Finished phase one of my Virtual Pinball cabinet.

PinJimNC

Long story short, I got inspired to build a Virtual Pinball machine a couple months ago. I found an old tv in the attic to try out and learn the software, and downloaded some tables. Fortunately I got some info and tables from vpinball about a week before they shut down.  

I was instantly hooked. I actually enjoyed tinkering with the software and learning how to adjust the table settings to make it look better on my screen.

Seeing as I couldn't make do with a 1080p screen I went and got a 4k TV (Bravia x800h)

I had a computer my daughter used to use that I took for this project. Specs are as follows
i5-4590

16GB RAM

GTX 1080ti  (I took it out of my gaming computer and went back to playing video games on a 1060 🤢, fortunately a few weeks later I found a 3070 in stock 🤑)

Here is a video of one of my early tests: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVeeQ-ng9Cs

After playing with a keyboard for a while I decided it was time to actually get it in a cabinet so I could use some real flipper buttons. I ordered the button kit and the virtuapin kit. I also went and picked up some wood. Stupid me bought MDF and not plywood, just to make my life harder. I realized my mistake before I started cutting but I am really stubborn and just decided to go with it. 

Since I bought a 43 inch tv I decided to go with a widebody cabinet. It is roughly based on a williams design but since I am bad at cutting wood straight I made some small tweaks. 

Here is the basic cabinet in progress this has taken me a few weeks to get through.

cropped.jpg.c904519c5b548600732a29c8dfbe242a.jpg

Here I added the legs and started cutting button holes

crop2.jpg.46d2970ffdd00909e9ea21691d2e5a92.jpg

Testing out the playfield fit.

crop3.jpg.16d26c74df4273395c89df83a319593b.jpg

Paint and buttons installed in the cabinet.

crop4.jpg.d4a9a621f51a5b7656c708206cce648e.jpg

Backbox structure built and monitor test fit. The bottom DMD is an old 15 inch 4:3 monitor my parents had in storage. It is 12 inches wide by 10 high. The Backglass is a 24 inch monitor I had, but will be replacing with a 27" screen soon.

crop5.jpg.a511c9ea581b210c078be134629d1c07.jpg

Here it is all buttoned up for the first time. Sorry for the smudges on the glass.

crop6.jpg.5ed9b972e1ce7ed2ecf1b19a94f7c3d4.jpg

My son is playtesting it a bit, he needs some practice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M756ZZxjKmo

One of the best things is when I turn the computer on, the power strip clicks on and powers up all the devices in an On state, including the TV.

Edited by PinJimNC
add some info

So what is left and what do I plan to do next.

I still need to replace the backglass monitor with one that fits more snugly. Once I get the new monitor I will work on the backglass cover and trim to hide everything.

I want to learn about DOF and get some playfield speakers in place.

I only installed the backbox speakers, and need to add a subwoofer now.

I didn't light up any of the buttons, I have extra rails on the PC power supply that I plan to use, I just ran out of time and the right size wire.

I might do a reinstall of the software including a full PC refresh. I did everything manually following the pinup popper guide, I was happy with the results about a week before the new baller installer got released. 🤯

Many of the tables still need to be adjusted for the new playfield angle and standing position.

If you think of any "must haves" let me know and I will add them to my list of things to do.

Thanks for viewing!

Edited by PinJimNC

Looking great. I can not wait to get mine to the same state yours in.

I have spent to much time planning , I need to stat building.

I have the wood cut guess I should build it and less bench testing it :) 

Last night I was tinkering with settings and realized I could set the playfield sounds to output from the TV speakers. Now it sounds much better as the flippers and pop bumpers sound like they are coming from inside the machine, instead of blasting out from the backbox speakers.

Looks awesome :) 

For essentials, I was going to say for me it was adding plunger, analog nudge and a tilt bob. But it looks like you have that covered with the virtuapin kit. I just went the cheap way and did it myself with pinscape and a £15 KL25z

Hope you get as much fun out of it as I have 

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to get a 16:9 screen for the DMD so I will update soon once I get that installed. I bought a cheap 11 inch one and didn't realize it was a TFT display so it is really bad at viewing from my standing height so I am waiting for a nicer one to come in (hopefully today)