[Updated] How to Use SSF Impactor to Add Shaker Effect

• Content Provider

While Thump and other tools have largely replaced any need for SSF Impactor, there is still great value in how it can simulate a shaker if you don't have one. Many thanks to the geniuses behind all of this--my guide only leverages the work they've done.

1) Follow the instructions found within the DOFSSF-Install.zip file

2) Make sure you add bass.dll in your c:\DirectOutput folder if it doesn't exist

3) In Dof Config Utility, you only need to add the Shaker to the LED Wiz device you create (see pages 11-12 in the guide)--I would not advise adding any others to your directoutputconfig.ini file

4) Within your cabinet.xml file, you may need to tweak "ShakerImpactFactor" to get it working correctly (see below). Be sure you add everything under the <LedWizEquivalaent> section per page 13 in the guide.

image.png.358949baea12d6e0b5db59d583c280a8.png

I would strongly recommending the DOF Test Table and press "s" to see if it's working correctly. Tweak the factors in the cabinet file as you need.

If something isn't working, please let me know. Trying to recreate the process as I lost my original post on vpinball.

bass.dll DOFSSF-Install.zip

• Content Provider

No luck for me on this. I seem to remember there being a step we need to take in the DOF Config tool, where we add a virtual LED wiz and assign "shaker" to one of the ports. Is that nor right?

Also, B2SServerDirectOutputPlugin.dll seems to break the rest of my DOF (which in my case is just LEDs). I've tried testing one file at a time. As soon as I download B2SServerDirectOutputPlugin.dll, all my DOF stops working.

Edited by topper2k

• Content Provider

To get this to work, I needed to also follow the steps in the general Impactor guide (attached) to get it setup. That included editing my DOF Config to add an additional LEDWiz device and assigning the shaker to port 12 on that device. You shouldn't add any other DOF toys to the other ports on that virtual LEDwiz. You just need the shaker.

Also, the B2SServerDirectOutputPlugin.dll included above did not seem to work for me, but the one in the attached Impactor guide did. I'm honestly not 100% sure about this as I was making a lot of changes at the same time. But at least initially, the above B2SServer dll had the effect of disabling all my DOF toys (LED strips/matrix in my case). When I replaced it with the one in the Impactor guide, they came back.

I think the only thing I used from the above files was the bass.dll. I didn't use the cabinet.xml from either sources, but used them as a model to modify my existing cabinet.xml file.

So just note that if you already have a cabinet.xml file setup, you don't want to replace it with one of these. If you do, you'll lose whatever you've already setup for your other DOF toys. Just add the SSFImpactor bits to your cabinet.xml file.

DOFSSF-Install.zip

• Content Provider
59 minutes ago, topper2k said:

To get this to work, I needed to also follow the steps in the general Impactor guide (attached) to get it setup. That included editing my DOF Config to add an additional LEDWiz device and assigning the shaker to port 12 on that device. You shouldn't add any other DOF toys to the other ports on that virtual LEDwiz. You just need the shaker.

Also, the B2SServerDirectOutputPlugin.dll included above did not seem to work for me, but the one in the attached Impactor guide did. I'm honestly not 100% sure about this as I was making a lot of changes at the same time. But at least initially, the above B2SServer dll had the effect of disabling all my DOF toys (LED strips/matrix in my case). When I replaced it with the one in the Impactor guide, they came back.

I think the only thing I used from the above files was the bass.dll. I didn't use the cabinet.xml from either sources, but used them as a model to modify my existing cabinet.xml file.

So just note that if you already have a cabinet.xml file setup, you don't want to replace it with one of these. If you do, you'll lose whatever you've already setup for your other DOF toys. Just add the SSFImpactor bits to your cabinet.xml file.

DOFSSF-Install.zip 8.23 MB · 0 downloads

good point on the dof config. In this case, I have the Shaker on port 14, device 3. I’ve updated the instructions.

• ryguy417 changed the title to [Updated] How to Use SSF Impactor to Add Shaker Effect
  • Content Provider
On 5/15/2021 at 10:42 AM, topper2k said:

No luck for me on this. I seem to remember there being a step we need to take in the DOF Config tool, where we add a virtual LED wiz and assign "shaker" to one of the ports. Is that nor right?

Also, B2SServerDirectOutputPlugin.dll seems to break the rest of my DOF (which in my case is just LEDs). I've tried testing one file at a time. As soon as I download B2SServerDirectOutputPlugin.dll, all my DOF stops working.

Thanks for all the help testing the instructions, @topper2k. I've updated the instructions based on your feedback!