Rookie mistake with side rails?

smellar

Been working on building a VP cabinet from scratch on-and-off for about 2 years now, and it's been a comedy of errors most of the time as I've never done anything of the sort before!  So far I've been able to recover from each of my missteps one way or another ... today though I think I've hit the one that I can't.

Today I attached my side rails. Nervous that it seemed to be a one-chance process, I did some practice runs first without removing the protective backing over the glue strip along the back - I concluded I should be able to position the rails correctly by holding them out at an angle from the cabinet, resting the top lip of the rail on the plastic glass slide, and then rotating the rail down to press flush to the side of the cabinet.

However when I removed the glue backing and did it for real it somehow didn't work out like the practice runs, with the rails sitting above the glass slide by 3-4 mms ?

siderails2.jpg.5aeb21a5737963792277977cde1183be.jpg

My lockdown bar now doesn't seem to want to lock in place no matter how I try, and I can only assume it's because of the additional height of the rail.  I tried to see if I could lift a rail off by prising it gently so that I could reposition it, but that glue strip is too darn strong so I can't see it coming off without damaging the rail or the cabinet decal or both.

Any VPU'ers here had any experience with this kind of thing?  I'm hoping there's something I can do to rescue my situation without buying more rails and decals and starting over again ?  Any suggestions would be very welcome please!

• 1 month later...

I had this happen on one rail but it was just about 1/8" up on the top end.  Tried to reposition but I could tell I was going to ruin the decal on that side.  That double sided tape is very very sticky!  You could lift your lockdown bar hardware a 1/4 of an inch.  Shouldn't be too hard.  Good luck.

Lane

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if I'm too late to the game on this one.  But from what I understand the issue to be, I see two possible solutions.  

1. while setting your lockbar down, mark where it's hitting the rails and slowly grind down the rail where it hits and restricts the lockdown bar from sitting flush.

2. Do what bushav stated by moving the lockdown bar mech up a little. 

Hope you get this resolved. 

Archived