build log and experience NUCLEO-144 shield

Hello all! This is my first post and I wanted to share my experience with building a PIN2DMD shield for the NUCLEO-144.

Hopefully it will be helpful for someone else considering to build this setup.

So I went trough the follow steps:

Ordering

• Ordering the PCB from China (using Elecrow). This part was really easy! Just upload the Gerber file and change the Surface Finish to HASL Lead Free
  • Ordering parts from China, I ordered most (passive) parts from AliExpress, including the LCD panels (they even list them as suitable for PIN2DMD)
    • I couldn't find the required 2x36 pins female double row so I ordered 2x40 and sawed of the last 4 pins
    • I also couldn't find the required resistor network. It's a little bit unclear anyway what resistor network you should order. Looking at the PCB layout I guessed it should be a  bussed resistor network. I eventually ordered this from Mouser
  • Ordering parts from the US trough Mouser, I ordered the NUCLEO-F439ZI, the two IC's and the resistor network
  • Waiting for parts to arrive

Assembly

• Received 10 PCB's instead of 5!
  • Now it was time to assemble everything, everything went quite smooth except for the radial capacitors. Two of them where to high so I removed the two and put new ones in but put them down , not trying to get them in the way of the HUB75 connector.
  • Second problem, I ordered a waveshare SD shield, thinking it would have the same pin out... Of course that didn't turn out to be true so I made a smal adapter plate from breadboard and wires to fix this problem. 

Installation

• After all hardware was soldered it was time for the software part, starting by flashing the Nucleo to the newest firmware and flashing the pin2dmd.bin on it.
  • It was time for the first test, I hooked everything up, crossed my fingers and powered it on. Nothing... The Nucleo board started to blink but the panels stayed black...
  • Time for some diagnosing, I checked all soldering (including the hacky wiring for the SD shield). Everything seemed okay.
  • After reading around I figured out I forgot to put and SD card in. So flashed an SD card, put it in and crossed my fingers again. Nothing...
  • Why didn't it work? I checked everything again and searched on the internet. After a lot of searching I checked the closed problems on Github and found the solution!
  • Flashed the Nucleo board back to version V2-32-22 and it worked!
  • Now I was able to read the registration key and I just made a donation, so I'm waiting for the activation key!

So that is my story I wanted to share! I also started to play around with the PIN2DMD editor and it's a lot of fun coloring scenes! I own a Twilight Zone so I started coloring scenes for this machine. I colored 27 scenes so far, I'm not sure if people like it and want me to continue coloring?

extra.gif.c98c434a494b204121cb002ab4f0c2d4.gif

hitchhickers.gif.840a6e25ea7ff438531c9312e4716393.gif

slots.gif.fa1b852991c2bf704d4038749896c900.gif

Edited by MR2Turbo

• MR2Turbo changed the title to build log and experience NUCLEO-144 shield

Your coloring looks great. 

I built 10 of the V4 units some time ago, now I only build the EVO, much less work and much less expensive. Most of the work is done by PCBWay in their factory, you just need to solder on the LEDs connectors, screw it together and load the firmware.

I didn't really know how to order a already assembled PCB so I opted to build it myself. I might consider the EVO unit for the future. I really hope it might be one day possible to change the alphanumeric display on my BOP, that would really be awesome! I was thinking it would be cool to tap in to the cable connecting the sound and display board, it would contain the needed triggers for showing animations on the DMD.

I will continue coloring and try it on my Twilight Zone if it's more ready I will post the progress in a new thread under colorization.