Problem with power connector for SEGA 192x64 EVO XL board

I installed one of the 192x64 EVO XL boards in my friend's Baywatch pin yesterday. The connector on the EVO XL board has +18V on pin 1 (going left to right) and ground on pin 2. However, the power connector in the actual game has power on pin 1 and ground on pin 3. I believe the original displays have pins 2 and 3 tied together for ground.

Is this an anomaly in this particular Baywatch game? Or is there a mix of these games with the large displays that have ground on pin 2 or pin 3? Shouldn't the EVO XL board have pins 2 and 3 tied together for ground? I temporarily put in a jumper on the connector between pins 2 and 3 to get it to work. I built an adapter today with some spare parts I had sitting around that will be installed in place of the jumper.

@lucky1, any reason to not have pin 2 and 3 connected on the PCB?

adapter.thumb.jpg.83b535690d56617eb049a82a03d37fcf.jpg

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, dzorbas said:

I installed one of the 192x64 EVO XL boards in my friend's Baywatch pin yesterday. The connector on the EVO XL board has +18V on pin 1 (going left to right) and ground on pin 2. However, the power connector in the actual game has power on pin 1 and ground on pin 3. I believe the original displays have pins 2 and 3 tied together for ground.

Is this an anomaly in this particular Baywatch game? Or is there a mix of these games with the large displays that have ground on pin 2 or pin 3? Shouldn't the EVO XL board have pins 2 and 3 tied together for ground? I temporarily put in a jumper on the connector between pins 2 and 3 to get it to work. I built an adapter today with some spare parts I had sitting around that will be installed in place of the jumper.

@lucky1, any reason to not have pin 2 and 3 connected on the PCB?

adapter.thumb.jpg.83b535690d56617eb049a82a03d37fcf.jpg

There should be no problem connecting both ground pins together. I would put a solderbridge on the pcb between those two pins instead of the adapter.

I updated the pcb design on github

1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

There should be no problem connecting both ground pins together. I would put a solderbridge on the pcb between those two pins instead of the adapter.

I updated the pcb design on github

Excellent! Thanks for the quick response! The display is installed in the game so the adapter will be the easiest thing to do for now.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

would any of you have a picture of where I can pull the 18v and GND power for Frankstein?  

would it be the same as baywatch?  

would have a picture of the pcb from which it could be pulled  on the pin2dmd website I found some examples of where to get power on models of other boards, but it seems to me that this one I haven't found anywhere.  

And the installation videos for the pin2dmd model XL that I found are all from the old version, which already had a 12v power supply attached to the display.  

this makes it difficult to pull the power from the XL EVO models.  

Can you help me?  I'm sorry for the inconvenience again.

Cheers

I believe you should be using the same connector that was plugged into the original display. There is no need to run a new one from anywhere. It is a 4-pin molex connector similar to the one in the picture above. It provides 18v which is stepped down by the EVO board. It should be plug and play unless the factory display in Frankenstein is wired differently.

the connector of the original card would be the one in the photo.  and the exit of the plate would be shown in the photo.  but I removed the old display and put the evo and plugged the original cables and without success.  that cable you made, was it an adaptation?  Am I pulling food from the right place?

Screenshot_2020-09-28-23-02-35-042_com.whatsapp~2.jpg

Screenshot_2020-09-28-23-02-41-514_com.whatsapp~2.jpg

I got a diagram of the MSF.  

Where is it advisable to pull the food safely?  

could I pull the 12v to the pin2dmd XL board, as I signaled in this diagram with arrows, through two quick splicing connectors in this location?  

would be the best solution?  

let me know.  

thank you

IMG_20200929_003927.jpg

Archived