Firmware downgrade to 2.61

Gozzle

Hi,

I'm using PIN2DMD on a real Monster Bash pinball machine and am having issues with the colourisation at the transitions. I have installed the 3.19 Firmware and the results have become a lost worse than my previous Firmware version (2.65). According to the author of the colourisation, there are problems adapting the colourisation to the 3.0 Firmware.

I can understand the author's frustration that he has invested a lot of time in getting everything right in the colourisation, for a new firmware update to then ruin his work. Why can Firmware updates not be backwards compatible? Imagine Windows10 updating and then half the installed applications not functioning properly!

And now to my question: can I downgrade to the 2.61 firmware? Another pinball owner has a PIN2DMD working on his Monster Bash and according to him, the colourisation works well. He's using firmware 2.61 and I want to try it.

Thanks in advance

Goz

• Content Provider

I have never heard of any problems making colorizations look worse on the latest firmware. 

I myself have AFM, IJ, HS2, STTNG, STPRO colorizations running on the latest firmware and could not recognize any difference to any older version.

So if you could be a little more detailed about the issue you are talking about, it would help more than just saying "a lot worse" Maybe make a comparison video to underpin your claim.

You always can roll back to any version you want using the install methods described on pin2dmd.com

SD card downgrade is only supported to migration releases which is v2.68 and can be downloaded here 

https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/releases

@lucky1- Thanks for the feedback. Admittedly, I'm only going on hearsay, but apparently the author of the MB colour files told you, that  the firmware upgrade (to 3.05 at the time) negatively affected his renditions. Your input to him then was for him to fix the problem, without explaining what the problem could be. As such, he didn't know how to start to correct it and wasn't motivated to proceed, unfortunately. I'm now going to try to work with him on the problem, by sending him the renditions plus a dump file.

I must admit that "a lot worse" is very subjective, but is my opinion, as the transition effects seem to appear more often with the new firmware. I will make a video of the display using 3.19 and downgrade to 2.68 and make another video, which will hopefully show any difference.

Incidentally Firmware 2.61 isn't in the releases archives. Where can I find it?

Thanks for your support here.

Best regards,

Goz

• Content Provider

As far as I remember we talked about the increasing of issues after a fw update some month ago. It quickly turned out with help of Lucky1 that the firmware was NOT the issue, but it worked better and did not forgive a lack of optimization within the project than older ones did. I already refuted my thesis about that subject shortly after the discussion about it. I still would need to get a video to know what exact issues we are talking about. MB is in my update pipelilne and I would need videos from real pin owners, since on vpin it currently works a lot more stable.

• Content Provider
26 minutes ago, Gozzle said:

@lucky1- Thanks for the feedback. Admittedly, I'm only going on hearsay, but apparently the author of the MB colour files told you, that  the firmware upgrade (to 3.05 at the time) negatively affected his renditions. Your input to him then was for him to fix the problem, without explaining what the problem could be. As such, he didn't know how to start to correct it and wasn't motivated to proceed, unfortunately. I'm now going to try to work with him on the problem, by sending him the renditions plus a dump file.

I must admit that "a lot worse" is very subjective, but is my opinion, as the transition effects seem to appear more often with the new firmware. I will make a video of the display using 3.19 and downgrade to 2.68 and make another video, which will hopefully show any difference.

Incidentally Firmware 2.61 isn't in the releases archives. Where can I find it?

Thanks for your support here.

Best regards,

Goz

If you could make a dump of a complete gameplay with the glass removed and the ball rolled by hand over the playfield to trigger all possible animations that would be helpful for the author.
Best dump results you get under MacOSX with not colorization running on the device (SD removed).

52 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

If you could make a dump of a complete gameplay with the glass removed and the ball rolled by hand over the playfield to trigger all possible animations that would be helpful for the author.
Best dump results you get under MacOSX with not colorization running on the device (SD removed).

...but the problem is with the colourisation.  Why would a dump without colourisation help?

• Content Provider
44 minutes ago, Gozzle said:

...but the problem is with the colourisation.  Why would a dump without colourisation help?

It would help most to have a video recording in sync with the dump file, so I can see the issues and try to fix them with help of the dump file.

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, Gozzle said:

Because you might loose some of the frame data because of the resources used by the colorization and you can playback the dump with the colorization afterwards to see the problems.

• Content Provider
40 minutes ago, NetzZwerg said:

It would help most to have a video recording in sync with the dump file, so I can see the issues and try to fix them with help of the dump file.

Not exactly. See above .But any of both ways will help to fix the existing problems in the colorization.

Archived