Pin2DMD EVO Upgraded Hardware for Developers

• Content Provider

Hi @lucky1, me again ;)

So I've been testing colour files for people for a while now, dumping scenes, recording etc and now that I am doing a colourisation myself I was thinking of some new features.

You say that you should not dump while you have a colour file loaded as this can cause issues with the dump.

My question is, could we upgrade the EVO hardware either by putting on a more powerful CPU that contains the same architecture as the current chip, as a drop in replacement without any hardware revision necessary? 

So on the BOM instead of ordering the current CPU we can order one with more ram etc.

This would be for testers and creators/developers only and the main purpose would be so we could playback our colour files and dump at the same time without worrying about getting corrupted or dirty dumps. 

Getting a dump at the same time as you can record the screen of the pinball machine with the colour file playing can be essential to tracking down issues. I know a lot of dumps I have made with the colour file in have been fine for people to help fix issues but I understand the risk of running everything at once.

I'm not expecting some new hardware to be developed, just a way that we can make the current system more powerful for the purposes of development and colouring. 

This may break everything, it may not give an accurate dump in the end or it may not even be possible at all but I just thought I would ask to see as I wouldn't mind paying extra to get a small batch made up for myself and others who are in the same position.

Thanks for your time!

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, Terranigma said:

My question is, could we upgrade the EVO hardware either by putting on a more powerful CPU that contains the same architecture as the current chip, as a drop in replacement without any hardware revision necessary? 

So on the BOM instead of ordering the current CPU we can order one with more ram etc.

There is no stronger CPU which is pin compatible to the F4. F7 or H7 have a different pin layout. Furthermore those CPUs are not binary compatible without modification.

• Content Provider
Just now, lucky1 said:

There is no stronger CPU which is pin compatible to the F4. F7 or H7 have a different pin layout. Furthermore those CPUs are not binary compatible without modification.

Ok no worries, thanks for the reply. 

• Content Provider

I'm not expecting some new hardware to be developed, just a way that we can make the current system more powerful for the purposes of development and colouring. 

It is best to test and develop on the same hardware which is used in the end otherwise the end user might have issues which you don´t have.

• Content Provider

so we could playback our colour files and dump at the same time without worrying about getting corrupted or dirty dumps. 

Just because it is not recommendend does not mean that you can´t do it to track down issues. The only thing that could happen is that you miss some frames compared to a dump without colorization.

Archived