PC Specs Help

greasymjae

Hello Everyone

I am new to the world of Virtual Pinball, but am very excited to try my hand at building my own cab. I know this has probably been asked a thousand times, but would just like to know if the following PC specs would be ok to run VPX in 4k.

• Processor Intel i5-4690 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) 4 core/4 thread 
  • Ram 16GB 
  • Primary Storage 240GB SSD Drive 
  • Graphics Card Nvidia GTX 1650 SUPER PCIe Graphics Card

I know its an older CPU, but this setup fits my budget, with this system coming in at about $800.00 AUD, or if anyone has any better ideas for the same price.

Many thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Processor is fine. Only question mark is the GPU. I'm running a 3 screen setup with 4K playfield using an i7 860. That's a 1st generation i7 running at 2.9 GHz on the old 1156 platform. Could probably get that board and processor used for less than £50 here in the UK. So your i5 is better.

But I have a GTX1070 and I don't know how that compares to a 1660 super. I get pretty decent performance in 4K. I disabled lots of Win10 stuff like defender and updates etc. All my tables run nice and smooth at 60fps. I even had 13 ball multiball last night in Apollo 13 and was convinced it would stutter. It was smooth as silk. Just make sure all direct.b2s backglasses are set to run as exe. with the button on the left pushed in to run as default exe (when you right click backglass).

• 8 months later...

Hey Greasy, based on your experience with your build, any thoughts on how this might stack up? I'm pretty new too and don't really know one thing from another when it comes to processors and GPUs. Appreciate any insights. My Alienware Alpha R1 i7 is not handling three screens well at all (although everything is super smooth on just one screen).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Pavilion-Gaming-R5-1650-Super-8GB-256GB-Gaming-Desktop-Tower/943933730

• 2 months later...

I have two virtual tables, one using an ASUS GTX 1650, the other using an ASUS RTX 2070. Both are three screen full size units with 4k playfields. When playing VPX tables - like Medieval Madness - some of the video features don't work with the 1650, but the tables still play ok. The most noticeable thing in the MM tables is the Trolls don't pop up with the 1650, but do pop up when using a GTX 1070 or RTX 2070. However, if all I had was a table using a 1650 I wouldn't have noticed this. 

• 2 years later...

Hi - did not want to start a new thread so hijacked this!

Purchased a second hand VPin table, buyer was upfront and said performance issues / stuttering, etc.

Only reasons for this are either low processing power, poor graphics card or an incorrect installation.

Question is, do I do a full reinstall, or do I need to change the PC or just the graphics card? PC stats are:

Processor: i5-2400 3.10Hhz (4 CPUs)

Graphics Card: GTX 730

I am guessing it is the graphics card - although not sure if that graphics card is ok to run VPX and its rather some installation problem?

Would appreciate your thoughts.  I have heard that its all in the graphics card really and that i5-2400 should be enough - just wanted your thoughts

Many thanks

Edited by FieryPhoenix