PinDMDv3/Teensy 3.2 Conflict Has anyone seen/solved this?

Everly

I've hit a wall in the building of my table that I haven't been able to overcome.  I've reached out to a couple very experienced members of the community and I have seen this issue mentioned on a few different forums but haven't found a solution.  Here is what I am up against.

I have a PinDMDv3.  It works exactly as expected with the Pinup Popper Front End and with VPX Rom based tables.  Using the Launch script in Pinup Popper the DMD will display from Pinball FX3 tables using Freezy's DMDext Mirror command.  The DMD is shown on COM3 of my cabinet and I have the dmddevice.ini file configured for COM3.  I then moved on to installing my addressable LED strips using a Teensy 3.2 board.  When I installed that componant of my cabinet the Teensy was set as COM4 and in my Cabinet.xml file I have it set to COM4.

Here is what is happening.  When the Teensy is UNPLUGGED everything with the DMD works fine.

When the Teensy is PLUGGED in I get a PinDMDv3 Not Found error when I launch the Pinup Popper front end or a VPX Rom based table manually or thru the front end.  However, if I launch a Pinball FX3 table (either directly and setting up the DMDext Mirror command manually) or thru Pinup Popper allowing the launch script to run, the DMD displays correctly.

From my limited experience of troubleshooting this tells me that DMDext is accessing the PinDMD in a different manner than Pinup Popper or VPX does but I just don't know enough about what is happening behind the scenes to know where to look next.

I'm also interested to get a confirmation that someone has these two devices peacefully coexisting and operating in their cabinets.  The few I have reached out to do not use a DMD.  I doubt I'm the first person to want to use these two devices but I want to make sure I'm not hunting for a unicorn here by looking for a solution that does not exist.

Again, I am ASSUMING that because I can get the DMD to work with the Teensy connected using DMDExt I feel the answer is laying somewhere in a software setting, not a hardware issue. 

• 1 month later...

I’m having same issue as Everly.  Double D I don’t see this file on the site in the specified location.  Do you have a link?  I do have a pinDMD.ini file in my VPinMame folder and I edited the “COM” setting to match the com port of my pinDMD.  Still no luck.

For me I ended up having the ini file on my system, I just had to move it into the right place.  I ran a search for dmddevice.ini and the one that got everything to work was in my PinMAME folder in a subfolder called DMDext.  I noticed it had a different date/time modified stamp than the other dmddevice.ini files that I had been seeing.  I copied (overwrote) it into PinDMD3 subfolder and the PinMAME folder.  When I did that my DMD and the Teensy board got along ok.

Archived