Wip: Williams Satin Doll

chinzman93

• Content Provider

I have been looking for a table to do my first complete build for quite awhile. I wanted a table that I could start with the graphics and then do the table build and scripting without getting frustrated and stopping work. I think I may have found a table that didn't intimidate me from a graphics or layout standpoint. I have done a few personal mods of tables, but they were mostly alpha flasher stuff. I have never used a graphics program before (and have very little artistic talent). I am sure the process will be slow. I am using Leon's VP8 Satin Doll table as a guide to figure out the rules. Also, since I couldn't find much for playfield resources I am using the playfield image from that table as a transparency guide for tracing on the redraw. 

I ordered a copy of Serif Draw X4 off Amazon and it arrived yesterday. Last night I did some playing around with the software. Mainly just some doodling to figure out how some of the basic stuff works. Tonight, I spent a few hours working on the playfield redraw. I am drawing this at 2048 x 4096. I am not sure if this is correct or not. But anyway, here is tonight's progress. I know there are somethings that need adjustment (circles that are not circles and lines weights), but I just wanted to mess around and see how far I could get.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

The files is 2 MB, so here is a link:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff293/chinzman93/satindollpfcmh_zpsdf22e42f.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

I was doing the exact same thing, I just got sidetracked. If you need any help, just say the word. With your redraw, in my started version, we'd be ahead.

1366067753.jpg

1366067584.jpg

Here is the latest version of the redraw. I changed the color values of my redraw based on suggestions from Pinuck. Do you have any good resources for redrawing the 2 women on the plastics and the lights and camera? I am having issues locating them to complete the redraw.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff293/chinzman93/satindollpfcmh_zps6c04e621.png

• Content Provider

No, sorry, I don't. I can't redraw anything to save my life, so I was working with the stuff already in the table and updating the table objects.

Edit: I guess you're right. I thought the bumper images were wrong, but now as I remember I used to have a Pat Hand as a kid. :)

Colorwise, I like this one the best.

1366114893.jpg

• Content Provider

I'm not trying to steal it from you, I can put it in what I have and give it to you.

It's all good. Go ahead and use that version or the other version. I just wanted to let you know I wouldn't have plasty's done for a few weeks. But what is there, should be enough to continue with the build. How far are you with the table build, maybe I can tag along on that? I am only doing this table because I have never done any of this before  (graphics, VBS scripting, or editor work). To have an experienced hand, showing me the way can only be a good thing.... :D

• Content Provider

Actually, more time is on my side. I'd like to get distant world done, and it seems to drag on as I find more I want to do with it. As far as the scripting, if I can learn it, anyone can. I have most if not all done as I ported Leon's version into my template. What I would do to learn scripting is d/l my template (my site has the latest version). I explain everything on every line. It's a great way to learn, as well as a great starter table. It's basicly a pre-done game.

Oh, one more thing. You may want to move the pic up a tad, so the apron isn't cut off. I know it's that way on the original.

• Content Provider

Actually, more time is on my side. I'd like to get distant world done, and it seems to drag on as I find more I want to do with it. As far as the scripting, if I can learn it, anyone can. I have most if not all done as I ported Leon's version into my template. What I would do to learn scripting is d/l my template (my site has the latest version). I explain everything on every line. It's a great way to learn, as well as a great starter table. It's basicly a pre-done game.

Oh, one more thing. You may want to move the pic up a tad, so the apron isn't cut off. I know it's that way on the original.

Thanks! I will download it tonight and start taking a look.

• Content Provider

Thanks Itchigo.

More work on the back glass. About the only thing left is to finish the singer, put in the band, and finish the audience. I had to give the singer a tat....she needed to be dirtied up a bit!  girl_devil.gif

I don't know if I will leave that in the final or not....lol

http://i241.photobuc...zpsd2c6ca66.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

I think I am done with the drawing for now. The back glass has been completed. It has much more original lettering for SATIN DOLL. After I attempted to draw these letters by hand a couple of times (both failures...woof woof), Pinuck supplied a set with a great explanation on how he created them. He also supplied some suggestions on fonts for some of the text items on the play field.  Thanks Pinuck, greatly appreciated!

For the back glass I finished the other half of the band and added the curtain ropes and shadows. With Pinuck's letters looking so original, I revisited the pink dials behind them and worked them over. I finally figured out how to get the shading effect without using the 3D tool that made them look odd. These changes then required a new wheel logo which is now complete. The play field text sizes and fonts have been reworked. Also, the blue on the plastics has been adjusted to better match the original table.

If anyone see's anything I missed or botched, please let me know. Here are the links.

Wheel Logo:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff293/chinzman93/SatinDollWheelLogo_zps93f09c3c.png

BG:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff293/chinzman93/SatinDollBG_zps5b1cc359.png

PF:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff293/chinzman93/satindollpfcmh_zps499dfdd1.png

• Content Provider

Either or. Next week I'll be able do start on this and match the walls to your wonderful redraw. While The buttons look better than what I have, but they need to be darker around the edges (and a bit overall) so they look like hard plastic. Not that I know anything about graphics (and I don't), I'd use a darker color and I lens flare in the middle. The same goes for the same player shoots again light. Also I noticed you have a nice "rounded edge" around everything. This works for the plastics, but doesn't for the side wood rail, and upper apron, they have flat edges. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, because everything looks awesome , but I used to own the original.

Just saw the above post, yes, same rules as they are sister tables.

• Content Provider

Either or. Next week I'll be able do start on this and match the walls to your wonderful redraw. While The buttons look better than what I have, but they need to be darker around the edges (and a bit overall) so they look like hard plastic. Not that I know anything about graphics (and I don't), I'd use a darker color and I lens flare in the middle. The same goes for the same player shoots again light. Also I noticed you have a nice "rounded edge" around everything. This works for the plastics, but doesn't for the side wood rail, and upper apron, they have flat edges. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, because everything looks awesome , but I used to own the original.

Just saw the above post, yes, same rules as they are sister tables.

By buttons, I assume you mean the rollovers? Yeah, I had them this way to simulate a light on. The same for the play again. I was just going to wait and adjust those with the rest of the inserts. I am guessing you will need a lights on and a lights off for the playfield? The plastics do need work, I haven't quite figured out the software yet to make a hard edge on them yet. The pieces in the side wood rail are just place holders, I am trying to find something that has a wood grain texture that I can color and put in.

Good to know regarding the rules, IPDB has a manual for Pat Hand but not for Satin Doll. 

To get started, I assume you need:

PF ON

PF OFF

Plastics exported (Do you want these as individual pieces or for me to just export the layer and you split them up as needed?)

Wood Side rails when I find them

• Content Provider

The way you have the buttons now is much better. You have to understand, there was a small no. 44 (or 47) bulb under each one, that's how they are lit. For proportion, if the light was 35 units wide, the bulb would be about 15 wide. The bulbs didn't light up the whole button, they were bright in the middle, and about half as bright as you got to the edge. That's why a lens flare came to mind. Looks much better now. :)

Plastics: They can be all one piece, no problem at all with that. I can use them as is, just lit and unlit, please. I use a wall to give the plastic an "edge". Make a wall into a plastic, copy it and scale it 1.04 (in proportion). Make the wall with a silver edge (5 high), then make it side visable only. Then you'll see the image, and an evenly spaced clear "border" around it, and the silver is the edge. When I'm at work today I'll make up a demo at Rogue.

Archived