exact spot and doesn't disappear for the whole scene you could use that via a Detection Mask. Be wise with your detection masks though, you are limited to how many you can use and you will want to use them for other scenes if possible.

One very, very basic example of reusing a detection mask is below. Please note this is only an example and may not be the best for your project. This is the same detection mask but it is applied over an area of static content that never changes in both scenes that are unique. If for example there is another scene in the game called "CRAZY DEAD" and dead is in the same spot as below, this won't work. If there is another scene that counts the X out of X hits for in the same spot, this also won't work. Again this is just a basic example from what you have posted above. 

If the text 5 Million never changes and is static, you could actually use 1 detection mask to detect the 5 Million and also the "Nice Shot" and "Skill Shot" as long as those words never change for the duration of the scene.

Hope that makes sense!

mask.jpg

On 7/21/2021 at 10:01 PM, Terranigma said:

Is the Thunderstorm scene the last image you posted? If so what is your keyframe for that scene and what is static content? If the word "Thunderstorm" never changes, doesn't appear in the game again in that exact spot and doesn't disappear for the whole scene you could use that via a Detection Mask. Be wise with your detection masks though, you are limited to how many you can use and you will want to use them for other scenes if possible.

One very, very basic example of reusing a detection mask is below. Please note this is only an example and may not be the best for your project. This is the same detection mask but it is applied over an area of static content that never changes in both scenes that are unique. If for example there is another scene in the game called "CRAZY DEAD" and dead is in the same spot as below, this won't work. If there is another scene that counts the X out of X hits for in the same spot, this also won't work. Again this is just a basic example from what you have posted above. 

If the text 5 Million never changes and is static, you could actually use 1 detection mask to detect the 5 Million and also the "Nice Shot" and "Skill Shot" as long as those words never change for the duration of the scene.

Hope that makes sense!

mask.jpg

Thanks, got that worked out, now I have another issue.

It seems there is a delay on the colour masks on the real pinball. All looks good on the editor, but when played on the real pinball, the colour mask from the previous one or two frames is lingering.

Is there a delay setting or something?

• Content Provider
4 hours ago, SpaceGambler said:

Thanks, got that worked out, now I have another issue.

It seems there is a delay on the colour masks on the real pinball. All looks good on the editor, but when played on the real pinball, the colour mask from the previous one or two frames is lingering.

Is there a delay setting or something?

This can happen when the following scene has some frames in it that you haven't keyframed. There are a few ways to approach this. You can set the delay on the colour mask scene to a lower number, but if the new scene has frames that aren't triggered, instead of getting bleed you may get a default palette colour. So it is best that you try and find all the missing frames and add in a trigger for the them. There is a method also used to black out those first few frames until there is a solid frame that has a longer delay, this longer delay frame is more likely to be a recurring frame that will trigger 100% on this scene every time. Frames with a smaller delay may not be reliable enough to occur every time on a real pin. It also depends if you're triggering a replace scene afterwards or a colour mask. It can be ok to black out a few dirty frames on a replace as you can control the duration much better, not so much if the scene is a colour mask as you don't really want dynamic data to be blank. I'm sure someone with more knowledge can chime in here, but the idea is to try and work out a plan to deal with those transition frames.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/8/2023 at 5:38 AM, SpaceGambler said:

Hi all

I haven't touched this in a while, I have made an OK start on it, still probably lots of work to do but here is the entire project.

Feel free to have a play, add to it and/or do whatever you like.

I will get back to it eventually :)

TFTC Colourisation.zip 12.84 MB · 44 downloads

Hi SpaceGambler i'm trying to download the files of the Tales from  the crypt PIN2DMD proyect, but the file its broken. I hope you can upload a new one.

thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...