Jumping on point…

Hello… so I have toyed with the various versions of pinball software for as long as I can remember but never really committed to it. Instead choosing the easy path of Pinball FX etc. I now have space, time and resource to build a cab (just finished my arcade one) and am wondering what a good jump on point is. I like the idea of picking tables, getting them Working how I want before moving to the next, but there just seems a over whelming choice of software, tables.. supporting software etc.

Any one have any advice on where/how to start!!

There is no right answer there is a lot of info. i would start with the Baller Installer

https://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=baller_installer

For Cabs id check over the MJR build guide

http://mjrnet.org/pinscape/BuildGuideV2/BuildGuide.php

the Discord is a great place to ask any questions as well.

with that you should have all the starting info and then the rest will come.  Please always remember that 99% of problem's is setup. 

Most importantly enjoy it, I am in the middle of the build part of my cab and I am about 6 months in. if you have questions please ask there are so many helpful people.

Thank you, that cab link is amazing! 

Ive gone with the baller installer to get started, I looked at PinballX as well. I guess some my confusion is around table versions and software, there seems to be numerous versions of Visual Pinball and a LOT of tables. Is there a way to filter out the cr*p, deal with naming conventions, gather media etc..

Am used to the “arcade” side of things where file names etc are killer.

• Content Provider

You'll want to focus on VPX (which is the tenth version of VP, hence the "X") - that's the most up-to-date version. This will let you play the tables, but you'll still need to download them and their backglasses and whatever necessary roms (etc.) you need. I think the installer will give you version 10.6. Currently, version 10.7 is in beta, so some table authors are already releasing tables that require you to have 10.7. Since you're new, I would suggest just not downloading the 10.7 tables until that is officially released as *the* version of VPX for everyone to use. (You won't mess anything up if you accidentally open a 10.7 table. It just won't work correctly unless you use 10.7). 

If you're looking for any specific tables, I recommend this spreadsheet: Visual Pinball Spreadsheet 3.6 It hasn't been updated in a month or two (and there are dead links to the now-shuttered VPinball site) but if you're looking for a particular table or know you like a certain manufacturer (etc.), it helps you find if it's been made in VPX. Other than that, just browsing the VPX download sections and trying different tables out works too.

And if you want my opinion on a front end, I like Pinup Popper. They have a built-in media server and video recorder, so it's easy to find or make the necessary media. Also, there are lots of helpful YouTube tutorials and such online. Just my two cents. I think there are plenty of people who use PinballX and enjoy it as well.

If you have any more questions, I'm sure more people will chime in to point you in the right direction