Freddy WIP

Hi all,

I've been playing around with modding tables in VPX and got into the different cool color DMDs here. I want to do a Freddy color job and have been recording and cutting scenes. I have watched the great tutorial videos and have looked over the works in progress and have a lot of questions.. But lets start with cutting scenes:

Q: When cutting a scene is it best to include the frames where the new scene is starting to 'materialize'.. As in you can see the first dots coming onto screen.. 

Questions in relation to the great long tutorial video:

Q: Is there still a mask limit of 25?

Q: If I wanted to is there anything wrong with not using many color masks and doing a lot of frame by frame hand correction? Sort of go frame by frame and really hand paint the dots to look good..

Other questions:

Q: I read there is a way to use video or pictures(frames of video in my case) and make frames with those? Is that true?.. Could I get screen grabs and redo the pixel art from the few digitized movie bits that are currently in my cuts...

• Content Provider

I only answer the questions I have the answers for. Other questions should be answered by other authors which have more experience in colorizations

5 hours ago, Kharloar said:

Q: Is there still a mask limit of 25?

Yes , but there is ColorMask Layered mode which has its own set of masks per scene.
You should use as few detection masks as possible, and reuse them as often as you can, because masks cost time and
can lead to latency which is recognizable during gameplay.

5 hours ago, Kharloar said:

Q: I read there is a way to use video or pictures(frames of video in my case) and make frames with those? Is that true?.. Could I get screen grabs and redo the pixel art from the few digitized movie bits that are currently in my cuts...

To use externally generated pictures or movies you can use animated gif import. The gif files need to have a resolution of 128x32 and use no more than 64 colors.

Ok Thank you I was wondering about performance and ways to edit that won't bog down the display. Just starting out but I dig it its fun After you get into it. I can't edit rite now powers out and its killn me lol 

If someone could give me a current run down of best practices for cutting scenes that would maybe help me decide if I should go back and recut some stuff.. I think I'm doing good but Freddy has a lot of materialize fade ins I'm not sure if I should keep all the initial dots.. And same with the fade outs.. I currently have them cut into my scenes but can go back if need be..

Another question:

Ok so say the score is displaying, then one of the effects either swipes across the screen or begins to materialize in.. and the score is still displaying 'behind' the incoming or swiped score.. 

Firstly I would create a mask for the fade in effect or claw swipe effect and that would allow the dynamic content, the score in this case to be displayed behind it?

Secondly if the score had been colorized the color would go away while behind the incoming scenes mask?

What if I have 2 dynamic scenes or more fading in and out of each other, will the under scene always distort from the above scenes mask as they fade in and out? Just wondering about ways to limit that if its the case...

• Content Provider

Just try and use the livepreview to see how it looks. Just generate the real pinball export and copy to the SD and the playback the dump recording in live preview mode with the display connected through USB

3 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Just try and use the livepreview to see how it looks. Just generate the real pinball export and copy to the SD and the playback the dump recording in live preview mode with the display connected through USB

Thanks for the help but I don't have the real deal, just using the great VPX version for testing.. Powers still out.. F%#$ 

If you or anyone else gets bored you could maybe fire up Freddy and with your experienced eye and watch the DMD and if you see any times where I mite need to do some tricky stuff or something.. Just pointers or things to look out for... I think i got things sorta laid out in my head but any advice is welcomed.. I have most things recorded and cut up to nightmare 5 but nothing dumped for and after NM 5..

I'm new to all DMD this so thank you all for the help and the editor..

So doing a bunch of replacement mode frames is slower then color masks? Should I try to focus on mostly color masking for now and go back for replacement mode after I learn more? I don't mind redoing stuff but I'd like to not if possible lol I got time so just reading and reading...

Is layered color masking fast as far as performance?

• 2 weeks later...

New question:

Im working on the beginning house zoom in and have a few questions:

How do I use "64 color" mode?.. as in is there a place to activate it? I cant seem to see it anywhere and I thought I had before..... I'm out of colors and would like to add some blues and maybe yellows to the scene..

Also the house in normal DMD looks like crap (Like most of Freddy's DMD scenes, sorry but they just look like digitized ass mostly), see the "before" and "movie" pics below.. The frame I included was to show sorta what I'm trying to do with the scene.. SO question is:

On my house scene, if I were to go in and use replace mode for ALL the frames would that slow down and mess up the playback?.. Id like to add window colors, more garbage, change the door shape and height and a porch light... SO if I do that and do a bunch of custom frames will it be pointless because it will be too slow?

Just click the DMD image and it'll display normal size dimension..

Regular DMD:

freddy-before

HOUSE in Movie 4:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/nightmareonelmstreet/images/b/bf/PQAAAB1Go9ODQklRon5j6Y62ywnYWVauBlMxPIUimjLtJCoARGcsEi1wP_qqbKRvup-atcBXKC4VNqmoQ-NxV1oDLHEAm1T1UKoAkno3280_hCfU8J7B7pHeA8JM.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130530163722

CoLoUR WIP:

freddy-after

..AND yes I have sat and watched ALL the movies over again... better then I remember.... 6 is awful... but this is the dedication I'm bringing to this lol ;)

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, helios said:

Looking good!

Thanks! I'm still tinkering on this... but I've gotten sidetracked working on cleaning up Aaron Spelling... that came out weird.... ;)

and finishing my mini 3D printed pin sim for VR... the weather has been nice for a few days so getting close to finished with the paint job finally..

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Last visited

May 27, 2021

Ok seems he won't come back, hope nothing wrong hapenned.

I will be ok to try the colorisation but I need dump files especialy I'm a mac user... yes I know.

I can make a dump on a real machine but not before 6 month.. if someone can send me a complet dump or a partial one I could give a try.

Let me know if some are interested.