Better Gottlieb power location?

dzorbas

Is there a better location to grab power for a Gottlieb system 3 game than the connector shown in the picture on the pin2dmd.com website? I'm building a cable for someone and the preference is for it to be plug and play and removable rather than splicing/tapping into the existing wires.

Open to suggestions!

Thanks!

• Content Provider

At connector P1 of the display controller board A8 you find also unregulated +20V and at PIN5 and GND at PIN10. Maybe this place is better because there the 20V is only used to generate the +12V for the plasma DMD which is not needed anymore. Best way would be to crimp a Y cable using the same 10PIN Molex connector in male and female used on the board. I think the connector is a Molex Mini Fit. Please check against the DataSheet. 

MOLEX_3901_DB_EN.pdf

If I'm going to grab power from the 20v on the display board that generates the 12v for the display, why not just use the factory DMD connector and pull 12V (or 5V) and GND from it? I think we've had this discussion before. I actually have my pin2dmd display hooked up like this in my Judge Dredd and I have seen no ill effects after months of playing. I'm sure there is a reason not to do this that I am overlooking. I am more than happy to be educated on this...

gtl.jpg.48ede0cec040f20c6e71e4f2e92d4076.jpg

Yup, I'm aware of that as well and that's a great solution. Was just looking for something "simpler" where I could tap into the connectors in the back box. I've found a $2 Molex kit on Digikey that includes 2x3 male and female connectors and crimps.

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/0766500076/23-0766500076-ND/2115933/?itemSeq=318532778

It should be easy enough to build a Y cable and use Lucky1's original power location to grab 20v. I had the parts on hand to tap into the original DMD connector but watched a video where someone said there was some fluctuation in the 12v line in that connector. Not sure why he didn't just use the 5v but that may have exhibited the same behaviour.

I'll go with the $2 kit and the original power location and call it a day unless someone wants to chime in about the DMD connector...

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, dzorbas said:

If I'm going to grab power from the 20v on the display board that generates the 12v for the display, why not just use the factory DMD connector and pull 12V (or 5V) and GND from it? I think we've had this discussion before. I actually have my pin2dmd display hooked up like this in my Judge Dredd and I have seen no ill effects after months of playing. I'm sure there is a reason not to do this that I am overlooking. I am more than happy to be educated on this...

You also have to look at the ampere not only at the voltage. The circuit that generates the 12V  can´t deliver the 2 Ampere needed to drive the panel safely, limited by the components used in  the circuit. The same for the 5V circuit. The 20V can deliver up to 10A. You have to look at the schematics and the specs of the components to get the info needed. Constant overloading does not show its effects instantly. It can take a long time and in the worst case it not only burns a component but also your PCB and can cause unrepairable damage. That is something that can happen to your Judge Dredd if you have a look at the schematics. 

I will stick with the designated power points displayed on the pin2dmd.com site. It was easy enough to find the proper connectors and at $2 a kit, that's a no brainer. I was pretty certain that it wasn't a voltage issue but more of an amperage concern plus the long term effects on components. I will build a new cable for my JD as well.

Thanks as always, Lucky1!

Archived